The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Unsure what we even can do about the increase of violence all over Toronto and the GTA. I do wonder if something like a PSA with Raptors players and Drake providing a message to put guns down will do anything. I do feel our laws do encourage this behaviour because the justice system is pretty light if you do crimes here, so it's kind of a revolving door. However, I don't even think we can say its a wealth gap issue in some of these cases because some of these guys are coming from decent homes and whatnot.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m headed to Toronto next week with my bros. They are all in their 20s. Anybody have good suggestions of where to take them to have fun in both the day and night? This thread is over 1000 pages and would take awhile to dig through.

Prynce

Daps

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Unsure what we even can do about the increase of violence all over Toronto and the GTA. I do wonder if something like a PSA with Raptors players and Drake providing a message to put guns down will do anything. I do feel our laws do encourage this behaviour because the justice system is pretty light if you do crimes here, so it's kind of a revolving door. However, I don't even think we can say its a wealth gap issue in some of these cases because some of these guys are coming from decent homes and whatnot.

nothing to be honest, they have reprobate minds

Prynce

Daps
Sad enough they killed the brother of KBW’s imam…

But to then blaze up a janazah full of elderly?

Our community’s been finished for awhile…and this just further emphasizes that point.
That imam gave me my shahada the day before his brother was killed and I went to the funeral to show respect. Then the shooting happened

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps

We need black leadership and role models for one. Most of the visibly successful blacknmen in this city are athletes from the US. We need to an ability to have our own role models and story tellers. When is the last time you saw a TV show or movie that focuses on black people in Toronto or the GTA? If you did was it violent? We have nobody that tells our story so that we feel a sense of pride, accomplishment, and achievement. Real talk. We're extremely underrepresented in the media unless it comes to sports or music. We also need jobs. Good paying jobs. Jobs that attract young men instead of selling dope. And we need lower rent, or better access to mortgage funds. We live check to check or month to month, doing what we need to make ends meet today, instead of playing the long game... This is all by design, and this city is only gentrifying at an alarmingly fast rate. Forcing certain people into very specific neighborhoods. We're fukked for the foreseeable future.

Jefferson Jackson

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
The Wave Rider
ti-laughing.gif

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
We need black leadership and role models for one. Most of the visibly successful blacknmen in this city are athletes from the US. We need to an ability to have our own role models and story tellers. When is the last time you saw a TV show or movie that focuses on black people in Toronto or the GTA? If you did was it violent? We have nobody that tells our story so that we feel a sense of pride, accomplishment, and achievement. Real talk. We're extremely underrepresented in the media unless it comes to sports or music. We also need jobs. Good paying jobs. Jobs that attract young men instead of selling dope. And we need lower rent, or better access to mortgage funds. We live check to check or month to month, doing what we need to make ends meet today, instead of playing the long game... This is all by design, and this city is only gentrifying at an alarmingly fast rate. Forcing certain people into very specific neighborhoods. We're fukked for the foreseeable future.

Yeah it's only going to get worse. Even a community like Jane and Finch once the LTR starts running rents will rise dramatically, they are already bringing in condos around there and folks will be pushed out .

Black people really have no power in Toronto, there is one black councillor in toronto and a few black cops, I've never seen a black toronto firefighter. I work for one of the biggest hospital networks in the city and out of around 300 leaders (managers/directors/vps) there is around 5 out of 300. There is one black director and above and she's the inclusivity director

that's why I never gave a damn about that crooked ass lgbtq BLM in canada etc.. black Folks ready to march for blm, ready to march for that nigerian sars, ready to windup and dance for caribana. But silence as 40-60 young black men get merked every year.

I remember even years ago you could bring a g un to the cops and get a giftcard for henrys no question asked, now cops dont even care go ahead and kill yourself nikkaz

We have the highest poverty rate, worst jobs, live in the worst areas and it's the same in the UK, same in the US

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Too bad it didn't give him an allergic reaction and send him to the same underfunded hospitals he expects the rest of us to rely on

interesting i googled

What would happen if you swallowed a live bee?

Well, assuming you swallow without chewing, there’s a good chance your mouth or esophagus will be stung. However, if the poor bee doesn’t sting you, your stomach acid would kill it off pretty quickly.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
I've said this before, but another problem is our lack of black universities or even fraternities. We have nobody pushing us to achieve greatness from within. We are forced to look south to our American cousins and often over compensate due to feeling inferior, when in actuality, we're pretty much the same. But there less and less examples of black excellence in this country to look up to. And if I say this in a mainstream setting, I'll get called out for making it only about black people...Thats another issue here. We try to talk about issues within the black community, and it turns into "why does everything have to be color". When we don't talk about it, they look at us and tell us to handle the issues amongst our people. Its a sham and a shame...

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I feel like Brandon Gonez who used to be on CP24 is doing good work. He's like one of the few Canadian black men in the media to flip the script and launch a platform. I do agree we need more stuff like that because we're very underrepresented in the media and most representation is usually in a negative light.