The Official Toronto Discussion Thread

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/affordability-canada-1.6034606

Vancouver, Toronto and Hamilton are, according to new research, the least affordable cities in North America.

Vancouver was the least affordable city, with Toronto in second place and Hamilton in third. All three are more expensive places to live than New York and L.A.

The report, from Oxford Economics, published on Tuesday, said homes in Canada are 34 per cent more expensive than the median-income household could afford.

affordability.jpg
is our real esate network responsible for this? I ask cause I keep hearing the issue about bidding wars in toronto and how they can sometimes be shady and under the table.

Miami, MTL and New York being cheaper than us definitely a surprise to me tho:ohhh:

A dude I knew from Brampton up and moved to Brooklyn over a year ago with a media business he started and he seems to be doing well:ld:

I truly am lost on how Toronto is this expensive. I get that we glowed up in the past few years in travel and tourism, but a pandemmy hit and its like we're unphased in the housing department

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
also voted for him but we can't forget how horrible wynne was :picard:

Why the fukk did you guys vote for this guy though? He had a zero platform other then buck a beer and not teaching kids about sex in grade school. His whole campaign was a sexist rampage against Kathleen Wynn. He was Trump lite. How could you guys not have seen the grift?

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Why the fukk did you guys vote for this guy though? He had a zero platform other then buck a beer and not teaching kids about sex in grade school. His whole campaign was a sexist rampage against Kathleen Wynn. He was Trump lite. How could you guys not have seen the grift?
That’s the part that always gets me. Doug Ford had no platform, he’s not charismatic or attractive, smart or a good speaker. He was an awful candidate from day one.

I also won’t buy into the narrative that Wynne was that bad. The media painted the narrative that way but the facts don’t seem to align for me. I mostly think that if Wynne were a heterosexual man that wasn’t pro early sex ed she woulda won again. To be fair though, once she knew she was gonna lose she did have a pretty public meltdown (ex. sorry not sorry etc.) which wasn’t a good look.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
That’s the part that always gets me. Doug Ford had no platform, he’s not charismatic or attractive, smart or a good speaker. He was an awful candidate from day one.

I also won’t buy into the narrative that Wynne was that bad. The media painted the narrative that way but the facts don’t seem to align for me. I mostly think that if Wynne were a heterosexual man that wasn’t pro early sex ed she woulda won again. To be fair though, once she knew she was gonna lose she did have a pretty public meltdown (ex. sorry not sorry etc.) which wasn’t a good look.

Trump really fukked a lot of peoples heads up. This guy wanted to be Trump so bad. This whole province is heading to a bad place. Let us not forget that Faith Goldy came third in a mayoral race when she was banned from all debates and speaking events. People voted for a woman associated with white supremacy. People don't know it, but they are leaning towards fascism...

Guess Who

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trump really fukked a lot of peoples heads up. This guy wanted to be Trump so bad. This whole province is heading to a bad place. Let us not forget that Faith Goldy came third in a mayoral race when she was banned from all debates and speaking events. People voted for a woman associated with white supremacy. People don't know it, but they are leaning towards fascism...
Forgot all about Faith Goldy but you’re right.

I think what we need to understand is that Canada and Toronto is a very socially conservative place. Among young people that’s not the case but outside of the 30 and under demographic, it’s socially conservative here, particularly among older white people and immigrants. With older white folks, they want to hold onto the last vestiges of traditional white supremacy and patriarchy whereas immigrants values are rooted in their religious beliefs. You add that all up and I can see how Doug Ford won. The issue though, is people are voting with their values and not their heads—that is to say, with Doug Ford, white people voted for white supremacy and good ol’ boyism whereas immigrants were voting for patriarchy and anti-queerness. But nobody was thinking about the big picture of what it is to have a leader who while they share similar values to you, isn’t smart and is a shytty leader overall. And that’s how we ended up in this mess (and previous messes like the teacher’s strike).

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Forgot all about Faith Goldy but you’re right.

I think what we need to understand is that Canada and Toronto is a very socially conservative place. Among young people that’s not the case but outside of the 30 and under demographic, it’s socially conservative here, particularly among older white people and immigrants. With older white folks, they want to hold onto the last vestiges of traditional white supremacy and patriarchy whereas immigrants values are rooted in their religious beliefs. You add that all up and I can see how Doug Ford won. The issue though, is people are voting with their values and not their heads—that is to say, with Doug Ford, white people voted for white supremacy and good ol’ boyism whereas immigrants were voting for patriarchy and anti-queerness. But nobody was thinking about the big picture of what it is to have a leader who while they share similar values to you, isn’t smart and is a shytty leader overall. And that’s how we ended up in this mess (and previous messes like the teacher’s strike).

Older Immigrants who came when Pierre Elliot was PM vote liberal though, my grandma always votes liberal because of Pierre Elliott
But yeah as for me I vote conservative :hubie:. But again the way the system is set up it doesn't matter anyways :yeshrug: if you live in a liberal, conservative, ndp stronghold your vote doesn't mean jack.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
The scary thing is Ford can win again, I don't even know who the hell the liberal leader is.

Edit just googled steven del duca this guy couldn't even win woodbridge :mjlol:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn’t vote for Doug, but he is not Trump breh. He campaigned like a populist with some social conservative leanings, but it’s apples and oranges. Hes also governed and talked a lot more like a Liberal premier since the Federal Liberals swept the GTA.

My issue with him is his incompetence and obvious lack of leadership, but I don’t think he’s a racist. Ontario would be in a better place today if Patrick Brown never got bushed by CTV.

As for Faith Goldy angle she got 25k votes breh, not really reflective of anything. Turnout for municipal elections is also super low, only 41% in 2018. Immigrants can lean Conservative depending on election/issue but we won’t see anything that looks like an extreme candidate succeed, given first past the post, and major barriers to entry for candidates without party endorsement.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
this pandemic has seen more people i know vacate this city and province than any singular time i can recall.

I kee thinking about this and if Toronto really is more expensive than the likes of New York than what the hell am I really doing?

I don’t even really like being in Toronto if I’m being completely honest

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I kee thinking about this and if Toronto really is more expensive than the likes of New York than what the hell am I really doing?

I don’t even really like being in Toronto if I’m being completely honest
I was here because I grew up here and went to school here but at some point I realized that a lot of the new immigration was from people in middle upper class brackets the last few years. compared to growing up here where it was really mixed backgrounds and incomes. they can afford this city.

whatever cultural strides this city was making in the last decade will be erased very swiftly given the fact that the people who made them can't afford to live here :heh: