The Wheel Of Time - Robert Jordan's Books (Season 2/9.1.23)

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always look at people who criticize adaptive media based only on how faithful it is to the original like fukking idiots. If you are incapable of adequately criticizing a show without just saying boo it isn't like the books than just shut the fukk up.
*I haven't read the books but just going by reviews I have seen*
People expect some changes when adapted to a different medium but not to completely change it to where they have nothing in common besides the title.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I always look at people who criticize adaptive media based only on how faithful it is to the original like fukking idiots. If you are incapable of adequately criticizing a show without just saying boo it isn't like the books than just shut the fukk up.
The problem is this (and other adaptive works) only have interest and pre-established fans because of their source material. The world/places, the 3000 characters, the different cultures and the story is what sells this, or else it's a generic chosen one story. There's no reason of adapting a pre-established property if you aren't going to cater to the fans in some capacity. So any gripes are warranted, and should be expected. You need their support to help build your initial target audience. And that's what this show isn't doing at all. Now, a great adaptation will quell all of that.

This show has not really established the world or shown the places, the characters aren't much, and the story is run-of-the-mill. They're doing a great job of showcasing different cultures.

With that said, I'm entertained and enjoying this season. I can already tell that it will be Fantasy Intro 101, since they've thrown out the books, but they're doing a good job keeping me entertained.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
not being a fan of the books/novels gang wins again :obama:

all Wins, 0 losses :wow:
Yeah. I can't even really follow the plot TBH, but I'm entertained and I don't have to worry about anything now living up to my mental image of what I should be.

The problem is this (and other adaptive works) only have interest and pre-established fans because of their source material. The world/places, the 3000 characters, the different cultures and the story is what sells this, or else it's a generic chosen one story. There's no reason of adapting a pre-established property if you aren't going to cater to the fans in some capacity. So any gripes are warranted, and should be expected. You need their support to help build your initial target audience. And that's what this show isn't doing at all. Now, a great adaptation will quell all of that.

This show has not really established the world or shown the places, the characters aren't much, and the story is run-of-the-mill. They're doing a great job of showcasing different cultures.

With that said, I'm entertained and enjoying this season. I can already tell that it will be Fantasy Intro 101, since they've thrown out the books, but they're doing a good job keeping me entertained.

I hope they do more flashhbacks/hints to the "technological" past that we have seen. I think that's what makes this less "generic" ... the idea that this is sort of a "post-apocalyptic" story but SO far in the future that its an almost fully rebooted world.

I don't remember the exact quote, and I'm not going to look it up, but Ishmael had a line something like "It's been over 3000 years, and these guys are still beating each other up by swinging SWORDS at each other :hhh: "

Last edited:

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I’ve read most of the books. And I’m not mad at the changes in the show.

They had to condense this shyt down. Hard choices will be made. Can’t have this show run for 25 years to cover all the side characters wandering around and braid pulling.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
I’ve read most of the books. And I’m not mad at the changes in the show.

They had to condense this shyt down. Hard choices will be made. Can’t have this show run for 25 years to cover all the side characters wandering around and braid pulling.

Is the author involved with the TV show's production? I think changes would go down easier for fans of the source material if the OG creator is involved. Compare the original creators in the cut for HBOs TLOU and Netflix's One Piece to The Witcher and Cowboy Bebop where they said fukk it and freestyled.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Is the author involved with the TV show's production? I think changes would go down easier for fans of the source material if the OG creator is involved. Compare the original creators in the cut for HBOs TLOU and Netflix's One Piece to The Witcher and Cowboy Bebop where they said fukk it and freestyled.
He's dead. I don't know if the surrogate author who finished the last three books is involved.
His widow had to give permission for the series to be made anyway

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nope. He died and Brandon Sanderson finished the series. You’re correct that if RJJ was involved fans would maybe do less griping.

They still would have to cut this shyt down.

curz

Don of all Dons
Daps
Reppin
Dade
Peter Jackson b*stardized the shyt out of Lord of the Rings and nobody says shyt because it was for the better. Long winded fantasy novels can never be fully adapted to tv or film, everyone should know that.

Arianne Martell

"Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken"
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
House Martell #SnakeGang #Targset
Peter Jackson b*stardized the shyt out of Lord of the Rings and nobody says shyt because it was for the better. Long winded fantasy novels can never be fully adapted to tv or film, everyone should know that.

this is so true!

I just finished Malazan Book of the Fallen

and in order to present these stories for TV it might me impossible to tell the story exactly like the books.

Uchiha God

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk yall nerds, this shyt entertaining :wow:

They have a dude that’s meant to be child of the prophecy struggling between what he’s destined to be and his humble upbringing and just caring for his friends

They got undead nymphomaniac bytches

Slow aging men-hating witches/wizards (the most passionate one being a turncoat that got smutted out and is hiding a child like Drake did Adonis)

They got some random healer chick that supposedly has the most magic raw power

A breh that’s turning into a werewolf or some shyt

Some cac that found a dagger that was corrupting him

Some big bad guy that goes around giving speeches and is currently aligned with a foreign empire to use their armies for the upcoming war

And a bunch of other shyt - nikkas just pulled all fantasy cliches and threw it in that pot to make gumbo. And it’s making every episode fly by :yeshrug:

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...

They have a dude that’s meant to be child of the prophecy struggling between what he’s destined to be and his humble upbringing and just caring for his friends

Slow aging men-hating witches/wizards (the most passionate one being a turncoat that got smutted out and is hiding a child like Drake did Adonis)

Some big bad guy that goes around giving speeches and is currently aligned with a foreign empire to use their armies for the upcoming war

And a bunch of other shyt - nikkas just pulled all fantasy cliches and threw it in that pot to make gumbo. And it’s making every episode fly by :yeshrug:
Yah the books are incredible

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

And don't forget it takes place in a world where the PAST looks a lot like "Wakanda"...with skyscrapers, and anti-gravity ships, and everything.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Nope. He died and Brandon Sanderson finished the series. You’re correct that if RJJ was involved fans would maybe do less griping.

They still would have to cut this shyt down.

They definitely had to cut this down. It has damn near 3000 supporting characters of significance, like 100 different locations.