The world needs an African Game of Thrones

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel that can work and would be a change in scenery from Europe. Same thing with videogames.

MalikReloaded

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 215
You'd could set it in so many different places and draw inspiration from so many real life kingdoms. For those who read Game of Thrones, Ancient Mali was kinda like the Reach and Oldtown where there was so much wealth, and sophistication and knowledge being spread everywhere. Like all the Maesters went to the Citadel to study, people came to Timbuktu to study. Egypt for that matter too. Ancient Egypt is like Valyrian Freehold being the most dominant kingdom. I can't think of a comparison for Nubia but, Ancient Nubia and Egypt have a Roman-Greco connection where they were enemies at times, but, extremely inter-connected at others. Essentially the same culture. The same way Greece led in Rome, Nubia gave way for Egypt. Those Zulu warriors are from a different time period, not ancient, but they were like the Dothraki and Shaka Zulu was like Khal Drogo. Candace of Meroe was like the Princess of Dorne when Aegon the Conqueror tried to conquer their lands. Except it was Alexander the Great who came knocking. Shorty showed up to Alexander's army riding an elephant with her army behind her. Riding an elephant :wow: Alexander decided Nubia wasn't worth conquering after that lol.....it's so much history that could be turned into a cool epic.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
You'd could set it in so many different places and draw inspiration from so many real life kingdoms. For those who read Game of Thrones, Ancient Mali was kinda like the Reach and Oldtown where there was so much wealth, and sophistication and knowledge being spread everywhere. Like all the Maesters went to the Citadel to study, people came to Timbuktu to study. Egypt for that matter too. Ancient Egypt is like Valyrian Freehold being the most dominant kingdom. I can't think of a comparison for Nubia but, Ancient Nubia and Egypt have a Roman-Greco connection where they were enemies at times, but, extremely inter-connected at others. Essentially the same culture. The same way Greece led in Rome, Nubia gave way for Egypt. Those Zulu warriors are from a different time period, not ancient, but they were like the Dothraki and Shaka Zulu was like Khal Drogo. Candace of Meroe was like the Princess of Dorne when Aegon the Conqueror tried to conquer their lands. Except it was Alexander the Great who came knocking. Shorty showed up to Alexander's army riding an elephant with her army behind her. Riding an elephant :wow: Alexander decided Nubia wasn't worth conquering after that lol.....it's so much history that could be turned into a cool epic.

It's up to black people to turn that into a cool epic :manny:

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
then write one:yeshrug:

Epic fantasy needs to leave medieval Europe. At least, that's what Marlon James, author of the Man Booker Prize-winning novel A Brief History of Seven Killings, thinks. In a recent interview, James talked about his upcoming book Black Leopard, Red Wolf, and described it as an "African Game of Thrones." And he's fully prepared to "geek the fukk out" with it:

He did. :manny:

Jards

All Star
Daps
Just seen this thread but been reading 'A Brief History Of Seven Killings' for the past month or two. If you enjoyed A Song of Fire & Ice you'd enjoyed this as the writing style is in first person from a few characters like George RR Martin. It's like a combination of ASOIAF with The Wire set in Jamaica. HBO just picked up the option on it.

Just started a thread on it:

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/a-br...illings-by-marlon-james.383648/#post-16815426

But an African Game of Thrones would be lit - I was actually thinking about this a few months back. Marlon James is def the right author to handle this.

Last edited:

Thighmaster B

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
African fantasy?

Like some evil slave traders would come by at some point and the locals wouldn't sell their own into slavery? Maybe the heroes would trip and fall at some point on their journey and they would only blame themselves for it? Yeah, that would be fantasy.

Maximus

All Star
Daps
Blacks were spread out and ruled Kingdoms all over the world for most of history. If we were to make an epic life-based fantasy like Game of Thrones, it would only make sense if the story concerned warring Black Kingdoms from all over, such as The Americas, Europe, Australia, South & Southeast Asia, and of course Africa.

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms could be it, but...

61azVS8%2BhmL.jpg

...You have to get everyday black folk to take an interest in such, not just the geeks/nerds.

Read the book, enjoyed it thoroughly. :obama: Black people ain't up on it because it's not rachet.

ChemicalBk

Super !
Daps
Reppin
Brooklynnn!!!
A brief history is so fire im gonna read day one if it retains the GOT/7 killings grittyness

I copped this morning n just put the book down

Hardest Since MC Ren

Kizz My Black Azz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yall want a cac to make it though:mjlol:

i plan on doing this when my money is right,,but its gonna be black people only

no cacs,arabs or asians

set at a time where all people in Africa were Black and life was great

c00ns aint gonna like it at all

Last edited: