The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, Switch, PS5, PS4)

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps

I've never played the Witcher before and was not at all interested in purchasing this game until I watched the first 11 minutes. The awkward pause and silence after the community manager said the game is 720p docked and 540p undocked was hilarious. They seemed pretty embarrassed. However, after the lead quest designer said that they programmed the trees to move with the wind unlike the other versions of Witcher, I thought that they showed incredible integrity that they would at least attempt to improve the game under the circumstances. The game looked beautiful at that point and reminded me of Breath of the Wild due to the moving shadows being cast by clouds. Loads of pop-in however, the game almost looks as great as Warframe. What won me over though is the dialogue tree. It made me think of Fable 1 and Fable 1 was one of my favorite action RPGs of all time. I want to buy the game now, even though I have no hopes of the combat being as great as Fable 1 or Breath of the Wild. Just need to figure out if I should download it or buy the cartridge...

• Dap
Reactions: hex

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I've never played the Witcher before and was not at all interested in purchasing this game until I watched the first 11 minutes. The awkward pause and silence after the community manager said the game is 720p docked and 540p undocked was hilarious. They seemed pretty embarrassed. However, after the lead quest designer said that they programmed the trees to move with the wind unlike the other versions of Witcher, I thought that they showed incredible integrity that they would at least attempt to improve the game under the circumstances. The game looked beautiful at that point and reminded me of Breath of the Wild due to the moving shadows being cast by clouds. Loads of pop-in however, the game almost looks as great as Warframe. What won me over though is the dialogue tree. It made me think of Fable 1 and Fable 1 was one of my favorite action RPGs of all time. I want to buy the game now, even though I have no hopes of the combat being as great as Fable 1 or Breath of the Wild. Just need to figure out if I should download it or buy the cartridge...

The combat ain't all that but it arguably has the best open world in gaming history. And the writing is GOAT level. Most of the side quests are better than other game's main stories.

The over all world is not as big as "BOTW" but there is virtually no empty space. You will feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere but if you travel a bit you'll find a town or city or NPC or cave or something to explore.

I love "BOTW" but large sections of the world felt....empty. Which fits the game but "The Witcher 3" feels like a far more realistic world.

As far as the dialogue there is some extremely heavy consequences for your actions. Think of the "Mass Effect" series if they actually accomplished what they set out to do.

And both DLCs are fukking incredible. "Hearts Of Stone" is like a short little horror story, but again the writing is great. And "Blood And Wine" is, no joke, longer than most games nowadays.

I copped this on PC but I highly recommend this game on any platform. It's that good.

Also pick up "Dragon's Dogma" for Switch if you haven't already. Another great open world RPG.

Fred.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The combat ain't all that but it arguably has the best open world in gaming history. And the writing is GOAT level. Most of the side quests are better than other game's main stories.

The over all world is not as big as "BOTW" but there is virtually no empty space. You will feel like you're out in the middle of nowhere but if you travel a bit you'll find a town or city or NPC or cave or something to explore.

I love "BOTW" but large sections of the world felt....empty. Which fits the game but "The Witcher 3" feels like a far more realistic world.

As far as the dialogue there is some extremely heavy consequences for your actions. Think of the "Mass Effect" series if they actually accomplished what they set out to do.

And both DLCs are fukking incredible. "Hearts Of Stone" is like a short little horror story, but again the writing is great. And "Blood And Wine" is, no joke, longer than most games nowadays.

I copped this on PC but I highly recommend this game on any platform. It's that good.

Also pick up "Dragon's Dogma" for Switch if you haven't already. Another great open world RPG.

Fred.
The game is definitely one of the best this generation and imo the combat was above average, not as bad like some people say. I was thinking of putting Horizon Zero Dawn down and playing this again I never played the las dlc

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ

Beat it on PS4 but never played the DLC. Game is GOAT-tier and I definitely look forward to playing it again on the switch although the compressed graphics while docked might be a little jarring after already playing on PS4:patrice:. Handheld mode probably looks better than a lot of switch games tho

The fact that they even got it playable on switch AND added all the DLC is a technical marvel in itself. Game had my PlayStation sounding like a fighter jet and was the last major game I played on it before I had to replace the fan

And the Gwent card game within the game is super fun too. I played through more than half of the main story before even trying it and got hooked. then I backtracked to all the previous places I’d been to for like 3 days straight just to play all the shopkeepers and get new cards :mjgrin:

PoorAndDangerous

Superstar
Daps
Beat it on PS4 but never played the DLC. Game is GOAT-tier and I definitely look forward to playing it again on the switch although the compressed graphics while docked might be a little jarring after already playing on PS4:patrice:. Handheld mode probably looks better than a lot of switch games tho

The fact that they even got it playable on switch AND added all the DLC is a technical marvel in itself. Game had my PlayStation sounding like a fighter jet and was the last major game I played on it before I had to replace the fan

And the Gwent card game within the game is super fun too. I played through more than half of the main story before even trying it and got hooked. then I backtracked to all the previous places I’d been to for like 3 days straight just to play all the shopkeepers and get new cards :mjgrin:
Bruhhh blood and wine is so fire you gotta play that asap

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I might be in the minority but my only gripe with this game is that they talk too much at times..I'm like fam just get to the point..

And I like story driven games but sheesh

Daps
Oh shyt I forgot I even had this game. Still ain't played it.
It is a MUST play for this gen. Probably my favorite game of the last decade

The first part can be rough if you've never played the other games. Stick with it until you completely finish the bloody baron quest. That is literally the deciding factor of whether this game is for you or not. I tell that to everyone and 100% of them have fallen in love with the game after that quest.

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition

It's a legitimate contender for my favorite game of all time. Watch a Witcher 1 and 2 recap and grab it.