The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ruck

Where the hell is Diamond?!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Last Frontier
I follow techpowerup reviews. 4090 is about what i expected. I was surprised how actually efficient it is. Its still fukk nvidia for me tho.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get it but its starting to get a little patronizing all the "this product ain't for you its a Halo product shyt". Yes it is crazy expensive and not necessary for most people but we get it already. Stop shaming cats that want to go ham for their hobby.

Him

1-1800-IMHIM
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Golden △
Limited-time deal for Prime Members: Corsair 5000D Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case - Black https://a.co/d/eIeOWgD

Been eying this case and it’s on sale for prime members. I think that’s a damn good price.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I get it but its starting to get a little patronizing all the "this product ain't for you its a Halo product shyt". Yes it is crazy expensive and not necessary for most people but we get it already. Stop shaming cats that want to go ham for their hobby.

Listen, buddy. Perhaps the 4090 isn't the card for you...

:lolbron:

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Man that 4090 is so crazy for VR but I don't know if I can do it. :mjcry:

My 1070ti does VR just fine and so does my 970 just a bit slower load times than it's big brother. I honestly don't know when I'm gonna upgrade from my 1070ti. It's still doing it's thing.

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
My 1070ti does VR just fine and so does my 970 just a bit slower load times than it's big brother. I honestly don't know when I'm gonna upgrade from my 1070ti. It's still doing it's thing.
I need it for sim racing, so the picture needs to be as clear as possible, which means powering a serious headset. The 2070 Super I have now is too weak, to put things into perspective, people that say otherwise are just cutting corners by lowering settings and decreasing the base resolution. The 3090 was the card for people looking for legit VR performance, then comes the huge jump in performance with the 4090, which would solve all the VR issues I have right now for sim racing. Likely going to look to 4080 performance and settle there. The most I have ever spent PC/gaming wise was on the OLED, which was definitely worth it, I just can't justify the 4090 at that price for just sim racing.

edit: And I'm only talking about VR for sim racing. With sim racing, I need things to be clear from a distance, these sim racing titles already come in with trash performance, check the 4090 performance for Assetto Corsa, but sim racing, annoyingly, taps into the most demanding aspects of VR.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
I need it for sim racing, so the picture needs to be as clear as possible, which means powering a serious headset. The 2070 Super I have now is too weak, to put things into perspective, people that say otherwise are just cutting corners by lowering settings and decreasing the base resolution. The 3090 was the card for people looking for legit VR performance, then comes the huge jump in performance with the 4090, which would solve all the VR issues I have right now for sim racing. Likely going to look to 4080 performance and settle there. The most I have ever spent PC/gaming wise was on the OLED, which was definitely worth it, I just can't justify the 4090 at that price for just sim racing.

edit: And I'm only talking about VR for sim racing. With sim racing, I need things to be clear from a distance, these sim racing titles already come in with trash performance, check the 4090 performance for Assetto Corsa, but sim racing, annoyingly, taps into the most demanding aspects of VR.

I played Alyx with everything on Ultra. I had to turn some lighting and shadow settings to High for Bonelab but My headset was bugging the first time I played it so I'm gonna try to turn everything up to ultra next time. I have an i5 9600k, 32 gigs of ddr 4 ram and I'm running my games off of a Samsung SSD. I have a feeling that my 1070 is gonna have at least another 2 years in her.

Reflected

Daps
I played Alyx with everything on Ultra. I had to turn some lighting and shadow settings to High for Bonelab but My headset was bugging the first time I played it so I'm gonna try to turn everything up to ultra next time. I have an i5 9600k, 32 gigs of ddr 4 ram and I'm running my games off of a Samsung SSD. I have a feeling that my 1070 is gonna have at least another 2 years in her.

What headset are you on? Last headset I retired, due to my GPU, was the Reverb G2.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I'm not going to call you a liar (lying ass Coli MF :martin:, disrespectfully of course :whoa: ) but I always get weary when people say that. What sort of trade offs do you gotta make when using these older cards? What performance are you getting out of it?

Reflected

Daps
I'm not going to call you a liar (lying ass Coli MF :martin:, disrespectfully of course :whoa: ) but I always get weary when people say that. What sort of trade offs do you gotta make when using these older cards? What performance are you getting out of it?
:dead: I can believe him because it will depend on the resolution of his headset and the level of optimization he is getting in his games. But yeah in general, I always hated, at least on reddit, when people would be like "the game runs fine for me" but they are on a 1080p monitor, with some settings toned down, and they are probably too silly to notice FPS drops. I remember getting so heated that I would ask people for benchmarks that were obviously never provided.

Also, something to note, Steam has a default VR setting that adjusts the resolution in favor of performance, that will definitely affect reporting but for the games he mentioned I could believe it, sim racing is just demanding in an odd way that other gaming developers don't have to worry about.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity

The vast majority of PC and PCVR games I play at all Ultra. GTAV ultra, SWBF2 ultra. RDR2 I have to put shyt down to high, same with Bonelab. I can't complain and as drivers/game patches optimize the software this only extends the life of the card. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford to upgrade I would but I don't got it like that. Luckily I got a good, reliable card to carry me for now.