The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Any reason why after I did an overclock, my bios shows 3.90GHZ but CPU-Z and HWmonitor show 3399Mhz current 3699Mhz Max?

Misconfiguration or are they just reading wrong?

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Any reason why after I did an overclock, my bios shows 3.90GHZ but CPU-Z and HWmonitor show 3399Mhz current 3699Mhz Max?

Is this at idle? I'm assuming you have an AMD card? When I had one, Cool N Quiet setting (enabled) would lower the clock speed even if it was overclocked. As long as it maintains it when it's under load, I wouldn't worry about it.

Romell

Superstar
Daps
Is this at idle? I'm assuming you have an AMD card? When I had one, Cool N Quiet setting (enabled) would lower the clock speed even if it was overclocked. As long as it maintains it when it's under load, I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah AMD. I was using Ryzen Master to do on the spot overclocking for gaming sessions for cpu intensive games, but decided to try out a higher hardware overclock. I've stressed it with Control on max settings and GTA V, but it doesn't seem to go above 3.7Ghz on the monitors and idles at 3.4ghz. Curious if maybe I missed something. Running stable though.

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yeah AMD. I was using Ryzen Master to do on the spot overclocking for gaming sessions for cpu intensive games, but decided to try out a higher hardware overclock. I've stressed it with Control on max settings and GTA V, but it doesn't seem to go above 3.7Ghz on the monitors and idles at 3.4ghz. Curious if maybe I missed something. Running stable though.
I uninstalled Ryzen Master after I realized it was messing up and conflicting with BIOS settings. There's also the possibility of the overclock itself not being stable enough to stay at that clock speed. You may just have to do some more tinkering with increasing the voltage, if it's that worth it to you.

I'm not sure which gen/model you're on but I know past Zen models would struggle going past 3.9 unless they were ones with the X qualifiers. I didn't push mine past 3.8. The difference was negligible for me on games.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps

a lot of software will only show your chip's stock clocks (but I think CPU-Z should show the actual clock speed). plus your CPU won't hit it's top clock speeds if it's not under full load. it will lower the clock speed to save power, if it's not needed

make sure you have the latest version of the software, plus your mobo's bios

Theolodius_Black

Whoopin suckas with a bag of oranges
Daps
Reppin
Brookhaven,MS to Tallyho, FL
I uninstalled Ryzen Master after I realized it was messing up and conflicting with BIOS settings. There's also the possibility of the overclock itself not being stable enough to stay at that clock speed. You may just have to do some more tinkering with increasing the voltage, if it's that worth it to you.

I'm not sure which gen/model you're on but I know past Zen models would struggle going past 3.9 unless they were ones with the X qualifiers. I didn't push mine past 3.8. The difference was negligible for me on games.

I recently did the same. I was trying to figure out why the idle temps/ voltage was so high on that 3600. I felt like ryzen master made it worse :francis:

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Flexible. Up to $400 I suppose. But could spend more If I had to.

I know you can't really "future proof" technology. But I want this build to last a while...that's why I was thinking 1440p.

The reason I said 1440p was a real gaming resolution is because it is a compromise you mainly make for framerate. If you're only light gaming, there's no real need to worry about the future, unless you have another high-resource use case (editing, streaming, etc). Your case seems to be more dictated by performance vs price. 1080p is price, 4k is performance.

If you're mounting, you can save on the adjustable stand

1080p no frills, just gets the job done

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
Looking to get this but idk wtf I’m even looking at. Is it worth it? All I want to play is GTA 5 LSPDFR, and I want it to run smoothly on really decent settings. That’s all I ask :to:
ULglTuW.jpg

yoU2yem.jpg

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Thinking of a new computer

I9-9900k (or 10700k)
2070 rtx
32 gb ram

all parts (power supply, case, motherboard etc) came out to about $1700

i really want to hold out for 3000 series from nvidia but my computer on its last legs and I could always resell the 2070 for half price probably

im also not sure if the extra $500 ( :wow: ) For a 2080 And 10900k is worth the extra performance

im rocking a i7-3770k and 970gtx, very out dated hardware now and still get 150 fps constant in world of warcraft but i lock at 60 fps on fps games like apex and i can feel it kind of sluggish to my likings on warzone

Edit: motherboards have spiked up a lot in pricing :wow:

a good motherboard was $80-120, top end $150-200 before now its like $200-400 :damn:

Last edited:

Eza

King Shiit
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I hate to ask this but how the fukk do I delete my search history in my browser bar on Chrome using Windows 10? Like I see no option other than clicking x next to everything that populates that I've searched for.

shyt is hella annoying, anybody know how to wipe this shyt out in one fell swoop?

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
The reason I said 1440p was a real gaming resolution is because it is a compromise you mainly make for framerate. If you're only light gaming, there's no real need to worry about the future, unless you have another high-resource use case (editing, streaming, etc). Your case seems to be more dictated by performance vs price. 1080p is price, 4k is performance.

If you're mounting, you can save on the adjustable stand

1080p no frills, just gets the job done

Thanks. I'm not mounting so I'd want the stand.

I'll decide soon...

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I hate to ask this but how the fukk do I delete my search history in my browser bar on Chrome using Windows 10? Like I see no option other than clicking x next to everything that populates that I've searched for.

shyt is hella annoying, anybody know how to wipe this shyt out in one fell swoop?
Looks like "Ctrl+H" is the shortcut to search history, Then Clear Browser Data.