The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
need ya'll help, im thinking about buying a laptop but i cant decide

AMD Ryzen 7 5000(hp omen) vs a i7?

which is better?
I been partial to the Ryzens the last few years due to the lower heat/lowerr power draw, n performance.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'll occasionally look around at 3070's and the prices are just silly.
i hope my 1070 TI SC Black keeps doing it's thing for at least another couple of years.

the 4000 series looks astonishing but that power draw though...
i think i have a 750 watt PSU and that should be enough but that's way down the line for me.

Every NVIDIA GPU has NIS now, which is their upscaler answer to AMD FSR and works one every game you just have to set up in NVIDIA control panel

So if you have 4k Screen, you can have the GPU render the game at 1080p and it will automatically upscale it to 4k without you losing any frames

This type of technology is the future, I didn't start PC for real until 2017, so I was thinking I need the best of everything when really you don't, other than to say you have the best when it's not even practical, because it will be over kill for most games and but won't keep the same level of performance with demanding games

it's like owning real estate, you never want to won the best house on the block, because you have diminshing returns, your house is bringing up the value of all the cheaper houses around you, while all those cheaper houses are bringing down your value

The power draw is on the 4080 and and 4090, you don't have to get those unless you want to 120hz 4k gaming like me,

You can get the 4060 and will have the same performance has the 3080 and you will get it for a lot cheaper also with NIS and DLSS technology getting better and better, you won't need any of these expensive cards to game at whatever resolution you want at high frames

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Let this groupie ass nikkaz on my dikk, you don't know anything about any of this shyt that's why you can't even have a normal conversation about it can't even point one thing about this post, because you don't know anything, NIS been in NVIDIA control panel for 2 years, they just added to GeForce experience so it automatically optimizing the games, which is any game that using TAA can upscale flawlessly I already tried with Final Fantasy XV and Horizon Zero Dawn even from 1080p is almost the same image as native 4k, it works way better than DLSS and FSR

you already been exposed you all cap

I'm not talking about Dlss. I'm talking about you actually thinking they're gonna produce enough 4080s during a chip shortage. 4080 gonna be $2000...

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not talking about Dlss. I'm talking about you actually thinking they're gonna produce enough 4080s during a chip shortage. 4080 gonna be $2000...

I just said you don't need to buy any expensive GPUs anymore NIS is better than DLSS and more modern games will have TAA support

If you have a 3080 now, you are could for another 7 years

you don't need to buy a 4080 to get 4k 120hz, and DLSS is improving with every update soon it will be perfected

4080 MSRP already been reported as 1400, so it's not that bad of situation, people been paying 500 dollars more, or you can just wait in best buy line if you want for MSRP

It's been a shortage, didn't stop anybody from getting a 3080, 4080 shyt on a 3090 so 2000 will be worth it, the 4090 gonna be 3000 msrp, nobody gonna scalp the shyt, and all the cards will be nerfed for someone

Pimp

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I just said you don't need to buy any expensive GPUs anymore NIS is better than DLSS and more modern games will have TAA support

If you have a 3080 now, you are could for another 7 years

you don't need to buy a 4080 to get 4k 120hz, and DLSS is improving with every update soon it will be perfected

4080 MSRP already been reported as 1400, so it's not that bad of situation, people been paying 500 dollars more, or you can just wait in best buy line if you want for MSRP

It's been a shortage, didn't stop anybody from getting a 3080, 4080 shyt on a 3090 so 2000 will be worth it, the 4090 gonna be 3000 msrp, nobody gonna scalp the shyt, and all the cards will be nerfed for someone

4080 will be double whatever the MSRP is and will be unavailable forever due to crypto

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
On my 3rd HP Chromebook in 3 years.
  • Bought a 2-in-1 Chromebook in 11/2018
    • 6/2019 - Started experiencing lines on the screen and sent it in for repairs under the 1-year warranty
  • 8/2019 - After screwing up my repair claim multiple times, HP just sent me a new chromebook of my choosing (of course I picked a more expensive model) and gave me an extended warranty (3 yr)
  • 11/2021 - The chager port starts malfunctioning intermittently and the screen starts experiencing lines again. Sent it in for repairs
    • Received a new/refurb version of the same Chromebook today
Three years is the longest I've went without buying a new laptop in like 1-2 decades. The quality of HP's devices are pretty lackluster long term, but I'll be damned if I don't enjoy them when they're working. If this laptop breaks too, I hope it does it before Fall '22 when my extended warranty expires. Doubt I'll get another HP device moving forward, but we'll see what's on the market then.

Bruh. Why are you not using a media server such as Plex or Emby to handle this? Way too much work for video watching in 2021, even after the changes you stated
Looked into Plex before. Will have to try it again. Usually I'm just watching 1-2 tutorial videos I downloaded off of YouTube, and my TV is hooked up to my desktop so but I will look into it some more to see if it fixes any redundant steps. Looks like I have to pay to stream to my Android device too so I might just stick w/ MPV for now...