The Vince Staples Show - TV Series (Netflix/Produced by Kenya Barris & Vince Staples/Feb 15th)

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Y’all trying to make this show too deep and that’s the problem with a lot of black tv/film. We used to just have fun and cut up for 30 minutes in a sitcom. Now people are offended by showing how shyt is between black folk and or gotta dig for a motive and understand the ethos of every character. Nothing can just be. It’s ok to turn off and just laugh, have some goofy shyt happen and think nothing of it. White people don’t put these restrictions on their shows

nikkaz online are embarrassing and it's only getting worse

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
STARTED WATCHING THIS .. 2 EPISODES IN AND ITS SOLID. COLI CONSENUS NOT ROCKIN WIT THIS?

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
Y’all trying to make this show too deep and that’s the problem with a lot of black tv/film. We used to just have fun and cut up for 30 minutes in a sitcom. Now people are offended by showing how shyt is between black folk and or gotta dig for a motive and understand the ethos of every character. Nothing can just be. It’s ok to turn off and just laugh, have some goofy shyt happen and think nothing of it. White people don’t put these restrictions on their shows
Atlanta did both at its peak and this show tried to be Atlanta the LA version put the blame on Kenya

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Finally saw this. Had to watch it with SPN subtitles cause My usual spots ain't have the link.

Ep 1 - Wasn't that literally the extended 1st episode of Atlanta. Lol @ The cop being the same dude from How to Make it in America.
Ep 2 - Bank Robbery was great. Dead Presidents/Set it Off/Heat
Ep 3 - Family Reunion - shades of Insecure and Lawrence and his family reunion - just funnier.
Ep 4 - Amusement Park - Goofy episode reminiscent from ATL S3.
Ep 5 - This was essentially the Serial Killer in ATL.

I liked it. There were some good parts.
I could easily see Cube doing this 10-15-20-25 years ago - like a more surreal Friday, or Friday x Pulp Fiction.
It wouldn't have been as good of course, but it's not so far removed from typical "hood" antics.

I don't really mess with Kenya like that - but all the stuff I've ever seen from him has been surface level blackness.
And a lot of the time, he has to explain it.

6/10.

Cool DOC

All Star
Daps
Really thought I was gon come in here to find Vince got picked up for season 2...

:snoop:

FeverPitch2

Superstar
Daps
Really good show that could become great.
Similar to Atlanta but so fukking what.
Since we're used to it, a lot of us don't realize how surreal inner city Black life truly is and how bizarre some of the people in the hood actually are.
A lot of us like our humor really broad, slapstick, and silly (Wayans family, Martin), so those people wont like it.

But there's definitely a market for more understated and cerebral Black humor, which I personally think should continue to be explored.
Sometimes Atlanta tired too hard to be weird. If Vince reigns it in, he can avoid that trap.
The show suffered when he chased that (theme park and finale eps).

Vanessa Bell Calloway was brilliant as his mama. Ol boy who was robbing the bank was killin it, too.
Definitely want to see more.