The Show Must Go On: 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers thread

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
New article from Larry c00n.

Lakers' four options with Kobe

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/stor...-los-angeles-lakers-build-signing-kobe-bryant
Everything about Kobe Bryant is polarizing. Why should his contract extension be any different?

This is not to say that locking up the Los Angeles Lakers' superstar was a bad move. The two-year, $48.5 million agreement ensures that the face and cornerstone of the franchise likely will retire a Laker, and also sends a message to potential free agents that the Lakers continue to take care of their own. Nor is there obvious blame, from Bryant's perspective.

"This wasn't a negotiation," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports. "The Lakers made their offer with cap and building a great team in mind while still taking care of me as a player. I simply agreed to the offer."

Bryant stays with the only team he has known as a professional while retaining his status as the league's highest-paid player. He also locks in his value before returning to the court, eliminating any possibility of an Achilles-related setback or loss of athleticism hurting his earning potential.

And in doing so, he willingly absorbed a 23 percent pay cut.

Still, the extension is not without adverse consequences. It is no secret that Bryant, 35, wants a sixth and even a seventh ring before he retires, but this extension takes him farther from that goal. While the Lakers will be able to afford one top-tier free agent next summer -- and that free agent must want to go to L.A. -- it will have little additional spending power to bring in the necessary pieces that would return the team to championship contention. Worse, signing a top-tier player means the Lakers likely will have to say goodbye to current mainstays like Pau Gasol.

Scenario 1: Sign a tier-one free agent in 2014

Potential free agents in this category are LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh, all of whom must invoke options in order to become free agents.

Scenario 2: Sign multiple tier-two free agents in 2014

The next group of 2014 free agents includes Eric Bledsoe, Luol Deng, Gordon Hayward, and Greg Monroe.

Scenario 3: Sign one tier-two free agent in 2014

Build the team around the remaining players.

Scenario 4: Stand pat in 2014, aim for 2015 and 2016

This scenario then opens its checkbook in 2015 when players such as Kevin Love and Brook Lopez will hit the market.

Waiting for Kevin Love might be the Lakers' best option. But it doesn't get Kobe another ring.

This scenario would again leave Bryant out of title contention in 2014, and would simply push the team's rebuilding process back one year. However, with Bryant's extension set to expire in 2016, the team could conceivably sign a player such as Love in 2015, and if Bryant retires, use his freed-up salary in the 2016 free-agent market, which could be headlined by Kevin Durant.

While it might sound ludicrous to suggest that a player negotiate a lower salary, doing so would have brought Bryant closer to his stated goal of winning more rings.

As seen here, a strategic look at the cap implications shows that the media and fans were right -- that even though Bryant fully deserves every penny that the Lakers pay him, his extension distances him from winning more titles before he retires. He might not have realized when he signed his contract that he was forgoing further title contention, but that effectively was the choice he made.

Daps
Reppin
#LWO
6zai.png

:ehh:
yes please

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
If we can't get Carmelo...give me Greg Monroe and Luol Deng in Free Agency.

C Jordan Hill
PF Greg Monroe
SF Luol Deng
SG Kobe Bryant
PG Steve Blake
I don't like any of these options. I would go after Eric Bledsoe. If we can't get him then I'll pass on all the other FAs altogether and go after Love in 2015.

Carmelo Another shouldn't be on our radar at all. Dude will be 30 and he isn't that good. Signing Melo would be a stupid move by the FO but at this point it should be expected from them.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
I don't like any of these options. I would go after Eric Bledsoe. If we can't get him then I'll pass on all the other FAs altogether and go after Love in 2015.

Carmelo Another shouldn't be on our radar at all. Dude will be 30 and he isn't that good. Signing Melo would be a stupid move by the FO but at this point it should be expected from them.

Kevin Love is not better than Carmelo Anthony breh

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Yes he is. Pretty easily too and he is 4 years younger.

I knew you'd bite lol

How is he better? He's a 6'10" 260 lbs PF who has no defense, doesn't block shots, Shoots 44% Fg for his career, had only 1 season out of 6 seasons where he's shot over 45% from the field, has never led his team to the playoffs, and in the 307 career games he's played in he's only led his team to 96 wins (96-211 .312 record) :comeon:

He's been the best player on a horrible team for years. If you think he's better than Carmelo when Carmelo at least has numerous playoff appearances and a WCF visit, all as the best player on his team, you're crazy.

I would go as far as to say Pau on the Grizzlies was better than Kevin Love. At least he carried his team to the playoffs. Love has done and proven nothing except he can shoot bad as a PF, too many 3's, play no defense, but that he can rebound and pass. He's not a player you tank an entire season for in hopes of landing him in Free Agency(by tank I mean, by not acquiring anyone in FA this year in order to keep money available for him for the 2015 summer)

I will pass on the great white hype breh. He's not better than a perennial top 10 player in the NBA....Carmelo Anthony

Last edited:

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
I knew you'd bite lol

How is he better? He's a 6'10" 260 lbs PF who has no defense, doesn't block shots, Shoots 44% Fg for his career, had only 1 season out of 6 seasons where he's shot over 45% from the field, has never led his team to the playoffs, and most wins he's led his team to is 31 wins in a season(24 wins in 09, 15 wins in 10, 17 wins in 11, 26 wins in 12, 31 wins last year)

He's been the best player on a horrible team for years that doesn't have another rebounder. If you think he's better than Carmelo when Carmelo at least has numerous playoff appearances and a WCF visit, all as the best player on his team, you're crazy.

I would go as far as to say Pau on the Grizzlies was better than Kevin Love. At least he carried his team to the playoffs. Love has done and proven nothing except he can shoot bad as a PF, too many 3's, play no defense, but that he can rebound and pass. He's not a player you tank an entire season for in hopes of landing him in Free Agency.

I will pass on the great white hype breh. He's not better than a perennial top 10 player in the NBA....Carmelo Anthony
Past accomplishments does not matter. We are talking about present day.

Anthony always had good teams and the years the Wolves had good supporting cast they couldn't stay healthy. But I do find it funny that you're bringing up team success when the Knicks currently have the 3rd worst record in the entire league.

You're talking about defense, but does Carmelo play defense? Melo currently plays the 4 and he is barely shooting 44% too. So I don't really get your argument there and Melo is suppose to be this dominant post scorer. Love is currently averaging 24/14/4 on a 500 team. Love is the better rebounder, passer, 3 point shooter, scores at similar rate, not a ball stopper and more importantly he produces more.

#StarkSet

Stark till I die
Supporter
Daps
If we sign him, I only want him for a 2 yr contract, he will be :flabbynsick: After that