The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
The vast majority of PC and PCVR games I play at all Ultra. GTAV ultra, SWBF2 ultra. RDR2 I have to put shyt down to high, same with Bonelab. I can't complain and as drivers/game patches optimize the software this only extends the life of the card. Don't get me wrong, if I could afford to upgrade I would but I don't got it like that (
full
). Luckily I got a good, reliable card to carry me for now.
Damn that's wild. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations on how my 3090 is supposed to behave at 1440. Can't remember off hand which games, but I have to come off ultra settings to keep frames in triple digits. I also do run other shyt on my second monitor simultaneously though.

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps

Ah, I loved that headset, only dropped it because, at the time, the PCVR experience was terrible on sim racing, it was too demanding at the time for my 970 through the cable. I got to try it on the 2070s but I needed the native resolution to simrace, at least at the clarity I was looking for, and that resolution was killing my 2070s for sim racing. But yeah, no better headset at that price point, I just don't go around suggesting it as much because people get crazy over the facebook/meta thing, which is understandable, but that headset does almost everything right.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Damn that's wild. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations on how my 3090 is supposed to behave at 1440. Can't remember off hand which games, but I have to come off ultra settings to keep frames in triple digits. I also do run other shyt on my second monitor simultaneously though.

I have a triple monitor setup. :wow:
Lol at triple digit frame rates. My main monitor is 72htz so fps is limited to 72 and I'm more than ok with that. My headset is set to 120htz I think so my PC is rendering the game on one monitor at 72 fps and each eye lense at 120 while running two other monitors. Tech is fukking crazy today. If I took 20 year old me to see my rig today he would fall down and cry.

Reflected

Living in fear in the year of the tiger.
Daps
Damn, I think the 4090 will be the first official 4k card, it's annoying being at 1440p though because developers optimize with 1080p/60fps in mind. I would say 3090 was the only 4k card at the time, but that was because it had the power to bring a normal experience (60+ stable) to the resolution, but as you noted, if targeting 100+, you need some serious power to keep settings maxed.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Damn, I think the 4090 will be the first official 4k card, it's annoying being at 1440p though because developers optimize with 1080p/60fps in mind. I would say 3090 was the only 4k card at the time, but that was because it had the power to bring a normal experience (60+ stable) to the resolution, but as you noted, if targeting 100+, you need some serious power to keep settings maxed.
Yeah with tweaking I can get 120+ in the majority of stuff I play. Flight Sim being the obvious outlier, but that's mostly CPU. They desperately need to get the engine to take advantage of high core systems for their simulations.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I've had the same Cooler Master 700 waat PSU for like 15 years. :dead:

:pachaha:

Most high-end rigs I'm seeing built online have 1000w PSUs. With all the bells and whistles tacked on these days(RGB everything + powered peripherals), that ceiling is getting closer. I hope you fellas are investing in a UPS.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
:pachaha:

Most high-end rigs I'm seeing built online have 1000w PSUs. With all the bells and whistles tacked on these days(RGB everything + powered peripherals), that ceiling is getting closer. I hope you fellas are investing in a UPS.

I do have one.
It's nice but I don't know if that would supplement a PSU that can't meet it's requirements.

Do you know anything about that?

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
A PSU can only put out as much as it can regardless of whether the PC is hooked up to a UPS, at least that's the way I picture it in my head.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I do have one.
It's nice but I don't know if that would supplement a PSU that can't meet it's requirements.

Do you know anything about that?

Not supplement, nah. Just that if you have a 1000w UPS and a rig that has a 1000w PSU, any collective power draw that surges and approaches/broaches the PSU limits will trip off the fuse on the UPS. I've seen that happen a few times.

Orbital-Fetus

cross that bridge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Humanity
Not supplement, nah. Just that if you have a 1000w UPS and a rig that has a 1000w PSU, any collective power draw that surges and approaches/broaches the PSU limits will trip off the fuse on the UPS. I've seen that happen a few times.

The UPS is triggered when power is cut off from it. Why would a possible overdraw from the PSU cause the UPS to trip?
I'm not an electrician or trying to be a dikk, just asking some hard hitting questions for the people.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
The UPS is triggered when power is cut off from it. Why would a possible overdraw from the PSU cause the UPS to trip?
I'm not an electrician or trying to be a dikk, just asking some hard hitting questions for the people.

I probably know less than you :pachaha:

I'm also probably using the wrong term with "fuse", more likely it's a circuit breaker. I'm just relaying what I've seen. If somebody knows more, I'm all ears.