The Official "The Affair" Thread

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Beyond that though, I was referring to episode one. I know how rashomon story telling works, I just felt like compared to season 2 it was too exaggerated for that particular scene seeing as both of them were sober and there was another character present during the mediation.

It just felt like seasons 1 scenes using this were more subtle and understated and this one just bluntly hit you over the head with it. It felt like they read some criticism of season 1s scenes not being different enough and went wildly in the other direction.

It just felt like it was purposely exaggerated for the ADD part of the audience who want more radical differences.

Its a creative choice and it can be explained rationally yes, I just hope it isnt indicative of what the whole season will be like.

Just my opinion. Like I said I still liked the first episode:yeshrug:

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Beyond that though, I was referring to episode one. I know how rashomon story telling works, I just felt like compared to season 2 it was too exaggerated for that particular scene seeing as both of them were sober and there was another character present during the mediation.

It just felt like seasons 1 scenes using this were more subtle and understated and this one just bluntly hit you over the head with it. It felt like they read some criticism of season 1s scenes not being different enough and went wildly in the other direction.

It just felt like it was purposely exaggerated for the ADD part of the audience who want more radical differences.

Its a creative choice and it can be explained rationally yes, I just hope it isnt indicative of what the whole season will be like.

Just my opinion. Like I said I still liked the first episode:yeshrug:
I didn't pick that up. I picked up something that you guys probably didn't see. The reason why it's so exaggerated and so blatant this season is because the character dynamics, and the relationships DEMAND it.

Going from Alison to Noah in Season 1. Two strangers, who are attracted to eachother. No baggage. No history. No hate.

In this season, they involve people who have reasons to be extra bias toward eachother. There's hate there, and regrets, and pain. The relationships involved in these flash backs are way more powerful than newly found strangers who are hooking up.

The only way to show the distance and destruction of the relationships between Alison and Cole and Noah and Helen is to be that blatant. That obvious. Because that's what true disdain is. It's upfront. The pain and emotions and biases are clear as day.

That's what I got from it.

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Finally got around to watching the 1st episode and it mostly reinforced why feelings about the show :francis:. I'll give it one more episode, but I don't this show is for me as I find most of the characters insufferable and the murder mystery not compelling enough.

Noah getting a bloody nose by his son though :mjlol:

Bless't

Living the dream
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Finally got around to watching the 1st episode and it mostly reinforced why feelings about the show :francis:. I'll give it one more episode, but I don't this show is for me as I find most of the characters insufferable and the murder mystery not compelling enough.

Noah getting a bloody nose by his son though :mjlol:

I hear ya. It's not for everyone.

Me being the CAC I am, it strikes a nerve. But I understand.

To each their own breh.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
I didn't pick that up. I picked up something that you guys probably didn't see. The reason why it's so exaggerated and so blatant this season is because the character dynamics, and the relationships DEMAND it.

Going from Alison to Noah in Season 1. Two strangers, who are attracted to eachother. No baggage. No history. No hate.

In this season, they involve people who have reasons to be extra bias toward eachother. There's hate there, and regrets, and pain. The relationships involved in these flash backs are way more powerful than newly found strangers who are hooking up.

The only way to show the distance and destruction of the relationships between Alison and Cole and Noah and Helen is to be that blatant. That obvious. Because that's what true disdain is. It's upfront. The pain and emotions and biases are clear as day.

That's what I got from it.
Like I said,it can be explained. And you've hit on the reasons finely.

First season however portrayed it more realistically. It was really showing how a scene can be seen from different perspectives.

This season is more over the top and has become metaphorical instead.

Which is fine,its just kind of jarring to jump from the smaller subtlety of s1 to this. I personally don't feel they needed to be this obvious.

But its a creative choice that they made and it is what it is.

We'll see how it plays out.