The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

Nkrumah Was Right

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Government killing high speed rail plans really screwed us over for many generations. Plus, you can't really think of many successful Canadian corporations and even businesses that aren't telecom or big bank. I think we really screwed up on that aspect because we dont really have Canadian companies building shop outside of GTA to help spread out the population.

Plus mining. Lots and lots of money in that. Fuels Bay Street.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

Rip homie :to:
Only 15 a great kid. May the Lord welcome you in heaven till we meet again

Duke Wy Lin

It's been a good run. Wish y'all the best ✊🏿
Daps
This seems like an interesting book for y'all Canadian brehs.

Found this good review by a journalist I follow on Goodreads
As a Canadian who has lived most of my adult life in the United States, I am aware that Americans eyes immediately glaze over when they see the word "Canada" anywhere in print. Putting aside this gross prejudice (the last acceptable racism really) there are a few things happening that Americans should pay attention to north of the border because its going to affect them too. Canada is going through a historic demographic transformation, and it’s happening very, very fast. The popular image of a largely white, exurban country is already totally out of date. Canada is rapidly urbanizing, aging, and browning, as birthrates plummet and large numbers of immigrants arrive annually in the suburbs of Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and Calgary. Rural areas, as well as entire massive provinces of Eastern Canada, are meanwhile going through a demographic collapse that is likely to lead to a future political crisis, as young people stop having children, flock to the major cities, and no immigrants arrive in those quiet regions to replace them. This same urban-exurban divide is being replicated across the West to varying degrees.

Canada in 2050 is going to be something unlike the world has yet seen: A two-ocean power with a fully globalized population. Unlike other Western countries, there is little nativist backlash to high-rates of annual immigration since all political parties long ago embraced it as an economic necessity. Immigration has even become an authentic part of Canada's identity. The historic Anglo-French divide created a complex enough national self-image that most people don't feel mortally threatened by new shifts in national culture. Every year ,Canada brings in hundreds of thousands of new high-skilled immigrants from anywhere in the world that is willing to send them, as birthrates for existing Canadians remain below-replacement. Canada is already rapidly on the way to becoming a country in which Asians and Africans compromise strong pluralities with equal claim on national identity as the original European settlers. In the near future, people who look like me will be considered quintessential Canadian natives, as waves of new immigrants arrive from exotic locales. I can already see this happening in the immigrant-heavy suburbs where I grew up.

This book is intended to give businesspeople a bit of a window into what Canada is going to look like, and how they should position themselves in response with the stuff they’re selling. That’s important, especially if you’re an investor, but there’s a bigger story here. The same trends of urbanization, cultural diversification, female empowerment manifesting in low-birthrates, and aging populations are relevant to every Western country. China and Japan are also aging but they may not even survive demographic collapse since they've already decided that death is better than diversity. The West, meanwhile, is likely to be headed into a new Golden Era as waves of new immigrants inject dynamism and energy into the culture and economy. Over time these newcomers will themselves be shaped by existing traditions and patterns of life as previous immigrants have.

Canada is turning into a country that consists of a few exciting global cities, surrounded by vast empty lands suitable for farming and resource exploration. It's growing fast every year through immigration, but also aging as generations which did not procreate much enter their senescence. There is a lot to be excited about since most Canadians and their leaders have clearly decided to take the plunge into the unknown future, rather than cling onto nostalgia for a diminishing past. It’s going to be good, including for old-stock Canadians. Believe it or not, after a long history of irrelevance, there's good reason to think that Canada, a populous, diverse, resource-rich, and urban country, really might become one of the most important places in the world.

Duke Wy Lin

It's been a good run. Wish y'all the best ✊🏿
Daps
Is Toronto really as bad as y'all make it seem in this thread? All I'm seeing is murder :picard:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
They need to start new towns and cities like they do in china, just put government buildings there like how vegraville had in the past

China can build relatively quickly. Here thry spend 10 years on a study, then scrap everything and start over. Our infrastructure is horse shyt. Toronto is extremely spread out and that’s the biggest problem, thry built all these suburbs but didn’t build train stations. We said why spend money building subway lines when we can just use buses?

Phitz

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
China can build relatively quickly. Here thry spend 10 years on a study, then scrap everything and start over. Our infrastructure is horse shyt. Toronto is extremely spread out and that’s the biggest problem, thry built all these suburbs but didn’t build train stations. We said why spend money building subway lines when we can just use buses?

They road designs are awful for traffic flow(so are the neighborhoods)

You're right they will talk and study something and do nothing. That's why I'm glad I left TO long ago. It's a horrible place to live.

What grinded my gears is I was talking to a friend from Syria, he said they settled the refugees in New Brunswick and some of their friends and family members were saying "come here(GTA), it's better, more things to do" I was like:snoop: They had a chance to take over their section of New Brunswick in 10 years and have an established community at lower cost of living. Somebody needs to educate the new immigrants. People who have been there know better and tryin to escape.

SwizzLake

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

They're doing a better job on building communities around the new Eglinton new light railway, especially around Don Mills and Eglinton.