The Official Washington Wizards News & Notes Thread

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's all bullshyt

leonsis doesn’t want to pay for an arena or any upgrades. He been suggesting he wants to move the last five years unless DC pays up.

This is from 2016

Sports arenas do nothing long term for an areas economy. They could make that area an extension of City Centre and it would be better than the arena.

Nothing I said about crime and the backsliding of this area back to the 80s and 90s was a lie. You're probably right that Leonsis doesn't want to pay for any arena upgrades, but you forget that he cares a hell of a lot more about the "other" team that he owns than the Wizards. Guess what race a majority of those fans are? The huge rise in crime and lawlessness definitely has something to do with Chinatown (and other parts of DC close to the arena) losing restaurants and bars and the lack of activity in that area after games compared to a few years ago when crime was down and manageable. The radio host on 106.7 The Fan confirmed a story earlier today about how Leonsis wanted about 20-25 cops patrolling and guarding the arena, but were given only 3 cops total :snoop:

This move is more about the Caps in my opinion than the Wizards, it just so happens that they are a package deal. Like 90% of the Caps fan base lives in NOVA or Montgomery County. Those Caps fans that live in NOVA/Montgomery County are the same people that are scared to hang out in Chinatown before and after games. I bet you anything that a majority of Caps fans would love the move to Potomac Yards. It's only a few miles from Ballston where their practice facility is. Do you know where the Wizards practice facility is? It's literally in the hood in Congress Heights :scust:

Imagine trying to attract free agents, and they come to your practice facility in fukking Anacostia/Congress heights :scust::scust:

I've been to this facility before a few years ago for a music event, and the area around it is literally as hood as it gets. This was before things went to total shyt after the pandemic.

Last edited:

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
That's all bullshyt

leonsis doesn’t want to pay for an arena or any upgrades. He been suggesting he wants to move the last five years unless DC pays up.

This is from 2016

Sports arenas do nothing long term for an areas economy. They could make that area an extension of City Centre and it would be better than the arena.

It’s bigger than that, the Braves and Warriors proved you can make even more money by owning and/or controlling the real estate in and around the arena. This is the future where owners not just want the own the facilities, but to create entertainment/retail areas to make money even when they are no games on:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
You're probably right that Leonsis doesn't want to pay for any arena upgrades, but you forget that he cares a hell of a lot more about the "other" team that he owns than the Wizards.
This is a myth too. Leonsis cares about what makes him money. He originally bought into sports because he was going to be Wizarda majority owner one day. He is a hoops fan and has said that a lot. He was the one who brought Jordan to the Wizards. He only “cares more about the Caps” because he has one of the five greatest players in NHL history on his roster. In that period he didn't bring in big free agents until TJ Oshie and didn't bring in a serious coach until Trotz. And then be let Trotz go because he did not want to pay him.

Leonsis only interest is his sports book.

The radio host on 106.7 The Fan confirmed a story earlier today about how Leonsis wanted about 20-25 cops patrolling and guarding the arena, but were given only 3 cops total :snoop:
I'm not denying crime is an issue. My point is crime isn't the reason he is moving.

Nothing I said about crime and the backsliding of this area back to the 80s and 90s was a lie
When people say stuff like this, I have to wonder if you all really remember what that period was like and what was happening. There isn't a drug war going on.

The other crazy thing about this is Abe Pollin built that arena there when it was really bad. To move out is a betrayal to his legacy.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
It’s bigger than that, the Braves and Warriors proved you can make even more money by owning and/or controlling the real estate in and around the arena. This is the future where owners not just want the own the facilities, but to create entertainment/retail areas to make money even when they are no games on:

This makes a lot more sense. Blaming crime and talking about DC not coming up with enough never made sense to me.

Owning real estate does. The Lerners own all of that land around Nats Park but never did much with it. Leonsis probably saw an opportunity there and wanted it, along with setting his sports book up.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Just when I thought I couldn’t care less about the Wizards they up and move to fukking wack ass VA. R.I.P.

Leonsis never even bothered to change the wack ass team name after all these years either. Clown.

But in all seriousness, DC never truly cared about pro sports aside from the Redskins heyday. fukk it. At least they have the Nats & Commanders moving to RFK seems promising.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
:sas1:It means Black folks (along with others) will still go to the games at Potomac Yards but, the ni66as, BHI, Dustheads, Homeless, Nut-jobs and, the bad ass lil ni66as that constantly hang around Cap One/ Chinatown will not be within 1000 feet of the new spot. VA ain’t having none of that :sas2:
Imagine if :mjpls: was the owner

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Potomac Yard is only like 6 miles from DC. Might take 40 minutes with traffic but still :mjlol::mjgrin:

Leonsis has stated before that he had the worst stadium deal in the league. Can’t really say I blame him for bouncing. I’m sure there’s more space to make a more premier/luxury complex :ehh: