The Weeknd: The Official Thread

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
As a Weeknd stan I was really disappointed in Kiss Land, initially. I felt like paled in comparison to his previous work, but over months it slowly grew on me. The beats are really simple. I think that's what I disliked the most. It's like he took a minimalist approach towards the album. However, I now think it's his best collection of work vocally and tonally. And the highs on this album: Professional, Adaptation, Love in the Sky, Wanderlust, etc., are of the same quality as his other shyt. I see how people don't like it, though. :pachaha:

Maaan, you must have the demo version of the album, cause the production didn't seem simple at all. I could see how you can say that for maybe the last song on the album. I forgot the name of it. But I think the production on everything else was dope and fit the lyrics. Them instruments got put to work. Also I think his writing got much better. Less bluntness but more descriptive. That second verse in adaption is just on point.

Daps
Reppin
#LWO
Maaan, you must have the demo version of the album, cause the production didn't seem simple at all. I could see how you can say that for maybe the last song on the album. I forgot the name of it. But I think the production on everything else was dope. Them instruments got put to work. Also I think his writing got much better. Less bluntness but more descriptive. That second verse in adaption is just on point.
The production on "Love in The Sky" is the best I heard out of anybody in all of 2013

Daps
Reppin
#LWO
jrohno.png
they are united again

Hope he works with illangelo again too. :banderas:

a murda

I love my wife brehs
Daps
Reppin
Reppin Chi-City Southside
As a Weeknd stan I was really disappointed in Kiss Land, initially. I felt like paled in comparison to his previous work, but over months it slowly grew on me. The beats are really simple. I think that's what I disliked the most. It's like he took a minimalist approach towards the album. However, I now think it's his best collection of work vocally and tonally. And the highs on this album: Professional, Adaptation, Love in the Sky, Wanderlust, etc., are of the same quality as his other shyt. I see how people don't like it, though. :pachaha:

*co+sign*

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
Kiss Land is a fake deep album....It's like he's trying to be profound with the same basic concepts he's been talking about since day 1. I prefer the weekend when he's keeping it simple without all the glittery production and not faking like his album is some huge experience or spectacle. He's pretending his music is something that its not.

Best Songs: Adaptation (flames), The Town, Love in the Sky and the title track (the length makes me not wanna hear it that often though)

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

Remix of 'Royals', a pop sort of song from Lordes, (she reminds me of MIA) I've heard this in the club or a bar or some shyt…..but didn't know what it was called. Weeknd added some vocals. Looking for new material, even if it's just a full version of 'Crew Love' (original) or something….

Daps
Reppin
T Dot
the problem with the weeknd is that he is starting to sound filtered and produced. what every1 loved about him was his shyt was raw. nikka told da truth how he felt bout bishes, drugs the party scene. he used his own words and his own imagery instead of the common words and concepts that most writers and producers used. His sound was different than everything else we could hear on the radio and the net and we loved it.

Kissland sounds like a rnb album. the lyrics sound like a dumb nikka on facebook trying to be a philosopher. The weeknds original sound was anything but typical rnb. The fact that there is even a pharrell version of one of his songs on da album spells it all out to ya.

I'm glad for abel go get that money kid, i'll still come 2 ur live shows to hear ur old stuff. but im not gonna bother to listen to ne1 of ur new stuff till u get back with zodiac again.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Is there No DJ available….somehow I missed this, ill. I swear these little Weeknd throwaways he does with artists like (2013) Lil' Wayne and Rich Hill, are as good dope as the album cuts…'Nomads' (Weeknd only) is at least in my top 5 Weeknd tracks...