The only reason the Boondocks is funny is because Aaron grew up around all whites

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
The show is written from the point of view of an afrocentric elitist upper middle class Black dude. The types whose lives changed after reading Fanon and became convinced the Black community would drastically change if only we put the chief keef down and listen to lessons from the latest mos def album, if you went to college with these types that should have been clear from the jump. But it is funny and pretty accurate :manny:

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Season 1's "the passion of ruckus" was one of the great displays of satire I had ever seen in animation, if not television in general. I remember the first time it aired back when i was in college and i was like :ohhh: :pachaha::troll: at the wordplay he gave Ruckus (in his speeches) to mock any self-hating blacks ashamed of their own skin tone (by having Ruckus crudely spell it out and take it to straight biblical terms what such a mindset advocates), how he mocked the perception that whites are the heroic saviors/do-gooders (who need to be thanked for all they've done lol), mocked the legal system and the false imprisonments of blacks (Shabazz's backstory), and even threw shots at religion for good measure and how blind/quick people are to follow whatever bullshyt if its said a certain way by a certain person.

It hit the mark for me because I'd been around the type of black folks, white folks, and religious folks who gave off those type of vibes, and also of course thru observing american media and how whites (and blacks) are potrayed in general.

Huey appeals to me because as a kid i went through that angry/militant phase after reading malcolm x's autob and gettin caught up to the history of race relations in this country, so Huey being an extreme version of that was :russ: to me as well.

And we've all encountered the wannabe thug types that Riley and the rich white boy embody, esp for me having gone to a pretty diverse college where a lotta folks came in as freshmen tryna talk and dress a certain way (regardless of being black,white,brown, etc)... so while not all the episodes hit the mark for me, the ones that do had me like :obama: with the execution

devizelle

Pro
Daps
Reppin
MOCO awl day
^^ totally agree. When an episode was good... it was GOOD. But some things fell flat imo. I also wished there were more positive representations of black women on the show... but :yeshrug:

Random s/n: There were rumors a couple years ago that his girlfriend or wife or something was half white, half-asian or something. Just an interesting tidbit.

( )-___-)

Only Thriving
Daps
Reppin
Self
If we’ve been systematically oppressed than a outside view would mean what?