The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
not permanent

Canada took the unusual step last year of offering temporary refuge to an unlimited number of Ukrainians fleeing the war. Though they are not afforded the same status or supports as permanent refugees, they are allowed to work and study in Canada for up to three years, and can apply to extend their temporary stay.
Do we usually do that for refugees? Because I feel like we don't tbh

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Yikes, we're probably the only country doing this. I don't understand why he's being so extra because it doesn't even seem like a politcal move to get votes

Our Deputy PM is a Ukrainian nationalist; a lot of Canadians (more than 1 million) have Ukrainian ancestry and are very sentimental about this conflict.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Yikes, we're probably the only country doing this. I don't understand why he's being so extra because it doesn't even seem like a politcal move to get votes

ukrainian temp refugees can even stay permanently now if they have 1 family member in canada.

Starting from October 23, 2023, Ukrainians who have temporary resident status and one (or more) relatives in Canada will be able to obtain permanent residence. It should be noted that family members must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents

The detailed terms and conditions of the application will be announced before the program is launched. However, today it is already known that applications from families will be accepted until October 22, 2024, and participation in the program will be free of charge for Ukrainians.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
ukrainian temp refugees can even stay permanently now if they have 1 family member in canada.

Starting from October 23, 2023, Ukrainians who have temporary resident status and one (or more) relatives in Canada will be able to obtain permanent residence. It should be noted that family members must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
damn, so if @Nkrumah Was Right numbers are right, then there's going to be a whole lot of them becoming permanent residents :sadcam:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
it's been like that in Brampton and some areas of saugas. I think Tim Hortons in most of GTA and some in Toronto have a lot of those workers. Plus, they've taken over Wal-marts and some other franchises. Honestly, I think the key thing that happens is they look after one another. I think once there's a south asian manager, then they'll favour hiring one of their own.

I remember that viral video a couple of months ago of a white woman getting angry at Walmart about that
They do that at every job they get into. .it's nothing to admire. They eventually ruin work culture with nepotism and biased hiring practices. There will be a very heavy backlash in society for them. shyt will get ugly.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
They do that at every job they get into. .it's nothing to admire. They eventually ruin work culture with nepotism and biased hiring practices. There will be a very heavy backlash in society for them. shyt will get ugly.

they will soon takeover

1.4 billion folks in india and 99% of them want to come to canada

catskill247

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't lie I've had to bark on many indian people that don't know how to act right when shopping in Walmart. If my 2 excuse me's are ignored the cuss words come out or I'm moving your cart out the way.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Agreed, and they aren't shy to speak only in their language if they're in a group. In both school and work, I've experienced that many times.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The thing is there are more indians than really any other race on the world, and canada is literally the easiest country to immigrate to. All you need to do is be accepted into a diploma mill college or university, do your year or two and then get your PR. Then you sponsor mom and dad.

A lot of these indian brehs are international students have no real desire to integrate, assimilate or adapt to Canadian culture. They also have no real career ambitions or goals. They come here with the sole purpose of getting their PR and that’s it. They come to places like Surrey, BC and Brampton, ON where there is already huge pre-existing population of South Asians. This makes them think they don’t have no change their ways at all or improve their English since majority of the people speak Punjabi.

• The Canadian government counted more than 800,000 foreign students in Canada at the end of last year, a 31 percent increase over the previous year.

The government should set caps by countries

In 2022, according to an IRCC release [3], Asia and Africa continued to be the top sources of immigrants to Canada. Ranked by population of permanent residents, the following 10 countries sent the most immigrants to Canada:

118,000 indians last year just came through express entry pr, and thats not counting the other hundred of thousands that are international students
  1. India (118,095 immigrants)
  2. China (31,815 immigrants)
  3. Afghanistan (23,735 immigrants)
  4. Nigeria (22,085 immigrants)
  5. Philippines (22,070 immigrants)
  6. France (14,145 immigrants)
  7. Pakistan (11,585 immigrants)
  8. Iran (11,105 immigrants)
  9. United States of America (10,400 immigrants)
  10. Syria (8,500 immigrants)
100%. Say what you will about Quebec and I don’t agree with everything but over there it’s assimilate or get phased out. Everywhere else is the opposite. Allow people to come here and create their own country here. fukk all that. But we don’t have a strong enough culture to force people to assimilate. Then tue amount of fraud that is tolerated is insane. So many scams being run especially by that group on their own people especially. Indians exploiting other Indians while the Canadian gov exploits thrm.

We won’t set caps because we so desperately need people Because cost of living is so high that people aren’t having kids. We also have a huge aging population. Literally a mess that has been created by shyt government.

I do agree on more balanced immigration, how do you convince Lib government who has their heads so far up India’s ass?