The Show Must Go On: 2013-14 Los Angeles Lakers thread

MustafaSTL

Achievement In Every Field of Human Endeavor
Daps
Our front office is competent now? :bryan:

We hardly have any draft picks for the rest of the decade, because we traded them. Traded 4 of them for a 40 year old point guard with back problems.

In the past 14 years the Spurs won 4 titles by tanking for Duncan and Celtics won one in 2008 (They were tanking for Durant or Oden, but ended up with Jeff Green who they ended up using to trade for Ray Allen). You need assets in order to trade for quality players. We have none. We traded most of our future draft picks and the last time we drafted a player in the first round was in 2007, but keep living in your little fantasy world breh.
Bringing up the Celtics actually helps my argument. They failed in their tanking attempt. They got lucky that McHale was willing to get fleeced to help his old team. They attempted to get either Oden or Durant and failed. Without that gift trade from McHale, the entire situation is what I fear the Lakers would be in. With a 5th pick and player that is not a franchise changer.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
Bringing up the Celtics actually helps my argument. They failed in their tanking attempt. They got lucky that McHale was willing to get fleeced to help his old team. They attempted to get either Oden or Durant and failed. Without that gift trade from McHale, the entire situation is what I fear the Lakers would be in. With a 5th pick and player that is not a franchise changer.
No it does not. Because they still ended up getting an asset that they used to get an all-star player. They do not get KG and Ray Allen if they do not draft Jeff Green. KG only agreed to go to Boston once Boston traded for Ray Allen.

Back then it seemed like a fair trade. A lot of experts thought Gerald Green, Al Jefferson and Sebastian Telfair were going to be all-stars. They could have even gotten Rondo if they wanted him.

Last edited:

MustafaSTL

Daps
No it does not. Because they still ended getting an asset that they used to get an all-star player. They do not get KG and Ray Allen if they do not draft Jeff Green. KG only agreed to go to Boston once Boston traded for Ray Allen.

Back then it seemed like a fair trade. A lot of experts thought Gerald Green, Al Jefferson and Sebastian Telfair were going to be all-stars. They could have even gotten Rondo if they wanted him.
At the very time the trade was made everybody said McHale was just helping out his former team and knew it was time to let KG go. Everybody said this, where were you?

Again, if McHale doesn't gift them that trade, they basically would have tanked for Jeff fukking Green. Would that be worth it?

And let me ask this, you as a "fan" are happy seeing your team lose because you have some kind of better knowledge of how they will be in the future? You are actually happy when your team loses? Really?

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
With a 5th pick and player that is not a franchise changer.
:usure:

1995 Draft - 5th pick Kevin Garnett
1996 Draft - 5h pick Ray Allen, 13th pick Kobe Bryant, 15th pick Steve Nash
1997 Draft - 9 th pick Tracy McGrady
1998 Draft - 5th pick Vince Carter, 9th pick Dirk Nowitzki, 10th pick Paul Pierce
1999 Draft - 9th Shawn Marion
2001 Draft - 10th Joe Johnson
2002 Draft - 9th Amare Stoudamire
2003 Draft - 5th Dwayne Wade
2005 Draft - 10th Andrew Bynum
2006 Draft - 6th Brandon Roy
2007 Draft - 9th Joakim Noah
2008 Draft - 5th Kevin Love
2009 Draft - 5th Ricky Rubio
2010 Draft - 10th Paul George
2012 Draft - 6th Damian Lillard

:usure: :usure: :usure:

MustafaSTL

Daps
:usure:

1995 Draft - 5th pick Kevin Garnett
1996 Draft - 5h pick Ray Allen, 13th pick Kobe Bryant, 15th pick Steve Nash
1997 Draft - 9 th pick Tracy McGrady
1998 Draft - 5th pick Vince Carter, 9th pick Dirk Nowitzki, 10th pick Paul Pierce
1999 Draft - 9th Shawn Marion
2001 Draft - 10th Joe Johnson
2002 Draft - 9th Amare Stoudamire
2003 Draft - 5th Dwayne Wade
2005 Draft - 10th Andrew Bynum
2006 Draft - 6th Brandon Roy
2007 Draft - 9th Joakim Noah
2008 Draft - 5th Kevin Love
2009 Draft - 5th Ricky Rubio
2010 Draft - 10th Paul George
2012 Draft - 6th Damian Lillard

:usure: :usure: :usure:
That's not your argument. Stop it. You want to tank for Wiggins, Parker, or Randle. Not for the 5th-10th pick. Stop it. The 5th pick is projected to be Dante Exum from Australia. You want to say he's the next superstar in the NBA worth tanking for? Really?

Hell, I can point out all stars and superstars that were late first/second round picks. Stop it.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
That's not your argument. Stop it. You want to tank for Wiggins, Parker, or Randle. Not for the 5th-10th pick. Stop it. The 5th pick is projected to be Dante Exum from Australia. You want to say he's the next superstar in the NBA worth tanking for? Really?

Hell, I can point out all stars and superstars that were late first/second round picks. Stop it.
History has shown that you can get an all-time great player with the 5th pick.
I would prefer a top 3 pick, but I wouldn't cry over landing the 5th pick. That's an asset. Last week Chad Ford predicted that Dante Exum will be a superstar. He is already drawing comparisons to Penny Hardaway.

MustafaSTL

Daps

I would prefer a top 3 pick, but I wouldn't cry over landing the 5th pick. That's an asset. Last week Chad Ford predicted that Dante Exum will be a superstar. He is already drawing comparisons to Penny Hardaway.
So you would be happy if the Lakers lose games, and not get to see one of the greatest players in the history of the game play some more, so that we draft Dante fukking Exum?

You really think Boston is trading Rondo for the draft rights to Dante fukking Exum?

All because Chad Ford, who knows nothing, says he could be the next Penny? Really?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

He also said that about Darko. :bryan:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

The only way Minny got fleeced in that trade is that McHale was allowed to keep his job. The pieces they got back were fine. Mac just botched the use of them

MustafaSTL

Daps
The only way Minny got fleeced in that trade is that McHale was allowed to keep his job. The pieces they got back were fine. Mac just botched the use of them
When that trade happened I never thought it favored Minnesota in any way. Al Jefferson is your typical big man who can put up decent numbers but not having any winning effect on the game. Gerald Green was always just an athlete. Telfair never showed anything. It has always looked like a one sided trade from the start.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
You're 100% ass backwards in that thinking. Being average as hell is the absolute worst thing you can do in the NBA which the Lakers will be with Kobe back. Everybody knows Spurs held Robinson from coming back on time because they knew the season was a waste so why not try to improve draft position. Having a high draft pick doesn't guarantee you land a star but it definitely ups the odds. Lakers have the cap room to try and lure a superstar or at the very least to trade with a team looking to offload a star for salary. That cap room is likely gone after this year. So the best thing to do is to lose as much as possible to get the cheap assets now to go with whoever they sign in free agency.

Yeah, you should hope you stay competitive and just keep losing. It'll help you in May when you're in the lottery cause everyone knows Adam Silver will throw a bone to LAL in the lottery in his first year as commissioner.

Bilz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
When that trade happened I never thought it favored Minnesota in any way. Al Jefferson is your typical big man who can put up decent numbers but not having any winning effect on the game. Gerald Green was always just an athlete. Telfair never showed anything. It has always looked like a one sided trade from the start.
Because they were losing the best player involved. If you have a star player that wants to leave, you're in no position to win the trade. Other than Steve Nash to the Lakers, I can't think of many deals where a team won by trading their star away for spare parts.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP

It wasn't supposed to. You're trading the best player you'll ever have in your franchise's history. How was it supposed to be remotely beneficial, let alone get the winning end of it?

They got 2 1sts back (one of them which was already theirs), Al Jefferson who can clearly be a starting PF (drafting Kevin Love is what ruined that aspect of the deal, but my take on that is pretty set). Gomes was a solid contributor. Ratliff was a huge ass expiring (did it lead to anything? No, never expected it to be). Green they could have at least tried to develop but they never cared to develop him-- or anyone for that matter, for a team that can ONLY rely on the draft I defy anyone to name a player they've actually developed outside of Garnett and maybe Pekovic. Telfair in all honesty wasn't bad either here. If he could a layup he'd probably be a backup on a good team instead of being in China with his retarded cousin.

And to top it off, there weren't necessarily better offers.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
We aren't winning a title this year regardless if he plays or not. Might not even make the playoffs. With a top pick this year we can draft a player that can help us out in 2015 or we could even trade it for an already established superstar player. The Spurs were in a similar situation in 1997 with David Robinson and look how that worked out for them.
The Celtics tanked that year too and had two top 6 picks that turned into Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps
So you would be happy if the Lakers lose games, and not get to see one of the greatest players in the history of the game play some more, so that we draft Dante fukking Exum?

You really think Boston is trading Rondo for the draft rights to Dante fukking Exum?

All because Chad Ford, who knows nothing, says he could be the next Penny? Really?
And if we draft Wiggins, Randle or Parker then what nikka?

I better not see you rooting for Wiggins, Randle or Parker if they end up in a Lakers jersey. :ufdup:
Because they were losing the best player involved. If you have a star player that wants to leave, you're in no position to win the trade. Other than Steve Nash to the Lakers, I can't think of many deals where a team won by trading their star away for spare parts.
Orlando won the Dwight trade.
The Celtics tanked that year too and had two top 6 picks that turned into Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer.
They drafted Joe Johnson 4 years later and traded him too. Imagine if they had kept those guys.