The Stupidity of WCW

ThatTruth777

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
• WCW spent weeks hyping the debut of "The Machine". He wrestled DDP, lost and was never seen again.

:dead:

• Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

:wow:

• KISS performed a concert on Nitro which gained one of the lowest ratings for any segment during the Monday Night Wars. Part of the deal included the band being paid $500,000 and a guarantee that the "KISS DEMON" would be featured in main event matches.
I somehow remember this feintly, I may have blocked it out subconsciously to protect myself from how lame this shyt was

• Sid lost a match by countout in a Falls Count Anywhere match.
:russ:

• Tank Abbott got legitimately p.o'd at "Big Al" during a match. At the end of their match (which was a leather jacket on a pole match of course), he pulled a knife on him, held it to his throat and told him he could kill him. The cameras cut away while Schivone tried to explain to fans that Tank Abbott was disrespecting him by trying to shave his beard. Big Al didn't have a beard though...

what the fukk :heh:

• Up until 2000, WCW had never thought of just flying the members of the roster in who were required. Every Nitro, Thunder and PPV saw them fly the entire 160+ roster members in and use only 20-30 of them. This was mainly due to the amount of times changes were made just before or even during the show. People wonder why WCW was losing money.

man they were pissing money away... :smh:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
• Russo proposed a storyline in which Nash made Scott Hall number one contender but Hall would be unable to make it due to being drunk in Florida. Nash in the storyline would then make himself number one contender and win the title. The storyline was nixed by Kevin Nash who was scared by this point by the amount of people who hated him.

This is total bullshyt

Kidd Dibiase

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wonder what was in Russo's contract that kept him from being fired.

His entire theory and stand point on wrestling is bullshyt

"no one ever remember the matches, they remember the characters and segments"

then he says something along the lines of [i'm paraphrasing] "anyone who knows me, knows that i'm a mark for old school wrestlers and if i can find something to protect them and still have the fans see them every week i'll do it" but then proceeds to put these legends [Flair, Duggan, Funk] in the most embarrassing of situations in wrestling.

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
That company was such a dissapointment and there's no reason they shouldn't still be around today. I actually liked and watched WCW more in 98-00 than I did WWE(F). I always love reading how inept they were run, though. The quality drop off from the late to mid 90's to the early part of the 2000's was absolutely :mindblown: With all the gimmick matches, smaller crowds, and inept booking, it's amazing they lasted as long as they did. I knew even as a kid that the New Blood angle was booked completely backwards. :dead:

Edit:

• The dying days of WCW saw a lot of wrestlers not believing that it was really dying. They believed Eric Bischoff and Vince Russo were working together to fool the boys again.

I didn't believe it. I thought WWE was simply working some sort of program with WCW but when I went to turn on Nitro the next Monday and saw nothing there... :ohlawd: :wow: It was surreal at the time.

Last edited:

Killer Instinct

To live in hearts we leave behind is to never die.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO
• In June 2000 WCW paid $50,000 to place an ad in a newspaper for their Monday Nitro show that week. the ad didn't appear until the Thursday after the show.

• Juventud Guerrera was (rightly) fired after the Australian tour because he, in a drug-influenced moment of madness, took off his clothes and started screaming that he was going to kill himself in the middle of a hotel near the restaurant where many of the wrestlers were eating. He was eventually arrested and was lucky not to face criminal charges. What's funny is that WCW fired him but didn't tell him. Juvi didn't find out until some of his friends phoned him wishing him all the best after seeing the news on the internet.

:laff:

Yessir_Araphat

takin money>>gettin money
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
N/S Long Beach
• Scott Steiner went on a bit of a rampage and made several unscripted comments, such as calling Ric Flair an "ass kicking, butt-sucking *******" on national television and badmouthing the company. The trouble was nobody dared to tell him to stop because at the time he had a notoriously short temper and everyone backstage was scared of him. The only person to stand up for himself was DDP, who got into a fight backstage with Steiner. Steiner took him down, punched him several times in the eye and DDP and Kevin Nash left in fear. They claimed they would be back when "there was new management". Steiner's punishment? None.