The Raid 1 Vs. The Raid 2! Hmmm..... I Think Raid 1 Was Better

Which Is Better

• Total voters
Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
I liked the confined claustrophobic nature of the Raid 1 taking place in a single location.
Raid 2 was good too but it tended to drift a bit in spots while I found the original to be a tighter more focused movie all around.
^^^ This.
I watched the second one late as fukk and tell asleep a couple times throughout so maybe I need to give it a rewatch.

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
i don't know about that, The Raid 2 is prob the best Martial Arts/Action movie since Ong Bak 2 IMO a lot of people hated that story but i think it's an amazing movie from a Martial Arts perspective. have you not seen Ong Bak 1 or 2? The Protector? Merantau? Hero/Fearless?
I have both Ong Bak 1-2, and Tom Young Goon aka The Protector on Blu Ray and Ong Bak 2 was nice as far as martial arts but the story was a jumbled fukking mess and made hardly any sense. The Raid 1 and 2 easily shyt on both IMO. Fearless/Hero was cool but hell no the same with Merantau. I'm not just throwing it out there bc I seriously went through the list of action/martial arts movies in the past 14-15 years worth mentioning and I've seen just about all of them. None of them are coming close to the overall choreography, violence, and story telling as both of these movies.

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
I have both Ong Bak 1-2, and Tom Young Goon aka The Protector on Blu Ray and Ong Bak 2 was nice as far as martial arts but the story was a jumbled fukking mess and made hardly any sense. The Raid 1 and 2 easily shyt on both IMO. Fearless/Hero was cool but hell no the same with Merantau. I'm not just throwing it out there bc I seriously went through the list of action/martial arts movies in the past 14-15 years worth mentioning and I've seen just about all of them. None of them are coming close to the overall choreography, violence, and story telling as both of these movies.

I gotta agree with you on Ong Bak 2. The fights were awesome, but the story was garbage and part 3's story was even worse. I liked Ong Bak 1 and the Protector better.

Merantau was dope though and I liked how they improved each movie after that using the same dude. With that said The Raid series is better than all of those mentioned. I don't think they blow them out of the water, but their definitely better.

Personally, from what I've seen, only Flash Point, Kill Zone, and Fatal Contact come close to having fight scenes as dope as the ones in The Raid movies. Even then those movies aren't better due to bad pacing and overall lack of action.

jmegamar

On the Come up Member
Daps
Loved Raid 1 but 2 was on another level. The fight in the kitchen was top 3 of all time for me. Plus the cinematography was done very well. Especially when you think of the small budget.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
People really have a problem with Ong Bak 2 storyline tho? As a kid his parents are killed, brought up by a band of rebels/thieves, eventually learns the trade and finds out that these are the people that killed his family, takes revenge. Not thy hard to follow.

There are parts where it goes a bit off the track but I always thought it was their go at expanding the story just like Raid 2 did going beyond something simple as "bad guys took the special thing lets get it back".

Bottom line is Raid 2 - top 3-5 all time MA movie IMO. RAID 1 - top 5 of roughly last 10-15 years

Spaceman Piff

Superstar
Daps
i'm taking 2 over 1.. the action is just on another level which is really saying something.

i didn't like the story at all in the second one though. very generic asian gangster fare. i felt it tried to do a little more than it really had to do.. which was move the characters around so we could see that violence in different settings :ahh:

so 2 definitely had parts where i just stared at the screen waiting for the next fight.. :shaq2:

but.. when the action scenes did come along.. :ohlawd:

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
So how is Merantau? I watched the trailer and thought it was okay, but thats because I love this type of "fighting".

About R1 vs R2. I just cant choose, one is just balls to the walls get in get out (which I like) and the other is just :blessed:with the fight scenes and the gang/police interaction.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
So how is Merantau? I watched the trailer and thought it was okay, but thats because I love this type of "fighting".

About R1 vs R2. I just cant choose, one is just balls to the walls get in get out (which I like) and the other is just :blessed:with the fight scenes and the gang/police interaction.

Merantau is dope as fukk, but you might not like it as much since you already saw Raid 1 and 2.

I saw all of them in order, so each film impressed me more than the last one.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Merantau is dope but it's basically just Ong Bak 1 with Silat instead of Muay Thai. not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just something i noticed when i saw it. i remember seeing Ong Bak at the movies when it came out with one of my boys we were both :ohhh::gladbron::whoo::whew: the whole time. i wish i had the chance to see these other ones in cinemas :sadbron:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I liked the confined claustrophobic nature of the Raid 1 taking place in a single location.
Raid 2 was good too but it tended to drift a bit in spots while I found the original to be a tighter more focused movie all around.
This, this, this.

From start to finish, the first Raid movie had me hooked. The story held the action together and the pacing was PERFECT.

I liked The Raid 2 a lot, but anyone saying there weren't lulls in the film is kidding themselves.

LauderdaleBoss

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
Merantau is dope but it's basically just Ong Bak 1 with Silat instead of Muay Thai. not that that's necessarily a bad thing, just something i noticed when i saw it. i remember seeing Ong Bak at the movies when it came out with one of my boys we were both :ohhh::gladbron::whoo::whew: the whole time. i wish i had the chance to see these other ones in cinemas :sadbron:

This is true. Merantau is Ong Bak with Silat instead of Muay Thai.

That's dope that you saw Ong Bak at the movies though, that shyt was straight to dvd over here as far as I know. I remember seeing the commercials on Spike Tv and going to Best Buy the next day to buy that shyt.

I also think cats are exaggerating the lulls in Raid 2. I mean it dies down at points, but shyt kept me interested the whole way through. I think Flash Point had more lulls which is a shame since all of Donnie Yen's fights in that movie were awesome as fukk and on the level of the Raid series.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
I'm thinking Raid 1 was better, because the entire movie was piff!!!!!

Raid 2 was dope too don't get me wrong but it only gets super dope at the end of the movie
The real piff starts with him fighting the baseball bat guy and hammer girl and from then on it's piff, but before that it goes kinda slow.

Raid 1 had very little slowness, it was piff throughout the movie!

Thoughts?
:guilty: that part is like literally 20mins before the movie ends

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
The Raid 2 fell off after the first hour. The first hour was :ohlawd: .Then too many characters were thrown into the story, which led to it becoming convoluted. Rama disappeared and wasn't in the action for about 40 minutes. However the film picked up in the last 40 minutes.

The Raid had a better main villain in Mad Dog, something that the sequel greatly lacked, Hammer Girl, Baseball guy and "The Assassin" were introduced far too late. Nothing in The Raid 2 topped the Mad Dog/brothers fight(gave them boys that work:whew:)

However The Raid 2 had a better story and better characters. It also had more action. Both are on equal footing for me.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I saw em both for the first time finally last week.

Enjoyed em both but I voted raid 1. It was about the perfect length. Id have enjoyed it much much more if I hadn't seen dredd 2012 first :mjpls:

The 2nd was cool but a bit too long. I also wanted to see a bit more of dude in prison. The mud fight was epic though