The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Picked this up at a pawnshop today for $250. :mjgrin:
laptop-screen-grab.png

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Picked this up at a pawnshop today for $250. :mjgrin:
Keep an eye on the charging ports and screen. I'm about to be on my 3rd HP Chromebook in 3 years because of recurring issues. Different OS but my 14" had the same parts I'd bet. If you send in the device, they have no idea what they are doing.

For me, it's luckily been under warranty so I'm getting the equivalent of an upgrade each year but it's a frustrating experience and I no longer trust them as a company.
KUTJkpO.png

KageDaBeast

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Durham, NC
Planning on upgrading my refurb'd Lenovo M81 to an SSD.

My plan is to keep the HDD as a backup drive and load the OS and most popular apps I use onto the SSD. I plan on replacing the optical drive w/ the SSD. Is this a tricky install and also how do I determine what size the caddy adapter should be??

Edit: Got a SATA SSD instead of the nVME since I have PCIe 2.0. I will just install the SSD in the expected location & remove the old HDD after copying the files over

Dunno if you've already done it, but you can clone the old HDD to your new SSD, then just set it as the boot drive. Check out Macrium Reflect, it'll clone ya drive for free.

Reflect Free Edition

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Planning on upgrading my refurb'd Lenovo M81 to an SSD.

My plan is to keep the HDD as a backup drive and load the OS and most popular apps I use onto the SSD. I plan on replacing the optical drive w/ the SSD. Is this a tricky install and also how do I determine what size the caddy adapter should be??

Edit: Got a SATA SSD instead of the nVME since I have PCIe 2.0. I will just install the SSD in the expected location & remove the old HDD after copying the files over
My computer feels faster but it definitely took me ~10 hours to figure this out . (Technically like 7 hours was me repeatedly cloning my hard drive but a solid three hours of troubleshooting)

The drive clones took 2-3 hours each, and were successful, but whenever I unplugged the old HDD the SSD boot failed to be recognized. After 2-3 attempts, I had to USB boot recovery media and fix the boot partition. From there, I was good to go.

I ended up disconnecting the SATA/Power from the Optical Drive to clone the HHD-> SSD, so I will likely wipe the HDD and keep it as a backup after all.
It definitely took me ~10 hours to figure this out . (Technically like 7 hours was me repeatedly cloning my hard drive but a solid three hours of troubleshooting)

Cᵣₐₛₕ&ₜₕₑCₒᵤₚ

____ exposing themselves
Daps
Was planning to make a new build next year but not sure if this will be viable anymore. Might just make the conversion to high end gaming laptops and trade them in every 2-3 years. Only GPU I have basically going for 1000 right now.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
I live down the street from a MicroCenter and it's still ridiculous. 6600xt isn't good enough for me to drop $500 on it. Pre builts with 3060s are like $1300 which isn't terrible but somethings got to give eventually.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
The graphics card market is on crack

What are these prices wtf

I got a 3090 FE from nvidia site last January and I think retail it was 13 or 1400....

I see the same card on amazon RIGHT NOW for 2800 :gucci:

It's crazy to think if I sold my 3090 for 2k I'd still be 800 short of a new card :gucci:

This might legit be the first time I rock a gpu until it die :picard: