The Weeknd: The Official Thread

Populair

Guess what?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just a Kid From Chicago

Trying to avoid this thread in fear of album spoilers but I poked my head in here briefly and:

That track came from the studio of Max Martin, the Swedish producer whose influence on 2000s pop is matchless — his guiding hand firmly behind the careers of Britney Spears, Kelly Clarkson and Katy Perry. He works with a large team of writers and producers out of a sprawling residential compound in West Hollywood that was once home to Frank Sinatra. Martin’s hit-factory typically solicits little creative input from the talent, who show up when it’s time to sing. This process was alien to Tesfaye, who had always written his own lyrics and was unsure that he would be a good match for Grande’s good-girl gleam. When he saw the lyrics that were sent to him, he found them to be tepid. He rewrote his verse, recorded it and sent it back.

What could have been a contentious exchange was actually edifying for both parties: Martin liked Tesfaye’s changes and kept them; Tesfaye realized he could make sleek, accessible pop on his own terms. He asked Goldstein to secure Martin’s services for his next album. ‘‘If I’m gonna be the biggest in the world,’’ he told her, ‘‘I need a handful of songs like that.’’

THAT'S HOW YOU SUPPOSE TO fukkIN DO IT.

Populair

Guess what?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Just a Kid From Chicago
:wow:

I hope dude blows all the way up. He deserves it.

Crazy thing is, he could've easily yielded to their requests, and received very little backlash here as he was working with someone legendary and him being a relatively new artist, you'd expect him to just be happy to be working with someone with such esteem - not to mention singers don't adhere to the same standards as rappers when it comes to writing their own material.... Abel wasn't having it tho....

Dude is an artist in the truest sense of the word :wow:.

Edit: another tidbit from that great article

When Tesfaye went to Martin’s complex last fall to begin work, he set up in a wing where Marilyn Monroe used to live. Martin’s team presented Tesfaye with a selection of prewritten material, and he rejected it all.

Oh, the sweet timing of it all :whoo:

Last edited:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Above all, it is Jackson in Tesfaye’s cross hairs. ‘‘These kids, you know, they don’t have a Michael Jackson,’’ he says. ‘‘They don’t have a Prince. They don’t have a Whitney. Who else is there? Who else can really do it at this point?’’

:whoa: Easy there.

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
His anonymity was so complete, he says, that his co-workers at American Apparel would listen to his music while he was working without realizing it was his.

:mjlol:
remind me of the Complex interview
Yes and no. In the beginning, I was very insecure. I hated how I looked in pictures. I just fukking hated this shyt, like, crop me out of this picture right now. I was very camera shy.People like hot girls, so I put my music to hot girls and it just became a trend. The whole “enigmatic artist” thing, I just ran with it. No one could find pictures of me. It reminded me of some villain shyt.

:russ:

We Major

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
UK
The Weeknd is on Disclosure's new album Caracal coming September 25th, he's on the very first track Nocturnal.

zoo

★★★★★
Daps
CLloIjqUAAEqk7i.jpg

Tracklist looks like trash :snoop: