The Wire

smoove157

Never Ever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
season 2 is dope to me. i watch both the wire and sopranos a couple times a year.

zabotka and them dock boys were gangsters. that's organized crime right there. i can see people thinking its slow or whatever, but it has nothing to do with them dudes being white.

plus mad stuff happens with the barksdale team that you can't miss. no way you can skip season 2

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:childplease: at saying "skip season 2" when the series is only 5 seasons long, and people consider it the GOAT.

Either you're all trippin for saying skip season 2, or it ain't the GOAT. How can it be the GOAT if you're telling people to skip an entire fukking season....and that ain't even the worst season? :snoop:

Fred.

Francium

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Season 5 is hands down the worst season. I didn't even hear people complaining about season 2 until I came here, and SOHH.

Fred.
Season 5 wasn't bad. It picked up towards the end. For me it went

S4=S3>S1>S5>S2

YBE

Banned
Daps
You can't skip an entire season :snoop:

It's all connected.

Season 1: Streets
Season 2: The Docks/Blue Collar
Season 3: Politics in Baltimore
Season 4: Educational system
Season 5: Newspaper/Media

Season 2 is boring to people looking for mindless action :bustback: but, lowkey its an important part to the story. Drugs dont get into Baltimore without the docks. The city knew it was going on. Everybody turns a blind eye to it. Building investigations against the Stanfield/Barksdale operations when common sense tells anyone the common denominator was the ports :troll: Baltimore looking like the 8th circle of Hell due to drugs & crime running rampant, while The Greek lives in complete peace 30 miles away from the monster he helps feed :troll:

bertyr

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If you look at the show in a bigger picture than just street life and drug war, you'll appreciate season 2 more. The Wire is a sociological take on how a city functions and fails it's citizens. It shows the economics and bureaucratic politicking that's involved in making it work, and how predators from various segments manipulate the system. At the end you also see how the system helps to perpetuate itself.

Here's an interesting article on why it's being offered as a course at some Universities including Harvard and Duke

Why are professors at Harvard, Duke, and Middlebury teaching courses on David Simon's The Wire? - Slate Magazine

Daps
Season 2 catches heat cuz it goes away from a lot of the characters they developed (and you come to love/detest) in season 1. (and not just on the crime side, they introduce a new dock cop that takes screen time away from the Major Crimes unit)

There was also a worry, when watching it live, that the show was whitewashing itself for the sake of Amerikkkan viewers.

However, when you go back and watch the season again, without having to worry about your favorite characters being written out or them tapdancing for middle amerikkka, then you really get to appreciate how great that season is.

Trajan

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Frankincense and Myrrh
Season 2 was the greatest portrayal of the downfall of organized labor in the USA i've ever seen. Hating on it is just ignorant. Plus The Greek And Spiros are :boss:

Exactly.

A lot of people are not familiar/interested in the decline of the unions. Unions and organized crime go together.

I love the Sobotkas...Spiros...the Greek. It's a different level from the street activity.

I felt Frank Sobotka. He was a decent man who cared about the unions. He wasn't really lining his pockets (lived modestly) but just had to do illegal stuff to keep the workers eating.