The Supreme Court decisions on Affirmative Action and student loans are set to drop today at 10 am.(Edit: Affirmative action struck down 6-3)

Remy LeBreh

Linconia
Daps
Reppin
CLB/CLE/ALB
Gotta vote people. Especially if you are in a purple or red district. Gotta vote.

Ironically the lack of understanding in American civics is a what's costing us now.

We love to leave our destiny up to others.

Particularly others who hate us

Gotta change that
It's a catch-22, we're not in a position to outright refuse government assistance/policy that can help us, but that same government actively hates us and will only offer that assistance in rare cases where a sympathetic official gets placed in power, or if it's a financial benefit to those in power. Call it conspiracy theorizing or whatever but I think the repubs are shooting their shot to definitively get us up outta here... permanently entrench us as the underclass. Cac women are catching a stray today low key.
Tomorrow I assume they cut of the student debt relief, which truthfully won't "harm" anyone since anyone with student loan debt already knew this was coming, but our community benefits from Pell Grants the most...no way they approve "giving" that money to us.
I wish we had a strong country wide network for Blacks to unite, pool money and provide guidance and direction for future generations to succeed but we're kinda past that point, we're to segregated even within our own culture. As a breh who has "succeeded" relatively, I hope that our young brehs really make moves towards HBCUs or utilizing the online options at PWIs. I'm sure people will mention the Trades, but a college education is and will continue to be the easiest path to making a class jump for us, unfortunately.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Coupled with the fact that our population has lagged the growth of other non white groups at least hispanics are the largest non white group whereas Asians are the fastest growing. We need a freaking reset. We need to overly emphasize education, stable family structure and political activism at both the local and federal level.

This is gut wrenching. We need more of us (population growth) and skill and educational attainment. I almost see this as a tribal fight for limited resources. No more POC coalition unless our interests are met and served via that coalition.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
what does that mean?
Idk but it seems to matter.

African-Americans invented cool as a stylistic defiance against racism during World War II. This is simply well-documented social, historical, and linguistic fact. To be cool in the 1940s referred to the ability to be relaxed in one's own style in any environment, an act of courage and mental strength for any Black person during the Jim Crow era. Whether meaning high praise ("Cool!"), vetting someone to others ("she's cool"), or referring to a relaxed state of mind ("I'm cool, man") -- our modern usages all began in jazz culture. Jazz fan Jack Kerouac caught the new word at clubs and wrote of his "theory of cool" to Neal Cassady in 1950 and William Burroughs registered this "new word in the hipster vocabulary" in Junky (1952). By the time The Jazz Lexicon came out in 1963 -- the definitive dictionary of jazz jargon -- Robert S. Gold called cool "the protean word" of jazz culture. There were two pages of citations from magazines and a page each for "uncool" and "cool it," as well as for "hip" and "unhip." Jazz was the dominant subculture of the post-World War II era in NYC and jazz musicians' slang became the first rebellious code of cool.
                           from The Jazz Lexicon (1963)

from The Jazz Lexicon (1963)
Jazz legend Lester Young was the first to spread this underground gospel of cool. To be cool meant you would not Uncle-Tom -- i.e., produce a fake smile -- to show white Americans you knew your place. Young then added stylistic markers to defy the white gaze: a personal, impenetrable slang; wearing sunglasses at night; inhabiting a smoky alcohol haze for insulation. Both black and white jazz musicians put on their shades, torqued up their slang, smoked dope or shot heroin, and became cool cats. Within a decade, sociologists began writing about cool, Norman Mailer became obsessed with the concepts of hip and cool (in his Village Voice columns on "The Hip and the Square") and Leonard Bernstein registered its presence in national consciousness with "Cool" in West Side Story (1957). White appropriation and dilution of "cool" and "chill" continues, then as now. (Read more in chapters one and five of The Origins of Cool in Postwar America.)

TaxCollector13459

2018 Coli Rookie of the Year
Daps
Ados operate best with our backs against the wall.

The period of 'peace' was always gonna be short lived bc wp couldn't stand it and we had no one defending it. We need to be figuring out the next step.
:wow:

They out here panicking like we ain’t born in the fire. We’ll create a way to be successful like we’ve always done. It just turned the game sliders up a lil, shyt light work

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lesbeehonest, it’s not the facilities breh.

It’s because the big colleges have the quote on quote better college atmosphere, girls, fraternities and parties, sports legacies and because we’ve seen these colleges marketed on movies, television and video games growing up. Nobody is going to play at the University of Idaho even if they had top notch facilities. It’s for the reasons I gave.

So basically, you don’t watch collegiate sports really

Voice of Reason

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Coupled with the fact that our population has lagged the growth of other non white groups at least hispanics are the largest non white group whereas Asians are the fastest growing. We need a freaking reset. We need to overly emphasize education, stable family structure and political activism at both the local and federal level.

This is gut wrenching. We need more of us (population growth) and skill and educational attainment. I almost see this as a tribal fight for limited resources. No more POC coalition unless our interests are met and served via that coalition.

Are you willing to admit that abortion curtailed the Black population growth? I don't think abortion should be banned but it's not the solution to our problems.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
:wow:

They out here panicking like we ain’t born in the fire. We’ll create a way to be successful like we’ve always done. It just turned the game sliders up a lil, shyt light work

Its not a Black and white country anymore there are many more groups with divergent intetests. Does that mean obstacles cannot be overcome? No. But this is alarming and requires strategy and to say it's "light work" is wrong in my opinion nothing is "light work" about fighting for resources when other groups non-whites included are growing in population and influence.