The worst betrayal in The Godfather (well second because I'm sure Fredo would be #1)

If you think any of these are worse than Fredo, speak up

• Tessio setting up Michael to be killed

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Pentangelli ALMOST ratting on the family before being strong armed

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Fabrizio in Italy placing the bomb to kill Michael, killing Appelonia

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • The secret Abortion

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Carlo setting up Sonny

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Hymen Roth setting up Michael for death, on two occasions

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Paulie setting up vito / Clemenza

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Cicci for straight up testifying on the family in court

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • osu sucks

Votes: 6 8.2%

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Honestly, Tessio's betrayal was the absolute worst imo, dude was DAY ONE with vito, held down the family for ages, and the moment Don Vito died he sold out Michael and set him up to be killed by Tagtallia. That's hoe shyt for real. Fredo was an idiot and family jealousy allowed him to be manipulated by Roth, but Tessio was trying to take over the family and set up Michael AT VITOS FUNERAL.

Disgustya

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I think it's Michael killing Fredo. He definitely regretted it afterward.
:childplease: That was one of the most justified murders in the entire trilogy.

He was responsible for shooters hitting Michael in his home

IN HIS HOME :damn:

IN HIS BEDROOM WHERE HIS WIFE SLEEPS :damn:

Where his children come and play with their toys :demonic:

He betrayed the family, for his own gain. By the rules of La Costa Nostra he had to go. He out of respect let him live to say goodbye to their mother....fukk Fredo Corleone.

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
:childplease: That was one of the most justified murders in the entire trilogy.

He was responsible for shooters hitting him in his home

IN HIS HOME :damn:

IN HIS BEDROOM WHERE HIS WIFE SLEEPS :damn:

Where his children come and play with their toys :demonic:

He betrayed the family, for his own gain. By the rules of La Costa Nostra he had to go. He out of respect let him live to say goodbye to their mother....fukk Fredo Corleone.
Why did Michael regret it then?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Why did Michael regret it then?
That’s two different convos

Michael regretted it because it was his brother. I think he would have let him live out of Fredo being easily manipulated until he told him it was out of jealousy and greed.

But in terms of growing the family, Michael did not regret it and no one even questioned him. Even Kay never said a bad word about that decision.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York

Michael regretted it because it was his brother. I think he would have let him live out of Fredo being easily manipulated until he told him it was out of jealousy and greed.

But in terms of growing the family, Michael did not regret it and no one even questioned him. Even Kay never said a bad word about that decision.
His son did, "I have bad memories." That's why he let him sing instead of going to law school. Michael knew he was wrong for killing Fredo.
And his advice for Vince, "Never hate your enemy, it clouds your judgement."
It's the worst because the perpetrator couldn't even forgive himself. The mob rules don't jive the human nature. Fredo broke the rules and deserved to die but killing him is really life long punishment and torment for Michael.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
His son did, "I have bad memories." That's why he let him sing instead of going to law school. Michael knew he was wrong for killing Fredo.
It's the worst because the perpetrator couldn't even forgive himself. The mob rules don't jive the human nature. Fredo broke the rules and deserved to die but killing him is really life long punishment and torment for Michael.
I don't even know your point then.

This is about betrayal; Fredo betrayed Michael, put his entire family at risk, and lied about it to Michael's face repeatedly.

Michael killing Fredo was justified by the rules of La Cosa Nostra. It was painful for Michael as he got older but he didn't regret the decision; he regretted losing his family. Thats what the flashback at the end of 2 was, that's why he yelled for Fredo, that's why he embraced Vincent later in 3 because it was a way to rebuild the family as he retired.

Michael didn't betray Fredo. He told him straight up never choose sides outside of the family. His death was the consequence of that decision.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I don't even know your point then.

This is about betrayal; Fredo betrayed Michael, put his entire family at risk, and lied about it to Michael's face repeatedly.

Michael killing Fredo was justified by the rules of La Cosa Nostra. It was painful for Michael as he got older but he didn't regret the decision; he regretted losing his family. Thats what the flashback at the end of 2 was, that's why he yelled for Fredo, that's why he embraced Vincent later in 3 because it was a way to rebuild the family as he retired.

Michael didn't betray Fredo. He told him straight up never choose sides outside of the family. His death was the consequence of that decision.
He also seem to give him a heartfelt brotherly hug at their mother's funeral like shyt was all good and then he killed him. That's betrayal.
All their mob shyt was in the name of their family but then you kill a family member?
Are we just talking about betrayal or betrayal according to the mob rules?

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
He also seem to give him a heartfelt brotherly hug at their mother's funeral like shyt was all good and then he killed him. That's betrayal.
All their mob shyt was in the name of their family but then you kill a family member?
Are we just talking about betrayal or betrayal according to the mob rules?
Well, I hear your point, but I don't agree because the Corleone rules ARE mob rules. They're one and of the same and it's been that way since Vito killed Don Fanucci. Which is what makes Tessio's betrayal so bad to me.

The Corleone crime family is not a job. It's their life. Even Connie entered the life deep in 3. Fredo violated and paid the consequences of it. Fredo wasn't a brother at all after he betrayed Michael. He was just a liability.

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Honestly I think he decided Fredo had to go when Fredo said he was "smart." The contempt Michael showed in his face after that...

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
if the pentangelli character was actually clemenza as originally planned then that would be #1. sucks that the actor didn't return for it
Yeah, Clemenza testifying on Michael would be really bad... Arguably worse than Tessio.

I agree that Clemenza not being in 2 was bad...though I absolutely liked the addition of Pentangelli as a character.

Tom Hagen not being in 3 is worse than Clemenza not in 2 though...THAT was unforgivable

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Honestly I think he decided Fredo had to go when Fredo said he was "smart." The contempt Michael showed in his face after that...
Thats what I said. That dialogue is when Mike wrote Fredo off.
It's the worst because the perpetrator couldn't even forgive himself. The mob rules don't jive the human nature. Fredo broke the rules and deserved to die but killing him is really life long punishment and torment for Michael
His son was eight when it happened and had no idea of the world. I want to say it was Two or three years from when they shot up their house to when Fredo got popped.

Fredo betrayed the family and almost got Mike and his family killed in their sleep.