The Rza or DJ Premier(Better Producer)

Mighty Mike

SOHH veteran
Daps
both got countless classics.
but rza takes this because of his run from 36 to forever. you can try to count his classic ALBUMS and still miss some.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This is a great debate. Honestly, neither side is wrong, no matter how much you break down the science of it.

To me, I see it in one or two basic ways. DJ Premier has more bangers over a longer period of time on a more diverse group of emcees work. For that reason, I'm inclined to say give Preem the nod.

But, on the other hand, although Premier did full albums with Gangstarr, no producer besides the RZA has ever had a 4-5 year run where they produced multiple albums back-to-back in such a short time, where every single track was unique, different, and the dopest shyt you ever heard. For that, I want to say I think RZA gets the nod.

I don't know. It changes weekly to me. I go through my Premier phases and my RZA phases. I probably enjoy Preem's work more as the years go by because even though he does less, he still has bangers (Game's "Born in the Trap", Evidence's "You" & "The Epilogue", etc.) The last RZA joints that really moved me were on Cuban Linx 2. But once again, no one ever did what RZA did from 93-97 and no one will ever repeat a feat like that. 36, Tical, Return to 36, Linx, Swords, Ironman, Forever......get the fukk outta here man. Too crazy.

Dope thread!

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I say RZA just because he can go from flipping a slight vocal clip:

to keyboarded out:

to a straight loop with the drums amped on the hook:

to layered beats:

to simple beats:

to tossing in pipes on chain link fences:

and all of those, while unique and different still somehow fit under that umbrella of the "Wu Sound" while never coming off repetitive or stagnating....true, RZA's quantity and quality have diminished last few years, but no producer has even approached being able to do what he did during Wu's peak.

Primo has his formula and it works for him, but he's always stronger w/ single tracks or shorter songs because the quick loop & scratched hook get tiresome the 3rd for 4th time through. That's why some of my favorite Primo cuts are the ones where he deviates from his formula:

Last edited by a moderator:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Primo had a pretty good run from 94-98 too

Hard To Earn
The Sun Rises in the East
Livin Proof
Wrath of the Math
Moment of Truth

also during that time was his work with Nas, Branford Marsalis, Big, KRS, Bahamadia, Jay, O.C., Rakim, etc

Black Miller

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Columbia, SC via Niagara Falls, NY
i think rza is more versatile and talented, but premier's longevity is more incredible. i would say premier even though i like rza's beats more. rza has more interests outside of music that pulled him away from it, where premier is a lifer, and seems like he gon just keep doing music.

i love both of these dudes music-premier by an inch. but i ain't mad at anybody who pick rza

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When rza did that stroke of death on the second ghost it was a wrap. If u listen to his beats from 92-98 u can only then appreciate the genius he is behind the boards. But u cant go wrong with either one.

Nefflum nigga

Bred from insolence
Daps
Reppin
St.louis
See i wasnt a wu head like yall n1ggaz was

The sh1t i did hear was nice. The work he did on ghostface and rae albums was top notch

Did rza do north star jewels?

What about motherless child?

Incarcerated scarfaces ?