The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While the drama was unfolding at East General, another civic project sponsored by Mr. Papathanasakis was rolling out across the city.

the-network-omg_media_landscape_lg.jpg

An OMG garbage bin, on Toronto’s Front Street, in 2003. TIBOR KOLLEY/THE GLOBE AND MAIL
In 1999, Toronto contracted a start-up advertising company, OMG Media, to erect large metal waste-and-recycling bins across the city. OMG supplied the bins for free, with a catch: They had to bear ads sold by OMG – which would keep 90 per cent of the revenue generated; the city would get the other 10 per cent, plus $15 a year per bin.

By mid-2000, there were nearly 1,200 such bins on city streets. And they got there, it seems, with support from Mr. Papathanasakis’s network.

He also let some associates in on a little secret: On paper, OMG’s owners were businessmen in nearby Vaughan ; but he told two people, who spoke to The Globe, that OMG was partly owned by people associated with the Montreal Mafia.

And in fact, in February, 2003, a year after Mr. Papathanasakis’s associates were forced out of East General, Quebec’s La Presse newspaper reported that a Montreal police officer had pulled over a Jeep Grand Cherokee registered to one OMG Media – and whose driver was none other than Vito Rizzuto, the leader of Canada’s Sicilian Mafia.

Because OMG had ad-bin contracts not only with Toronto but with Ottawa and Montreal, it suddenly appeared that three of Canada’s four largest cities had signed contracts with a company partially owned by the Mafia.

OMG – and Mr. Rizzuto himself – vehemently denied that the mobster had anything to do with the company. Neither was entirely forthcoming: Years later it would emerge in a court dispute between Revenue Canada and the Rizzuto family that Mr. Rizzuto’s wife, Giovanna, and their three children owned shares in OMG that they had sold for $1.6-million.

Last edited:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Caledon, a community of towns and villages northwest of Toronto, is a popular address for city dwellers building weekend getaways and for working families seeking a place to settle down within driving distance of nearby Brampton and Orangeville. But it is home to something else as well: one of the last refuges of unspoiled agricultural land in the Greater Toronto Area.

The site of sharp tussles between developers and residents determined to maintain Caledon’s pastoral appeal, it has on occasion also been a place of turmoil.

On May 23, 2008, John Morrison, husband of then-mayor Marolyn Morrison, noticed that his car was being followed by a black Cadillac Escalade. After pulling into the parking lot of the high school where he taught, Mr. Morrison was approached by two men wearing dark clothes and sunglasses.

“We would like to talk to you about your wife,” one of them said. The pair suggested they had embarrassing photographs of her.

the-network-morrison_landscape_lg.jpg

Marolyn Morrison, former mayor of Caledon, Ont. GLENN LOWSON/THE GLOBE AND MAIL
Mr. Morrison called their bluff: “Show me the pictures.” Neither man produced any.

Suddenly changing the subject, one of them said, “We want to develop, and your wife is holding us up and we need her to get the rest of council onside.”

The other man said the development in question was “in Inglewood,” the rural village of about 800 people where the Morrisons lived at the time. (It was a confusing remark, because, as both Morrisons would later testify in court, there weren’t any disputed housing developments in Inglewood.)

The men departed when a fellow teacher walked over to check in on Mr. Morrison. Once safely inside the school, Mr. Morrison called the police.

Then, 10 days later, in his own driveway, the mayor’s husband was struck on the head, and left bleeding on the ground, by an attacker who fled the scene. Based on Mr. Morrison’s description of the Escalade from the previous week – he had remembered part of its vanity licence plates – Ontario Provincial Police officers tracked down its driver, Vladimir Vranic.

An internal OPP report, dated July 30, 2008, and obtained by The Globe, states that Mr. Vranic, a resident of nearby Woodbridge at the time of the assault, “has known links to the Commisso organized crime family.”

Arrested by police, Mr. Vranic made no effort to dissuade them from thinking he had underworld ties. But he denied any part in the assault, claiming, according to an arrest report, “that ‘his group’ would not attack in such a ‘Mickey Mouse’ manner. They would ‘blow up a car’ or kidnap someone.”

the-network-vranic_landscape_lg.jpg

Vladimir Vranic, in a photo posted on Facebook in 2011.
Mr. Vranic, who had a criminal record for assault , eventually pleaded guilty to threatening Mr. Morrison.

In addition to the extra-legal threats made on Ms. Morrison’s husband, the council she headed soon found itself the object of a legal one. A few weeks after Mr. Vranic’s arrest, a company called Solmar Development Corp. sent a letter, warning that it was prepared to sue Caledon for $500-million. That threat came in the wake of a refusal by Ms. Morrison and her council to permit more population growth near the Caledon village of Bolton, where Solmar had proposed a development that could house 21,000 people – almost as many new citizens as Bolton was then home to.

(Solmar has denied that it had anything to do with Mr. Vranic’s threat or the attack on the mayor’s husband. The company has also pointed out that it has no connection to any developments in Inglewood, which is where Mr. Vranic and his associate said they were interested in developing.)

Ms. Morrison and her council colleagues felt so under siege – by both the violence and Solmar’s legal drumbeats – that they appealed to the provincial government to launch a public inquiry. In a July, 2008, letter to then-premier Dalton McGuinty, Ms. Morrison said that he had a duty to help her and her fellow councillors. The town’s planning decisions, she said, had been made to comply with Ontario’s growth plan, but the result had been “threats to personal safety and lawsuits.” She pleaded with the premier: “The province needs to take action.”

But the province turned her down in a letter that declined to address either the physical attack or the threatened litigation. (In response to questions from The Globe, Mr. McGuinty said that he had no recollection of Mayor Morrison’s request for an inquiry.)

In fact, though, at least one government agency had taken notice; and it was mobilizing. Later that month, the Ontario Provincial Police quietly launched a multipronged investigation into the troubles in Caledon. In court filings, the force described its probe as an examination of “alleged organized crime within the Town of Caledon.”

It was against this heated backdrop that, on Sept. 9, 2009, the phone rang at the home of one of Ms. Morrison’s close friends, a retired politician named Nancy Koehle.

Someone had enlisted the help of Mr. Papathanasakis and his vast network of contacts.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mr. Papathanasakis’s whereabouts have been the subject of some speculation in Greece, where he had owned a professional soccer team until its bankruptcy last year.

The team, named Iraklis, is based in the northern city of Thessaloniki and was purchased by Mr. Papathanasakis in 2014. At his introductory press conference, he was asked by local reporters there what he does for a living in Canada. He laughed and said, “My mother says she doesn’t know what I do.”

Since then, however, Greek reporters have been writing critically about his time at the helm of the Iraklis. The team’s financial woes, as well as its relegation to a less competitive league, have rendered Mr. Papathanasakis persona non grata with fans of the team. In a radio interview in Greece in January, a former administrator with Iraklis said he didn’t think Mr. Papathanasakis had “the courage to return” to the city.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Half a million dollars for a condo in friggin downsview, looks at previous selling price

The average Joe is lucky to even get a 10-15k raise in 7 years while friggin condo prices have doubled

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Half a million dollars for a condo in friggin downsview, looks at previous selling price

The average Joe is lucky to even get a 10-15k raise in 7 years while friggin condo prices have doubled
Was wondering how bad those new ones at Allen/Sheppard were going to skyrocket. Last I checked they were literally downtown condo prices lol.

That "close to TTC station" premium :ohlawd:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Was wondering how bad those new ones at Allen/Sheppard were going to skyrocket. Last I checked they were literally downtown condo prices lol.

That "close to TTC station" premium :ohlawd:

man even where I live condos in vaughan they were 250k when they were first being built now there 450

cant believe i didnt buy :to:

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
man even where I live condos in vaughan they were 250k when they were first being built now there 450

cant believe i didnt buy :to:
The new ones by hwy 7/Weston? Yeah man. Actually the other day my go station hit/killed a jumper so I took the TTC all the way to the new Vaughan station. I was like man anyone who bought these must have done well already. Walking distance.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
The new ones by hwy 7/Weston? Yeah man. Actually the other day my go station hit/killed a jumper so I took the TTC all the way to the new Vaughan station. I was like man anyone who bought these must have done well already. Walking distance.

yeah man they were 250 pre construction :to:., now a 1bdrm is renting for 1,800 :damn:

Whats funny there were other ones that were 250k pre construction near the subway and the builders cancelled :smugfavre: refunded all the buyers :heh:.

Vaughan condo cancelled, leaving 1,100 buyers in limbo

When Cosmos launched in 2016, it was selling units for about $540 per square foot,according to Urbanation. More recent projects launched in Vaughan were able to fetch more than $700 per square foot, close to a 30-per-cent increas