The Orville - Star Trek Satire Comedy From Seth MacFarlane And Jon Favreau

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually like this. It's like a light hearted trek instead of something constantly going from gag to gag. Second episode was definitely something you would have seen on TNG

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was watching a bit of the pilot before the DVR fukked up. It's not as bad as the critics made it out to be, but it clearly doesn't know what it wants to be. It's not funny enough to be a full-on parody, and it's not dramatic enough to be a full-on Trek show. It ends up as somewhat of a light-hearted dramedy, which is fine, but Seth MacFarlane's humor is too crass for it to work, and it clashes with the Trek aesthetic. All this beautiful sci-fi imagery (because the show does look beautiful) and they're making dikk and fart jokes. :francis:

And Seth MacFarlane needs to stop trying to make himself a leading man. It's not happening.

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The second episode was far better than the pilot(its getting a lot of praise, especially from the Trek community). Straight up something you would see on Next Generation with a couple of funny moments and a nice cliffhanger. Even has a nice intro. The humor definitely hit more as the episode went on, though I think many will miss the Kermit reference and the alcohol and weed stuff.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
yeah second episode was definitely better....reminded me of a voyager episode I watched the other day...practically the same premise

still wish it wasn't seth's goofy ass as the lead.

Jeffrey Lebowski

i'm the dude
Daps
Reppin
Based on the last couple posts I might give the second episode a shot. Still can't help but think this is fox trying to tap into the Big Bang Theory market

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Based on the last couple posts I might give the second episode a shot. Still can't help but think this is fox trying to tap into the Big Bang Theory market

They should. As much as people make fun of those CBS shows, they have consistently won their slots in the ratings. I imagine this will just get better and better. That lineup of directors :whoo:.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
I've never watched an episode of Star Trek in my life.

If I watch this I guess it's pointless bc I won't understand the jokes or spoofs

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
i have no faith in Seth Macfarlane's live action shows...they always suck....

caught my wife dvr'n it the other day...but she's a trekkie so....:manny:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I've never watched an episode of Star Trek in my life.

If I watch this I guess it's pointless bc I won't understand the jokes or spoofs
I never watched Star Trek either besides the most recent movies but I like this show

Its more of a dramedy than a spoof or straight up comedy but its ok so far

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I posted this in another thread but once you accept that this show is pretty terrible as a comedy but pretty good as a sci-fi adventure show it becomes more enjoyable.
Mcfarlane needs to go all in on making a true homage to TNG and ditch all the bad Family Guy style jokes that really don't work at all.