The PC Thread - Tips, Benchmarks, Specs, Laptops, Custom Desktops, Pre-Builds and more.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
My PC has been stuck in a boot loop since Wednesday night after installing an update
:snoop:

I can't log in to Windows, I can't boot into Safe Mode, I've tried the Advanced Repair Options (created a recovery USB drive just to get to the repair options) and nothing is working. Last resort is Resetting the PC and keeping the files and reinstalling everything, but I realllllllllllly do not want to have to do that

I've tried getting into Safe Mode numerous ways and nothing gives. If I do have to reset this shyt, will my application project files and settings still be saved? I have some video editing projects that I don't want to have to start over on after reinstalling the software for them.

:francis:
I've been there. I had a situation a few years ago, where I knew a fresh install would fix the issue, but I waited until I tested every other option beforehand, as I couldn't stop thinking how shytty it would be to reinstall everything. I eventually did the fresh install. Looking back, me trying shyt I knew wouldn't work, took longer than a fresh install and reinstalling everything. After this though, you will learn the valuable lesson of putting all of your documents in your One Drive folder (so they are always backed up) and keeping all your games on a separate hdd/ssd (so that you don't have to download all of your games again).

Breh, a fresh install is probably what you need. You might lose some files and settings though, as it's always a risk. If your videos are on a different drive than your boot drive, just take your hdd/ssd out and plug it into another computer. Copy the files off the hdd/ssd to an external and you're good to go.

I do know that shyt sucks a lot. But sometimes you gotta start over :francis:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I've been there. I had a situation a few years ago, where I knew a fresh install would fix the issue, but I waited until I tested every other option beforehand, as I couldn't stop thinking how shytty it would be to reinstall everything. I eventually did the fresh install. Looking back, me trying shyt I knew wouldn't work, took longer than a fresh install and reinstalling everything. After this though, you will learn the valuable lesson of putting all of your documents in your One Drive folder (so they are always backed up) and keeping all your games on a separate hdd/ssd (so that you don't have to download all of your games again).

Breh, a fresh install is probably what you need. You might lose some files and settings though, as it's always a risk. If your videos are on a different drive than your boot drive, just take your hdd/ssd out and plug it into another computer. Copy the files off the hdd/ssd to an external and you're good to go.

I do know that shyt sucks a lot. But sometimes you gotta start over :francis:
You couldn't boot into Safe Mode either? That's what's annoying me, I can't even do that... I'd at least be able to look around my drives before resetting everything.

There's only 1 project that I'm dreading having to start over on. I have to see if I saved the project file to my external... if I did then I'll just reset it. I knew I shouldn't have touched that update... that's legit the last thing I did for this to happen.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:whew:

@Ciggavelli

I have the main video project that I was editing on an external drive, so I'll be able to pick up where I left off with that one.

Also, all of my media files are stored on an HDD on this PC, but Windows is installed on an SSD. When I go to reset the PC, it's only going to reset the SSD right? Either way, I'm probably going to just remove my HDD with all my shyt on it and reset Windows that the SSD is on... then hook up the HDD back up after that's done.

:king:

I think that should work.

Main thing was that 1 video that I was working on that I really didn't want to start over on.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
You couldn't boot into Safe Mode either? That's what's annoying me, I can't even do that... I'd at least be able to look around my drives before resetting everything.

There's only 1 project that I'm dreading having to start over on. I have to see if I saved the project file to my external... if I did then I'll just reset it. I knew I shouldn't have touched that update... that's legit the last thing I did for this to happen.
Yes, but it was related to a very sophisticated virus attack I got and another time due to bad ram.

I’m assuming you’ve tried all this:
Solutions for a Computer That Won't Go Past the Startup Options

If not, maybe try out that cmd shyt to restore windows files that may have gotten corrupted with the update.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
:whew:

@Ciggavelli

I have the main video project that I was editing on an external drive, so I'll be able to pick up where I left off with that one.

Also, all of my media files are stored on an HDD on this PC, but Windows is installed on an SSD. When I go to reset the PC, it's only going to reset the SSD right? Either way, I'm probably going to just remove my HDD with all my shyt on it and reset Windows that the SSD is on... then hook up the HDD back up after that's done.

:king:

I think that should work.

Main thing was that 1 video that I was working on that I really didn't want to start over on.
Yes, it shouldn’t erase your 2nd drive. In theory it shouldn’t erase your documents off your SSD either, but I don’t fully trust that. I would actually unplug your hdd before resetting even. Then you can just plug it back in after the reset

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Which one?
Adobe Suite CS6... it was old but it got the job done

I started using alternatives for my work anyway, so it's not too bad, but I did crack open Photoshop for some shyt here and there.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wanted to wait but I see that the 3000 series Ryzens have some tremendous improvements compared to the 2000 series even with the same amount of cores. I just snagged a open box 3700X from Microgoatcenter for $280 and will upgrade my 2600 to that. That 8 core will come in HANDY for these cpu core intensive games like Ass Creed and whatnot. :whew:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Any success? Did you have to do a fresh install or windows reset? :lupe:
Fresh install.

I'm going through the Windows.old folder today and moving over stuff I'm keeping and then deleting the rest.

I'll install all my apps and games today I guess