The Show Must Go On: 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers thread

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Nash believed the “stretch” buyout was a looming threat — if it happened, he’d probably retire unless the Clippers wanted him

This got glossed over in here. The Lakers can waive Nash and spread the remaining year of his contract over four years against the cap (so about $2.5 mil/year). They have to do that.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
This got glossed over in here. The Lakers can waive Nash and spread the remaining year of his contract over four years against the cap (so about $2.5 mil/year). They have to do that.
That's being shortsighted. I think we should eat up his contract next year (We aren't going to be a contender). Then go all in 2015. That 2.5 mil can be used to add a solid role player.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
That's being shortsighted. I think we should eat up his contract next year (We aren't going to be a contender). Then go all in 2015. That 2.5 mil can be used to add a solid role player.
That's a meager cap hit they can take. They have a bunch of solid role players now. They have to spend a certain amount next year and I'd bet they're going up to the cap. Kobe will cause major problems if they aren't trying to build a contender next year and would probably poison the well if they don't.

Look at all the guys they signed for pennies this season that panned out. If they had Kobe healthy and another star player, they'd be in good shape with Nick Young, Henry, Marshall, Farmar, Hill and Kaman filling in the gaps.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
That's a meager cap hit they can take. They have a bunch of solid role players now. They have to spend a certain amount next year and I'd bet they're going up to the cap. Kobe will cause major problems if they aren't trying to build a contender next year and would probably poison the well if they don't.

Look at all the guys they signed for pennies this season that panned out. If they had Kobe healthy and another star player, they'd be in good shape with Nick Young, Henry, Marshall, Farmar, Hill and Kaman filling in the gaps.
Who cares what Kobe thinks? He signed a huge contract and by doing that he killed any chance we had to contend for this upcoming season. It his and the FO's fault that we are even in this position. We have no idea what kind of player he is even going to be next season or if he is even going to be healthy for that matter. Nothing we do this year is going to turn us into a contender.

Nick, Farmar, Hill and Henry are going to look for more money.

2.5 mil isn't meager. We are going to need every resource possible to build a contender for 2016.

Being shortsighted is what got us in this mess in the first place. Not trading Dwight, trading 4 picks for Nash, signing Kobe to a 50 mil contract etc. etc. Waiving Nash is another one of those shortsighted moves.

gho3st

plata or plomo
Daps
Reppin

no i dont think thats the biggest problem when it comes to Kobe next year. Him dictating that the offense be run through him will be the only problem.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
wait nikkas really hating on the gawd Kupchak in this thread?? :stopitslime:

I get what he's saying about the Nash trade. It was a risk, but NOBODY...NOBODY knew at the time that he was going to be such a bust. AT LEAST one more trophy seemed like a lock once we got him and Howard.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
wait nikkas really hating on the gawd Kupchak in this thread?? :stopitslime:

I get what he's saying about the Nash trade. It was a risk, but NOBODY...NOBODY knew at the time that he was going to be such a bust. AT LEAST one more trophy seemed like a lock once we got him and Howard.

Mitch has a real issue with long term thinking. Lets be real, all the superstars he either inherited or was lucky enough to have Logo on the opposite end helping out. Not saying he's a terrible GM, but we've wildly overrated him. A good GM woulda got more for Shaq, a good GM wouldn't of wasted Kobe's best years, its a reason why we're in this situation now and it'd because Mitch never learns from his mistakes. We shoulda known the Nash/Howard experiment was 2004 all over again it's vintage mitchell. If he's truly a great GM he needs to utilize the draft for once and try to be proactive in the future instead of holding onto assets until they depreciate in value or trading for name brands that are way over the hill. Hell, this is the same idiot that wanted Sean May and it took cokeface jimmmy's obsession with Drew on some horse breeder shyt to dodge that bullet. :shaq2:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Who cares what Kobe thinks? He signed a huge contract and by doing that he killed any chance we had to contend for this upcoming season. It his and the FO's fault that we are even in this position. We have no idea what kind of player he is even going to be next season or if he is even going to be healthy for that matter. Nothing we do this year is going to turn us into a contender.

Nick, Farmar, Hill and Henry are going to look for more money.

2.5 mil isn't meager. We are going to need every resource possible to build a contender for 2016.

Being shortsighted is what got us in this mess in the first place. Not trading Dwight, trading 4 picks for Nash, signing Kobe to a 50 mil contract etc. etc. Waiving Nash is another one of those shortsighted moves.
There are no saviors coming to this team if nothing is already in place. Stretching Nash's contract saves $7 million next year. That's three role players right there. This is the summer they have to make something happen. Nobody is making backdoor deals like the Heat did with LeBron and Bosh.

Kobe comes off the books in two years; the $2.5 million that would count against the cap for Nash is nothing for a team like the Lakers. They have money to burn.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Mitch has a real issue with long term thinking. Lets be real, all the superstars he either inherited or was lucky enough to have Logo on the opposite end helping out. Not saying he's a terrible GM, but we've wildly overrated him. A good GM woulda got more for Shaq, a good GM wouldn't of wasted Kobe's best years, its a reason why we're in this situation now and it'd because Mitch never learns from his mistakes. We shoulda known the Nash/Howard experiment was 2004 all over again it's vintage mitchell. If he's truly a great GM he needs to utilize the draft for once and try to be proactive in the future instead of holding onto assets until they depreciate in value or trading for name brands that are way over the hill. Hell, this is the same idiot that wanted Sean May and it took cokeface jimmmy's obsession with Drew on some horse breeder shyt to dodge that bullet. :shaq2:
No GM is perfect. The biggest problem with last year's team was Pringles and we ALL know that was a Jimmy Buss hire, not Mitch. He wanted Phil. If Phil was coaching the team, they wouldn't be in this predicament. We also still can't forget The Veto. That is clearly having a lasting effect on this team.

Mitch fukking had Chris Paul and Dwight Howard in the bag and Stern fukking vetoed it. This franchise is in a COMPLETELY different place if that trade stands. Imagine if Chris Paul had to stay in NO and wasn't allowed to go to LAC. The landscape of the league would be different, as would those teams.

Edit: Mike Brown was a Jim Buss hire too. He's the problem, not Mitch.

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:

Gary Payton? Karl Malone? (Payton was pretty much done, but Malone had something left and the training staff fukked up with him, we would have won the ship that year if he was healthy and Kobe didn't have the Colorado shyt) Pau Gasol? Dwight Howard? Chris Paul? (fukk yeah imma count him cause that trade was completed and signed off on by everyone but Stern).

I don't agree he could have gotten more for Shaq. I don't know what all was out there but I remember he tried to get Dirk and Mark Cuban told him to fukk off. Shaq was coming off a terrible finals and made it known he wanted out. You gotta remember at the time people were still looking at Lamar Odom as a Magic Johnson-lite and at the very least, a guy who would potentially be a 20 pt/10 rebound player when he hit is peak.

One thing about the Lakers job is there is more pressure here to win than ANYWHERE, probably anywhere in sports period but maybe the Yankees. There's not a lot of patience to sit around and build through the draft. I mean look at how many Lakers fans STILL don't wanna tank despite the fact that this team is clearly has no chance to do shyt this year. The ticket prices are high as fukk and the team needs to provide people a reason that they are that way. They need to keep the celebrities at courtside. They need to keep stars on the court. Mitch has done a fukking amazing job of always finding a way to keep it that way. Shaq leaves, and after a couple of down years he builds a competitive team and steals Gasol like a thief in the night to put the icing on the cake. When the Kobe/Gasol era is slowing down he unloads a piece of shyt in Bynum to get the best big man in the game with the goal that he would be the next centerpiece to build around. Nobody knew he would turn into such a bytchmade ho. Same with Nash.. all they REALLY needed from him was that 30 mins a game. With Kobe like he did last year, if Howard had played to his peak and Nash was healthy...and of course Mitch would have had Phil as our coach too, so you know it would have been a wrap.