The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Wasn’t that like a month ago?

Ppl don’t seem to understand exponential growth...

November was the first time we reached 1000 cases
In september we were at like 300 cases a day
December we reached 2,000

Now here we are today with 3,500 cases and 89 deaths in a single day :picard:

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
November was the first time we reached 1000 cases
In september we were at like 300 cases a day
December we reached 2,000

Now here we are today with 3,500 cases and 89 deaths in a single day :picard:
Lockdowns clearly ain’t doing shyt cuz ppl still chillin and going to Costco and Walmart like it’s nothing. Nothing is being done correctly. Nothing.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im in quebec(gatineau) and curfew after 8pm tomorrow smh
This country don’t know wtf it’s doing. It’s laughable haha. You got nikkas in Taiwan and Australia living regular life rn and we can’t figure out how to stop a virus in like the least population dense country in the world? Our leadership is trash. Shoulda shut down international travel from time but Trudeau was worried about the optics.

Malcolmxxx_23

Let's go panthers
Supporter
Daps
This country don’t know wtf it’s doing. It’s laughable haha. You got nikkas in Taiwan and Australia living regular life rn and we can’t figure out how to stop a virus in like the least population dense country in the world? Our leadership is trash. Shoulda shut down international travel from time but Trudeau was worried about the optics.
Kinda shows how 80 percent of the politicians,leaders in this country are really not qualified for their roles

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kinda shows how 80 percent of the politicians,leaders in this country are really not qualified for their roles
Word!! The shyt really got me thinking bout running for politics...legit. White ppl by and large are horrible critical thinkers on the level of government because they only know how to think about themselves

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
It's also on the citizens, we very reluctantly fall in line. We're very individualistic.

What would you propose that would yield better results? Aside from locking people indoors for a month by force (i.e China, Taiwan)

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's also on the citizens, we very reluctantly fall in line. We're very individualistic.

What would you propose that would yield better results? Aside from locking people indoors for a month by force (i.e China, Taiwan)
I would absolutely propose locking people indoors for a month by force. Those motherfukkers understand individual sacrifice for the collective good. We don’t, because of individualism, like you said. But people over here would think that’s too radical. Actually maybe that’s too radical for our populace. So no, I wouldn’t.

So if we take locking people in their houses off the table, then I would definitely shut down all non-essential travel between provinces and in/out of the country—that’s where I would start first. I would figure out a way to do aggressive contact tracing. I would set up quarantine spots (like hotels) dedicated to helping people quarantine safely rather than having them quarantine at home with their families spreading the virus. I would actually have my bylaw officers do something useful and station them around public parks, schools and in residential areas where people are gathering haphazardly. I would have set up an essential food delivery service (like maybe providing resources for food banks to go mobile) so people didn’t need to go to the grocery store as often, and I’d use locally grown meat and produce to help keep local food production afloat. And then to pay for all this, I’d institute a minuscule increase in taxes (like 0.1% increase) to gas, tobacco, cannabis, alcohol and general sales—nobody would even notice the difference like when your grapes are 3 cents more per pound during crop offseasons.

A big issue we have had on this side of the world is our failure to respond quickly despite having access to information that said that what we should do. We have politicians and medical experts making suggestions to a bunch of me-first people who don’t want to deal with the discomfort of disrupting their normal routines and relationships and also don’t want to feel like their lives are being dictated by others, so the suggestions don’t work. How many of us did our suggested readings in uni? Exactly. Humans need to be told to do things. And our government since the spring has been absolutely ineffective in doing that and setting up an infrastructure that would support people listening to what they’re told in a sustainable way that would minimize personal discomfort as much as we can given the situation we are in.

Auger

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
6ix
So if we take locking people in their houses off the table, then I would definitely shut down all non-essential travel between provinces and in/out of the country—that’s where I would start first. I would figure out a way to do aggressive contact tracing. I would set up quarantine spots (like hotels) dedicated to helping people quarantine safely rather than having them quarantine at home with their families spreading the virus. I would actually have my bylaw officers do something useful and station them around public parks, schools and in residential areas where people are gathering haphazardly. I would have set up an essential food delivery service (like maybe providing resources for food banks to go mobile) so people didn’t need to go to the grocery store as often, and I’d use locally grown meat and produce to help keep local food production afloat. And then to pay for all this, I’d institute a minuscule increase in taxes (like 0.1% increase) to gas, tobacco, cannabis, alcohol and general sales—nobody would even notice the difference like when your grapes are 3 cents more per pound during crop offseasons.
Those are all good ideas, but...

I think it would be really hard to control, track, and restrict inter-province travel outside of airplanes, with people traveling with cars, You'd get significant public push back.

The quarantine hot spots really do seem like a good idea, but on who's dime? yes you could waive taxes on hotel property owners, but the deficit will have to be made up somewhere.

And law enforcement have already been patrolling public areas (at least in peel), but I can't speak to it's efficacy.

I think contact tracing might have been the most effective solution, but that is entirely contingent on the public's willingness to adopt.

I personally think the children might have been asymptomatic carriers for the longest while, and the opening of schools kind of led to all this.

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Those are all good ideas, but...

I think it would be really hard to control, track, and restrict inter-province travel outside of airplanes, with people traveling with cars, You'd get significant public push back.

The quarantine hot spots really do seem like a good idea, but on who's dime? yes you could waive taxes on hotel property owners, but the deficit will have to be made up somewhere.

And law enforcement have already been patrolling public areas (at least in peel), but I can't speak to it's efficacy.

I think contact tracing might have been the most effective solution, but that is entirely contingent on the public's willingness to adopt.

I personally think the children might have been asymptomatic carriers for the longest while, and the opening of schools kind of led to all this.
You’re absolutely right that it would be hard to limit interprovincial travel but it’s possible—I believe that’s how they had it in the maritimes. I also think Australia was able to do it. But I don’t think the fact that it’ll be hard means we shouldn’t try it. Every country that has been successful in containing this virus have closed their borders and done aggressive contact tracing.

And I wouldn’t be concerned about public push back because the result would be we’d get back to normal and have people be able to work, open their business and see their loved ones sooner. This bend but don’t break approach is just extending the pain for many people.

Quarantine hot spots can work if you raise the taxes like I said. That’s not actually my idea, that’s what Trudeau is going to be doing here in Canada to help pay for CERB.

In fact, none of the ideas I proposed were my ideas, just things I’ve read that have been successful for other places in the world.

I do agree that kids are probably asymptomatic carriers. In fact, I’m almost certain of it. There was a case in my kid’s school and grade and...I’ve seen the classrooms, nobody is distancing or using masks properly, soooo it’s absolutely not possible for that kid to have not given it to anybody else.

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
I do agree that kids are probably asymptomatic carriers. In fact, I’m almost certain of it. There was a case in my kid’s school and grade and...I’ve seen the classrooms, nobody is distancing or using masks properly, soooo it’s absolutely not possible for that kid to have not given it to anybody else.

Same. They had a case at my kids school in Nov. But the school is actually really good at distancing, masks, handwashing. There's a whole schedule that they follow, and my kid's class size, grade 1, is only 16 kids.

They just announced online learning until end of Jan

I suspect online learning will stay in place until post march break

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Same. They had a case at my kids school in Nov. But the school is actually really good at distancing, masks, handwashing. There's a whole schedule that they follow, and my kid's class size, grade 1, is only 16 kids.

They just announced online learning until end of Jan

I suspect online learning will stay in place until post march break

My nieces and nephew are doing school virtually the amount of work they give the kids is :mindblown:

jdubnyce

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
t-dot till they bury me
My nieces and nephew are doing school virtually the amount of work they give the kids is :mindblown:
Breh, My 6 year old:
830-open Google meet
840-homeroom (math, language, comprehension) talking duotangs filled with worksheets
1010-10mins snack break
1020-dependiing on day, could be french, gym, computer typing until lunch
100-duotang assignments, spelling
230-creative stuff
330-dismissal with a list of things to do for the next day

:dwillhuh:. 6 years old :what: backpack heavier than my work bag :heh::beli:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Breh, My 6 year old:
830-open Google meet
840-homeroom (math, language, comprehension) talking duotangs filled with worksheets
1010-10mins snack break
1020-dependiing on day, could be french, gym, computer typing until lunch
100-duotang assignments, spelling
230-creative stuff
330-dismissal with a list of things to do for the next day

:dwillhuh:. 6 years old :what: backpack heavier than my work bag :heh::beli:

:heh:
I swear when I was in Gr one all we did is watch Disney vhs tapes , basic math and spelling and colour :mjlol: