"The South fukked up Hip Hop's sound"

CrushedGroove

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What's crazy is every region had it's own sound. Very few NYers worked with the South which caused them to band together and represent for their own. Nobody telling NY artists to sign deals where labels make them put out music sounding like the South.

I miss when NY sounded like NY because I was able to envision through the music and lyrics. Same with LA and the Bay. Same with H-Town, Louisiana and everywhere else.

The sound has become streamlined across the board, a lot of southern hip-hop is just easily digestible which is easy to understand in a society constantly on the move. People don't take or have time to break down lyrics like they used to.

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
Far from southern but just looking at other genres, the south saved hiphop. Brought mad new dimensions, genres usually start dying when no one innovates new sounds. And rap was getting pretty static.

Mostly it was the production but also flows and melody.

All these karaoke rappers that haven’t managed to bring anything new to the game but just mimicking what’s been done are always complaining. Basically saying, “dudes can’t even mimic what I came up on anymore”.