The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
My 57” 8K super ultrawide just got delivered. This thing is fukking huge. I could pick up and take my 49” box upstairs no problem. I had to drag the 57” box upstairs to my computer space (I have carpet). This shyt might actually need 2 people is you’re too small. I can manage it by myself, but damn shyt is just gigantic. :whew:

I’m gonna try and set it up later tonight or tomorrow. I need to move my desk a bit to allow for the extra width of the monitor. Hopefully I have enough space, or I’m gonna have to rethink my setup strategy :jbhmm:
How's your health?

Mister_DoItNice

Leading The Regime
Daps
Reppin
The Concrete Jungle
He got his hands on the 14900K early and didn’t have to abide by any embargos because Intel didn’t provide the sample. Not looking worth it for me already having a 13900KS.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
Any tips/warnings for doing your first build?
Install your cpu, ram, cpu aircooler (or m.2 ssd if you have one) onto your motherboard first before you install in the pc case. Make sure remove the sticker on the cpu heatsink on the aircooler or aio liquid cooler before mounting to motherboard.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Install the parts outside of the case first to test everything.

I was building a computer for someone last year and I got everything set up in the case. Hit the switch. Nothing.

Spent hours trying to troubleshoot it. Thought I was going crazy because nothing added up. Turned out the Mobo was DOA. I took it back and replaced it the following morning. Everything powered up fine.

I could've saved time had I not been in a rush to just get it up and running. But because I've done it plenty of times before I figured it'd be just like every other time.

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps
Set aside a couple of hours to focus on it. It may look quick on youtube videos but when doing it in real time, an hour can go by quick before you're finished. That doesn't include the time you may spend troubleshooting everything after assembly.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Install the parts outside of the case first to test everything.

I was building a computer for someone last year and I got everything set up in the case. Hit the switch. Nothing.

Spent hours trying to troubleshoot it. Thought I was going crazy because nothing added up. Turned out the Mobo was DOA. I took it back and replaced it the following morning. Everything powered up fine.

I could've saved time had I not been in a rush to just get it up and running. But because I've done it plenty of times before I figured it'd be just like every other time.
I definitely agree with this. Testing components before putting them in your case will save a lot of time if something is faulty. It literally would have saved me days worth of time on my latest build, as I wouldn’t have had to fill, drain, assemble and take down tubes repeatedly.

Also, if your mobo doesn’t recognize your ram, try updating the bios with the flash port. Additionally, from my last build, if you are having trouble with the setup make sure to look at your psu as well. That was the last thing I looked at, but it turned out to be the problem (well at least one of the problems).

You can get a cheap test bench on Amazon for like $50. You can mount the mobo and test the components real easily in the open.

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas

make sure you discharge any static electricity you may have built up before you start installing things. assuming you don't have an anti-static wristband, touch something metal nearby (the frame of your computer case may suffice) to make sure you're discharged, then go to work.

for cable management, depending on you PSU (and case), you might be better served to plug the cables into your mobo/gpu/hdds/ssds/fans and then route them to your psu, instead of plugging the cables to your psu then trying to route them to your mobo/gpu/etc.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Alright brehs….how does the list look?

Primary use is gonna be gaming and maybe streaming. Want something that’ll last me a long time, with the availability to upgrade in the future.

Where should I save $?
Which parts would you upgrade?

I want a dual monitor set up….I was thinking 27 & a 24…but those are different resolutions….Is that doable? Also for those with dual monitors….what do y’all think about different sizes? Or would you stick to same size for each?

I was thinking of getting the Lian Lancool 3 case, but wanted something a bit smaller.

Edit:

Missing speakers, keyboard, and mouse on the list.

Allen Poe

All Star
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans --> Las Vegas

Primary use is gonna be gaming and maybe streaming. Want something that’ll last me a long time, with the availability to upgrade in the future.

Where should I save $?

I want a dual monitor set up….I was thinking 27 & a 24…but those are different resolutions….Is that doable? Also for those with dual monitors….what do y’all think about different sizes? Or would you stick to same size for each?

I was thinking of getting the Lian Lancool 3 case, but wanted something a bit smaller.

Edit:

different size monitors and/or different resolutions are no problem. i run a 27" 1440p monitor with a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide, with a 55" 4k TV. It's all up to you on your use case and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to be.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
different size monitors and/or different resolutions are no problem. i run a 27" 1440p monitor with a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide, with a 55" 4k TV. It's all up to you on your use case and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to be.
Do you have pics of your setup?

Also, 15 year old me would’ve scoffed at the idea of actually ‘buying’ an OS…..now:flabbynsick: gonna throw that windows 11 in the cart

Rev Leon Lonnie Love

damned mine eyes, DAMNED mine eyes!!
Daps

Where should I save $?

Edit:

Here is an updated / optimized list: Part List - AMD Ryzen 7 7700, Radeon RX 6700 XT, Corsair 3000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
- switched out the RAM for a better one
- used a cheaper mobo, no need to overspend
- Better storage
- cheaper case
- your PSU seems like a tier A (kinda) based on the tier list here: PSU Tier List rev. 17.0g - Cultists Network so I did not change that.
- Plus the total price is about $50 cheaper for you to spend that on something else. I'd get the Logitech MX Master 3S mouse if you are looking for one.
Where you should save or upgrade will depend on your use cases. If you are a gamer, and want to stay around the same budget, you can upgrade the card by getting a chaper case, even cheaper mobo and maybe get the Ryzen 5 7600X since 8 cores wont do much for gaming.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
This fukking 8K is huge as shyt. It's like 5 feet wide. I'm moving around some things on my desk (which is already extra wide). I gotta wait on a new DP cable though from Amazon. This shyt is almost as long as a woman lying down, and they only give you like a 5ft DP cable :dead:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
My 57” 8K super ultrawide just got delivered. This thing is fukking huge. I could pick up and take my 49” box upstairs no problem. I had to drag the 57” box upstairs to my computer space (I have carpet). This shyt might actually need 2 people is you’re too small. I can manage it by myself, but damn shyt is just gigantic. :whew:

I’m gonna try and set it up later tonight or tomorrow. I need to move my desk a bit to allow for the extra width of the monitor. Hopefully I have enough space, or I’m gonna have to rethink my setup strategy :jbhmm:
Breh said 8K :wow: