The Steam Controller

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I probably would have got this but I decided to get the Xbox Elite controller. Oh well.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
wow, the Touch Menu is awesome. there's so much to fiddle with :wow:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Just purchased on a whim. Hopefully it gets shipped soon. I'm curious to see how this thing works :lupe:

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It says "pre-order" still :wtf: I thought these were readily available. Who knows when it'll come? :mjcry:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I've been liking mine a lot. it's actually pretty cool for navigating the desktop and doing non-gaming stuff

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
It's processing now :whew:

Hopefully I can get it before Christmas. :lupe:

@daze23 can you use this and the xbox controller at the same time, or does only one work at a time? I love my elite controller, so that will be my primary. But I still want to try this out on some games. Also, is it bluetooth, or something? I don't have a bluetooth card, so hopefully not (edit: just say it was a usb 2 dongle :whew:)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
It's processing now :whew:

Hopefully I can get it before Christmas. :lupe:

@daze23 can you use this and the xbox controller at the same time, or does only one work at a time? I love my elite controller, so that will be my primary. But I still want to try this out on some games. Also, is it bluetooth, or something? I don't have a bluetooth card, so hopefully not (edit: just say it was a usb 2 dongle :whew:)
it comes with it's own dongle. I use it plugged in, but I've never tried it with the 360 controller also plugged in

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Mine just came in the mail. I'm gonna test it out tonight or tomorrow. It's bigger and more plastic feeling than I expected. It feels kinda cheap. Might pair it with a steam link (but I heard mixed things about that)

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Mine just came in the mail. I'm gonna test it out tonight or tomorrow. It's bigger and more plastic feeling than I expected. It feels kinda cheap. Might pair it with a steam link (but I heard mixed things about that)
use the Steam beta and BPM to get the most up to date features

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
got my config for Fallout 4 all straightened out

the controller works best with games that let you use a gamepad and mouse at the same time. but Fallout 4 doesn't support that. at first I was using a controller config with "mouse like joystick", but it always felt a little jittery, and I was limited because I couldn't bind keyboard stuff to the controller (because the game disables the keyboard when you're using a gamepad)

switched to a WASD config, and everything is lovely :blessed:

smooth mouse response on the pad and gyro. two touch menus, with (currently) 16 hotkeys. got the joystick bound to WASD, with the inner part set to walk (C), and outer jog (click to sprint)

using the left paddle as a modifier to "mode shift" various stuff on the pad. it switches between the two touch menus on the left pad. it turns the right pad into a scroll wheel. and lets the front buttons (ABXY) be arrow keys

it might all sound convoluted, but it's easy to use, and lets me do everything like I would playing with a mouse and keyboard. the controller really is amazing

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
got my config for Fallout 4 all straightened out

the controller works best with games that let you use a gamepad and mouse at the same time. but Fallout 4 doesn't support that. at first I was using a controller config with "mouse like joystick", but it always felt a little jittery, and I was limited because I couldn't bind keyboard stuff to the controller (because the game disables the keyboard when you're using a gamepad)

switched to a WASD config, and everything is lovely :blessed:

smooth mouse response on the pad and gyro. two touch menus, with (currently) 16 hotkeys. got the joystick bound to WASD, with the inner part set to walk (C), and outer jog (click to sprint)

using the left paddle as a modifier to "mode shift" various stuff on the pad. it switches between the two touch menus on the left pad. it turns the right pad into a scroll wheel. and lets the front buttons (ABXY) be arrow keys

it might all sound convoluted, but it's easy to use, and lets me do everything like I would playing with a mouse and keyboard. the controller really is amazing
:ohhh: Gotta try this

Daps
Building a head of steam: 500,000 Steam Controllers sold

Building a head of steam: 500,000 Steam Controllers sold
The more people use the controller, the more improvements can be made to it, a Valve engineer said.

June 1, 20168:34 PM PDT
After around two years of anticipation, Valve's Steam Controller hit the market last November alongside a wave of Steam Machines. Now, around 7 months later, the company has announced that 500,000 of the gamepads have been snapped up.

In a blog post, Steam engineer Jeff Bellinghausen said that, thanks to the controller's popularity, developers are now spending more time to program games to work well with the Steam controller out of the box, citing examples of Dark Souls III and DOOM.

"With every controller that comes online we get the opportunity to get more feedback on how to make the Steam Controller even better," he said, later adding, "We'll continue to add features and functionality going forward."

The controller was launched alongside Alienware's Steam Machine, a PC gaming machine that runs on Valve's own SteamOS. As the name suggests, it's designed specifically for use with the Steam game platform.

Update, June 2 at 11:50 a.m. PT: Ars Technica reports that the 500,000 sales figure includes all of the controllers that were bundled with the various Steam Machines, which means that fewer than 500,000 Steam Machines have been sold over the past seven months.

That doesn't compare very favorably to the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, which sold over a million units on their very first day, and may account for only a very small percent of the total PC gaming market.

Valve is currently holding a 30% off sale on the Steam Controller and Steam Link streaming box.