The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I grew up poor and lived in govt housing during my childhood

That same housing stock is used today but it hasn’t been renovated fully since the 1980s

It’s a shame what’s happened in Ontario since the early 90s

naija nuh dey carry last :obama:

I also lived in government housing - willowridge then glendower and both look the same today :picard:

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
Well look at what we have here, and look at these comments, I love when they tell me about themselves :mjgrin:

These crackers always make everything about race, when it says dougy wants to attract more women who make up only 2%

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
Well look at what we have here, and look at these comments, I love when they tell me about themselves :mjgrin:

These crackers always make everything about race, when it says dougy wants to attract more women who make up only 2%

These PCs are very fascinating.

They’re just neoliberals eh - no cultural conservatism outside of the drop of the Writ
:mjlol:

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
My parents really struggled
:wow:

But we made it out. All the other boys who didn’t are drug addicts, formerly incarcerated, low income strugglers, or dead

welcome to canada

In 2022, comparing average weekly wages in Ontario, racialized men earned 90 cents and Black men earned 77 cents for every dollar white men earned.

Black workers are overrepresented in retail; accommodation and food; and arts and entertainment,

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

chow throwing them bows

Ottawa “is not paying a cent right now for refugee housing,” Chow told reporters in Scarborough after the first of her three “transition” meetings about housing, mental health and homelessness with a range of experts.

trudeau telling everyone to come to canada and doesn't even look after them

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps

chow throwing them bows

Ottawa “is not paying a cent right now for refugee housing,” Chow told reporters in Scarborough after the first of her three “transition” meetings about housing, mental health and homelessness with a range of experts.

trudeau telling everyone to come to canada and doesn't even look after them
Trudeau is pretty much a PR guy. He does everything for headlines. Like, the man donated billions to Ukraine, when Canada is currently facing a healthcare and housing crisis.

The man keeps on increasing the number of people coming into Canada with no solution to housing them or infrastructure to help them survive. I feel he just increases the number of immigrants for headlines. There should be programs to help them spread across Canada rather than the GTA where we can barely support its current population.

Also, he needs to find a way to make Canada an attractive country for corporations to set up shop. Canada is lagging behind most major countries in technology and innovation. Since, we don't have a startup culture we really should be pushing programs or get corporations to set up shop here.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
welcome to canada

In 2022, comparing average weekly wages in Ontario, racialized men earned 90 cents and Black men earned 77 cents for every dollar white men earned.

Black workers are overrepresented in retail; accommodation and food; and arts and entertainment,

It’s tough for black men, school wise.

We’re bullied by racist teachers, we have to battle hip hop fueled self-destructive machismo, we’re funnelled into college/lower tiered classes or into useless athletics (useless for 99% of us), and society constantly tells us we’re trash.

I credit my parents for the following:
  • Getting us out of government housing;
  • Constantly reinforcing in us ethnic pride and knowledge of our traditions (as Igbos);
  • Breathing down our necks for excelling at school and telling us university was the only answer;
  • Restricting our fashion to help us avoid additional racist scrutiny;
  • Teaching us to love the sciences and literature;
  • Surrounding us with a community of role models within our ethnic community;
  • Constantly reminding us that we live in a terribly racist society and we had to be better than cacs;
  • Staying together and boosting our family gdp per capita

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
Trudeau is pretty much a PR guy. He does everything for headlines. Like, the man donated billions to Ukraine, when Canada is currently facing a healthcare and housing crisis.

The man keeps on increasing the number of people coming into Canada with no solution to housing them or infrastructure to help them survive. I feel he just increases the number of immigrants for headlines. There should be programs to help them spread across Canada rather than the GTA where we can barely support its current population.

Also, he needs to find a way to make Canada an attractive country for corporations to set up shop. Canada is lagging behind most major countries in technology and innovation. Since, we don't have a startup culture we really should be pushing programs or get corporations to set up shop here.

The federal government is not willing to resurrect pre Mulroney/Chretien programs for housing development/social housing because….they’re neoliberals.

Just like the federal Conservatives and the provincial Progressive Conservatives.

:jbhmm:

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
also includes single individuals who make under 32k

11 million Canadians whose household income is $38,000 or less, and individuals who make $32,000 or less

its crazy when you think of it there are 31 million canadians over 18 and out of those 31 million 11 million are eligible for this
how the hell are they suriving

No clue. The 11 million is either total BS or people are struggling way way way worse than I thought.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The federal government is not willing to resurrect pre Mulroney/Chretien programs for housing development/social housing because….they’re neoliberals.

Just like the federal Conservatives and the provincial Progressive Conservatives.

:jbhmm:

shyt. Even if they do, it would take 30 years to actually impact the housing market. This generation and maybe the next are already fukked no matter what any level of government does. Sad.

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Daps
shyt. Even if they do, it would take 30 years to actually impact the housing market. This generation and maybe the next are already fukked no matter what any level of government does. Sad.

Entirely. We’d need a miracle to build 1 million houses in a decade, given our house construction practices across Canada.

I can see some young Canadians looking to exit Canada; couple up earlier to start saving on a dual income; putting more pressure on high paying professions like law, medicine, engineering.

Not looking good for black people. I say get your money up and move out West.

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:whoa:

I get what you're saying but every single initiative this government has taken to grow the economy in specific sectors (tech, green energy) has been a giant failure and a ridiculous waste of money. The only real way to attract international capital is through talent (we have, for now - cost of living is a problem and is going to be a bigger problem going forward) and competitive tax environments (we don't have).

Food Mane

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Entirely. We’d need a miracle to build 1 million houses in a decade, given our house construction practices across Canada.

I can see some young Canadians looking to exit Canada; couple up earlier to start saving on a dual income; putting more pressure on high paying professions like law, medicine, engineering.

Not looking good for black people. I say get your money up and move out West.

I built a house a few years ago. Love it. Dream home. That said, it was fukking expensive. The municipality probably added 100k to the total costs. It was 48k alone to get plans approved and a building permit.