The Vince Staples Show - TV Series (Netflix/Produced by Kenya Barris & Vince Staples/Feb 15th)

QBN

All Star
Daps
:patrice: I liked the bank robbery and theme park episodes...it has potential to be better but the writing needs a little more depth. It really just reminded me of how much I liked Atlanta when that show was at it's peak.

Lastly, maybe I'm just getting old but I did notice that a lot of the intended humor in this show is from Black people being pretty disrespectful towards each other. :mjpls:

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Any thoughts on the commentary Vince is trying to make on whiteness. The dude in the last episode is referred to as white. We know OJ was viewed that way at one point and time (we can debate if it's that way now). His mama said his girl was white. It's something there but I don't know how it connects

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Any thoughts on the commentary Vince is trying to make on whiteness. The dude in the last episode is referred to as white. We know OJ was viewed that way at one point and time (we can debate if it's that way now). His mama said his girl was white. It's something there but I don't know how it connects

We haven’t thought about that

And we are not ready to have that conversation yet

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
:patrice: I liked the bank robbery and theme park episodes...it has potential to be better but the writing needs a little more depth. It really just reminded me of how much I liked Atlanta when that show was at it's peak.

Lastly, maybe I'm just getting old but I did notice that a lot of the intended humor in this show is from Black people being pretty disrespectful towards each other. :mjpls:

I'm guessing during lunch time you was in the library instead of at the table cracking on your friends

with that said, it does give off cheap Atlanta vibes which is a shame.

QBN

All Star
Daps
I'm guessing during lunch time you was in the library instead of at the table cracking on your friends

with that said, it does give off cheap Atlanta vibes which is a shame.
It's beyond just cracking jokes...the mother was just straight angry and disrespectful to everyone for no reason. The dude in the chicken shop just barking on Vince for no reason while (presumably) being civil to the White/Asian customers. Vince cussing out Deja at the end of the theme park episode. That type of stuff is just not really funny to me anymore. But I think the show has potential to be better if it can find it's own lane and get out of Atlanta's shadow. I really didn't learn much about Vince Staples as a person from this show.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
It's beyond just cracking jokes...the mother was just straight angry and disrespectful to everyone for no reason. The dude in the chicken shop just barking on Vince for no reason while (presumably) being civil to the White/Asian customers. Vince cussing out Deja at the end of the theme park episode. That type of stuff is just not really funny to me anymore. But I think the show has potential to be better if it can find it's own lane and get out of Atlanta's shadow. I really didn't learn much about Vince Staples as a person from this show.

Maybe those parts weren't meant to be funny.

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO

The was mad because her sisters didn’t update her on the changed shirts, kept her out the group chat, then undercut her with the Mac & Cheese

The Chicken Shop dude works at this bootleg Disney Park for $16.50 an hour and just frustrated with the shyt he deals with the everyday at work. Vince just caught him at a bad moment

Speaking of bad moment, Vince done went through hell to get some chicken and the moment he gets back his girl barks on him, he fed up

All of that was reasonable.

Again they said they made this show with the intention of not making punchline jokes.

This show was more about the perspective around Vince than just Vince

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
shyt was whack, they didn't have good writing and I blame Kenya Barris for this shyt. He ruined what could have been.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland

Hit the Double Thumbs up brehs

Especially you @Sad Bunny and @Morethan1

Don’t tear this down brehs:why:

Hmm, Netflix is serious about reigning in their spending, but I think this severely handicaps black shows for black audiences, they shouldn’t be measured in the same way as general audience shows. That said, I also don’t think the show had a strong premise so I don’t feel passionately about it getting a second season

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Y’all trying to make this show too deep and that’s the problem with a lot of black tv/film. We used to just have fun and cut up for 30 minutes in a sitcom. Now people are offended by showing how shyt is between black folk and or gotta dig for a motive and understand the ethos of every character. Nothing can just be. It’s ok to turn off and just laugh, have some goofy shyt happen and think nothing of it. White people don’t put these restrictions on their shows

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
This shyt is mid as fukk. Been struggling to get through them episodes. Got 1 more to go.

nikkas got all these deep takes on this shyt cuz their minds start drifting and focusing on other shyt since the show lacks any type of humor. You're not gonna be thinking about the plight of lightskins or any other dumb ass shyt if you're busy laughing.

Show has potential, but I prolly laughed more watching the most recent episode of the Simpsons.

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
Y’all trying to make this show too deep and that’s the problem with a lot of black tv/film. We used to just have fun and cut up for 30 minutes in a sitcom. Now people are offended by showing how shyt is between black folk and or gotta dig for a motive and understand the ethos of every character. Nothing can just be. It’s ok to turn off and just laugh, have some goofy shyt happen and think nothing of it. White people don’t put these restrictions on their shows
That's cool if it's funny but it wasn't that funny. I let out a few chuckles at best, it's okay but not up to par.