The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014 (steambox?)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Now the last step is making everything simple and accessible for the average joe and you now have someone who can benefit from PC gaming without actually getting into the nuts and bolts of figuring everything out.

that's where thing's like 'community configurations' could help. don't want to break your head trying to figure what button to assign where? just d/l the configuration(s) from someone that already went through that. hopefully it would be like the workshops, where you can vote and comment on configurations, and then the better ones would rise to the top

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
anyone that's serious about that sort of thing would probably get a 'fight stick' anyway. just like someone serious about racing games would probably get a wheel. and to be clear, it may be weird (at first), but I don't see why you couldn't play fighting games with that thing

and you can still use your 360, or whatever controller. but this thing is clearly trying to deal with many issues they have, like older PC games that provide no controller support. the idea of having community configurations to help with that is a real good idea
i feel like for certain diagonal movements etc that controller would actually be pretty stellar for fighters personally :manny:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
KB+M will still dominate someone using this :heh:
Right but how will they do against someone with one of these?

tumblr_m52eexR5so1rnms7so2_500.jpg

This is not meant to replace KBM it is meant to provide an alternative, responsive easy solution to bridge the gap between controllers and KBM. It's optional, which is why i don't understand some of the distaste for it thus far.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
i feel like for certain diagonal movements etc that controller would actually be pretty stellar for fighters personally :manny:

yeah, I could imagine a lot of those fighting game movements being easier without a stick. but at the same time people like to bang that stick around. a motion like Guile's Sonic Boom becomes kinda boring when you're not actually holding back the stick, and then whipping it in the other direction

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
one of the prototypes:

prototypes.jpg

looks like the beta one they described (buttons instead of touch screen). actually looks kinda nice in someone's hands (nohomo). it looks smaller than I thought (that's what she said)

Kodie

Pro
Daps
I don't know if it'll work and I'm convinced it's not going to work well with games like Mark of the Ninja and Super Meat Boy... But I know I'm buying one day 1 anyway. Can't wait.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I don't know if it'll work and I'm convinced it's not going to work well with games like Mark of the Ninja and Super Meat Boy... But I know I'm buying one day 1 anyway. Can't wait.

the trackpad is also a clickable button. with that combination it could basically function, and kinda feel, like a d-pad. it's one button, but it would know where on the trackpad you're pressing it

edit: same with the right pad. it could basically function as the RS and the X Y A B buttons

Last edited:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:lupe: I'm curious, but very skeptical (I'll probably still buy though). Gimme that Xbox one controller instead and throw steam os in the bushes. :yeshrug:

What about oculus rift? How does that integrate with steam os? If it doesn't at all:camby:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
What about oculus rift? How does that integrate with steam os? If it doesn't at all:camby:

that's more OR's problem(s). Steam really doesn't have to do anything to accommodate them. maybe make a OR-friendly interface, but I imagine that's pretty easy. OR already has linux support I think, so getting it working on SteamOS shouldn't be an issue either. really we're just waiting on their hardware