The Official Washington Wizards News & Notes Thread

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Between this and the Commanders possibly moving to Woodbridge; VA gon be a tourist destination real soon

I told my girl the only thing I don’t like about Richmond/VA is they have no NBA or NHL team. I don’t give a damn about football anymore, but VA would almost be perfect if they had pro sports teams.

Next time I’m up there I’ll link with you. I was knee deep in some p*ssy during your game a couple months back breh

br82186

Superstar
Daps
A couple of things...

1. Developers have had a hard on (pause) for turning that entire potomac yard area into offices and apartments
2. The airport is deadass next door
3. Richmond Highway traffic is already bad, that shyt will be on steroids if the arena plans happen
4. You have a plethora of apartments already there with more being built, how do you try and convince the people in the area that that is a good idea.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Y'all gotta stop these lies about Richmond and VA Beach breh.

as underdeveloped as VA Beach is from an urban planning perspective, there is no way it can compare to Nova. the oceanfront is :scust:
Northern Virginia aside from Alexandria is almost exclusively suburbia. Don't play this game, it's developed but it's suburbia, Richmond city is more urban than anywhere in NoVa, and Virginia Beach is developed in the same fashion as most of NoVa...

And locals don't go to The Strip (aka The Oceanfront). VB has jewels that most people would never see unless you're a resident...

ball15life

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The unknown
A couple of things...

1. Developers have had a hard on (pause) for turning that entire potomac yard area into offices and apartments
2. The airport is deadass next door
3. Richmond Highway traffic is already bad, that shyt will be on steroids if the arena plans happen
4. You have a plethora of apartments already there with more being built, how do you try and convince the people in the area that that is a good idea.

3 and 4 are big.

They're going to have to do something about route 1 towards 495 and 395.

The new metro station would probably tie into the arena so that would help with some traffic, but maybe all of this would help push them towards expanding the metro to the national harbor (much needed). Route 1 would probably have to be modified regardless

I think the Del Ray folks (across route 1 adjacent to Potomac Yard) are going to push back but they'll be ok

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Northern Virginia aside from Alexandria is almost exclusively suburbia. Don't play this game, it's developed but it's suburbia, Richmond city is more urban than anywhere in NoVa, and Virginia Beach is developed in the same fashion as most of NoVa...

And locals don't go to The Strip (aka The Oceanfront). VB has jewels that most people would never see unless you're a resident...
I think old town is just as urban as Richmond but overall, Richmond is way more urban than most of NOVA.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love

Even if you just constrained it to places you could get to via the metro ( Alexandria,Arlington,Tysons,Fairfax Co.) it's still a far better overall experience as dining,entertainment and accessibility compared to Virginia Beach.

Richmond is developed, but it's not a destination for people in the same manner than the DC Metro area is. You can't sell me on having to make the decision of driving to DC or North Carolina for pro sports..... i do get it being a destination for people who come from the middle of nowhere or stayed after college. count me out tho breh.

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Bowser’s team is leaking to the media now to say that DC did all they could to keep Monumental Sports in the city. She’s probably trying to get ahead of Ted Leonsis’ press conference with Glenn Youngkin in the morning.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Just terrible.

Please stop moving sports teams to fukking suburbs.

They wrecked DC sports moved the Caps and Wizards fukking Redskins called the wack ass Commanders now.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I don’t know the DMV enough to speculate but what does this mean for the black community in D.C?

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
I don’t know the DMV enough to speculate but what does this mean for the black community in D.C?

Black folk aren’t going to have the access to games like they have now. All those black people in NE DC and PG County gotta trek further out on a different metro line. You now got to go to the airport now.

Just terrible.

Please stop moving sports teams to fukking suburbs.

They wrecked DC sports moved the Caps and Wizards fukking Redskins called the wack ass Commanders now.

@FAH1223 so this is like a 20 min move?

am I getting this right because it's still damn near in DC. am I missing something?
It’s 5 miles away but you either got to drive on 395 towards the airport and then go to Route 1 but that area already can’t handle traffic to National Airport (DCA)!

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL

It’s not good at all. That part of town benefited so much when the arena moved there and opened in 1997. At that particular point in time, it was a huge risk to open an arena in downtown DC, considering the reputation for crime in that city. In the last few years (especially after the pandemic), the area has regressed, and lots of businesses like restaurants, bars and stores have either closed for good or moved out of the area. Crime has also exploded all over the city, including Chinatown/Gallery Place where the arena is located.

Mayor Bowser has been AWFUL in trying to curb crime and lawlessness in the city. I can’t believe she’s still mayor to be honest with you. This city is sliding back to the 80s and 90s with all the carjackings, robberies and shootings going on, even in nicer areas of town. The Wizards and Capitals leaving is just an ugly reminder of how far the city has fallen in the last few years, and unfortunately I don’t see a way it gets better.