The Umbrella Academy - Season 2 (7.31.20/Official Thread)

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Dope show. But I don't understand how Mary J and the Fat Boy are so unbeatable. Dude looks like a toll booth operator, but beats a nikka with super strength, took 500 punches throughout the show and never even bled. Mary gets thrown through a car window in a manner that kills 10/10 people, walks it off and fights Diego with acrobatics like Black Widow:why:

All the time agents seemed juiced up. The redhead got a grenade and walked away with a scar.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Ashamed to admit it wasn’t until episode 9 that I realized this was a Dark Phoenix story despite the obvious tell from 5’s vision.

This was good. Tried to be overly quirky with the music sometimes.

StraxStrax

I'm selling these fine leather jackets
Daps
I just looked up Ellen Pages wiki and realized she was born 1987

She looks much older than 31 in this series

Which is crazy because for most of her 20s she looked 16

:picard:

:sean_:

She looks like 23-24, tops.

Bumblebee

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Cybertron
:sean_:

She looks like 23-24, tops.
CaringPeacefulIrishwaterspaniel-max-1mb.gif

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I thought the show was very good, I have to laugh at all the people talking about how inept the main characters are when that's the entire point of the story. They all got fukked up so bad because of their childhood that instead of a well-oiled machine they're a bunch of self-centered fukk-ups. Every loss they encounter is of their own design, and while that might not be the most desirable storytelling for most, I thought it was awesome.

I did think that the second half of the season outstayed its welcome. After Five's run-in with the commission Hazel and Cha-Cha add absolutely nothing to the plot anymore but somehow stay around for five more episodes doing jack shyt that is relevant to the main story. They were definitely filling up a contractual 10 episode order here because the first eps are all close to an hour in length with excellent pacing and the last three eps somehow are only 45 minutes long with tons of filler in them.

But regardless it's a great show and it will be good to see how the family will slowly find a way to work together.

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This show is low key trash

It has potential but the writing is CW levels of bad

Agreed. It was slow in pacing, all the characters were too unlikable for me to be invested and care for any of them, the show was both very pretentious and predictable for someone who watched a lot of shows and films that involves time traveling. So it uses a lot of story-line tropes that are ripped from other time traveling story points. I mean the main plot is essentially the same LOOPER. And I know the POINT of the show is about anti-heroism, but how this season ultimately ended was the most selfish move which gave it something super anti-climatic. This show was a total waste of my time.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Gerard Way & Gabriel Bá on Long-Term Plans for Netflix’s ‘Umbrella Academy’

One of the many new series to premiere on Netflix this year is The Umbrella Academy. Based on the Dark Horse Comics series of the same name created and written by Gerard Way (yes, he of My Chemical Romance) and illustrated by Gabriel Bá, the show follows a group of estranged, super-powered family members who have to come together and work through their personality quirks to solve the death of their father.

When I was in Brazil attending CCXP recently, I got to sit down with Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá to talk about the series. They talked about how Netflix kept the weird ideas and the essence of the characters, what they wanted to see happen in the show, how the viewer is immediately trying to catch up and figure out what’s going on as the series begins, the challenges of trying to make the fans happy while also appealing to an entirely new audience, and more.

In addition, Gerard Way revealed that he knows how the graphic novels will end and wanted to make sure the writers knew where it was all ultimately going to go. He said:

“What I did for Steve Blackman (the showrunner) and the writers in that first writers room was to create an eighteen page document that laid everything out. Even of the graphic novels that haven’t come out yet. Which should equal eight when we’re all done. So I gave them the blueprint for what happens, because you do want to seed certain things in there for future series and the hope is that it’s a success so that you do a lot more of these. They’re very curious what Gabriel and I are doing next. We always send them the new comics. They really want to know what’s happening.”

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I actually liked the second half more than the first. I also thought the VFX were better than most mcu flicks