The world needs an African Game of Thrones

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Why don't you do it?

You know as a budding writer, I'm so fukking tempted. However, if I did do something like that, I would want to storyboard it here on The Coli before really penning it. The problem with that though is it would be really public before I wrote it and someone else could lift it and/or it would give away the book. Any ideas of how to go about getting feedback on here without giving away everything?

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
You know as a budding writer, I'm so fukking tempted. However, if I did do something like that, I would want to storyboard it here on The Coli before really penning it. The problem with that though is it would be really public before I wrote it and someone else could lift it and/or it would give away the book. Any ideas of how to go about getting feedback on here without giving away everything?
Start a Google Doc and story board it. Then either share it as a read only with folks you trust or send it to your self in multiple forms to self certify. That way you can protect your self. I used to do it all the time.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Start a Google Doc and story board it. Then either share it as a read only with folks you trust or send it to your self in multiple forms to self certify. That way you can protect your self. I used to do it all the time.

Oh shyt, I might actually do this. Thanks. Are you a writer?

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I am I write comics books though. My stuff is floating around here.

Send me a link?

On another note, back to the story. I'm actually torn between doing this with real African countries/cultures and creating fantasy ones akin to what Lee/Kirby did with Wakanda. The problem with using real places/people is being offensive and totally off the mark, and it could get dicey with history and politics too. The problem with fantasy is being offensive and not acknowledging the real people/cultures/histories of the continent.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Never mind. The way to circumvent this dilemma is just to create a fantasy continent similar to Africa, but not actually based on the continent. It would also allow me to insert elements from other cultures in the African diaspora and supernatural things without offending anybody.

Last edited:

Dwolf

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Murim
Send me a link?

On another note, back to the story. I'm actually torn between doing this with real African countries/cultures and creating fantasy ones akin to what Lee/Kirby did with Wakanda. The problem with using real places/people is being offensive and totally off the mark, and it could get dicey with history and politics too. The problem with fantasy is being offensive and not acknowledging the real people/cultures/histories of the continent.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Never mind. The way to circumvent this dilemma is just to create a fantasy continent similar to Africa, but not actually based on the continent. It would also allow me to insert elements from other cultures in the African diaspora and supernatural things without offending anybody.
Fantasy based on reality. Like Aurion.
But are you actually gonna do it tho :dame:

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Send me a link?

Thoughts?

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/my-comic-lawful-evil-new-pages-and-character-designs.389684/

I'd go straight fantasy. That way you can tell an epic unhindered .

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fantasy based on reality. Like Aurion.
But are you actually gonna do it tho :dame:

Thanks for the link. Looking forward to checking out your stuff.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Start with barebones framework/outline for a story and major characters. Can you be my accountability check? Give me a week.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Thanks for the link. Looking forward to checking out your stuff.

I think I'm gonna give it a shot. Start with barebones framework/outline for a story and major characters. Can you be my accountability check? Give me a week.
Sure I can check continuity. Just remember to write a series bible first. So you know who is who and the history of your world.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Fun question: what mythical creatures would we have in black fantasy?

Making that list now. There are actually a lot that we could pull from the folklore of different cultures in the diaspora. But I have some ideas about some new ones. I want to flesh out the list though. Do you have any you'd like to see?

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Send me a link?

Thoughts?

Research first

Emoryal

Superstar
Daps
Of course! Anything in particular you're concerned about, or feel authors constantly muck up?
I don't know I'm not a native African. It just seems like if you're basing it from actual African cultures researching would help you develop on it more.