The Official Sports Card Discussion Thread

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
2017 Mahomes Optic Holos were sub $700 in January, right after he won the AFC CG and before he played in the SB.

They're going for over $5k now...

Everything Mahomes straight booming. To be fair, entire hobby is booming, but I think a lot of it is wildly unsustainable. I think Mahomes IS sustainable, however. This dude has legit GOAT potential. But he's already priced out for 95% of collectors...

I don't know what to buy anymore. Everything is ridiculously expensive, and becoming more and more so with each day. Wild times.

I think we have 2-3 years of continuing rise in pricing and valuations. After that, I think this current junk wax era we're in might catch up...russ

I mean, there's like over 10k graded Luka Prizm base and over 5k graded Luka Prizm silver. Unless he's LeBron or Jordan, these prices are unfathomable for fairly common and not in the least short printed cards.

Not to mention there's just an insane number of sets for NBA and NFL. Every goddamn player has sooooo many RPAs now. So many autos. Several chrome/silver finished sets. So many non-numbered cards that are valued at 4 figures.

Unsustainable, imo

For now, the massive influx of interest in the hobby thanks to Luka and Zion and Mahomes is great. Jordan documentary and unfortunately Kobe passing also brought a lot of people into the memorabilia/trading card world. Not to mention the hypebeasts who used to lineup and use bots for sneakers to flip and camp outside Supreme seem to be getting into cards as well.

IM trying to cop Luka,Zion RCs in the lesser panini sets that have lower pop...Threads,Chronicles,Donruss etc...

I would spend some money to cop Holos if i knew what the future forecast was...Im afraid of dropping 5racks on a card esp a newer card that has very high pop.Im with you i think the bubble will pop within 2 years its not a good idea to overspend on anything thats already high right now.Youll be stuck with it...

Those that pulled the Luka cards or bought em cheap in 2018 and cashed out right now WON the game,those buying them at 5-6k right now might get caught with there pants down.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
IM trying to cop Luka,Zion RCs in the lesser panini sets that have lower pop...Threads,Chronicles,Donruss etc...

I would spend some money to cop Holos if i knew what the future forecast was...Im afraid of dropping 5racks on a card esp a newer card that has very high pop.Im with you i think the bubble will pop within 2 years its not a good idea to overspend on anything thats already high right now.Youll be stuck with it...

Those that pulled the Luka cards or bought em cheap in 2018 and cashed out right now WON the game,those buying them at 5-6k right now might get caught with there pants down.
Optic Holos are a pretty good buy, imo

They’re MUCH much much more SP than silver prizm. By a large amount. There’s less than 500 Luka Optic holo subs to PSA, and only 208 have Gem Mint’d. So there’s really not a whole lot of them out there.

It’s a beautiful, simple design card. Has silver finish. Everyone knows it’s SP compared to the mass produced Donruss/Prizm/Hoops. Has the classic “Rated Rookie” design to keep that nostalgia factor.

Optic Holos for any player in NFL or NBA is the way to go, imo. Problem is that everybody realized this a little less than a year ago and now they’re priced around silver prizm range. But they’re still much much much more limited than silver prizm and, in my opinion, look drastically better...

Optic Holos are one of the few cards I have almost no concerns about in the long term.

I think the base bubble definitely collapses. For anyone 2018 and beyond.

Best way to collect, assuming you’re buying for the flip, is numbered, SSP, or team color. Been trying to buy more Luka Blue anything, but obviously prices are ridiculous.

Chronicles is a fantastic set.

And yeah, I really don’t know what to say about people paying $5k for optic Holos, 1k for prizm base, 5k for prizm silver. Zion NT RPA going for 100k...

Every player who plays 20+ mins a game being valued like he’s a future 5x All Star. Every young All Star being valued like he’s a future 2-3x MVP and champion.

I think Mahomes is a lock to stay expensive and has a very high floor for almost all of his RCs. I think Luka has a pretty high floor, barring any unforeseen fall off. Because Luka has a unique allure :mjpls: he still has about 3-4 years of not producing in the playoffs before people start to doubt him and his pricing comes down, imo. Especially if he keeps putting up Westbrook numbers.

Zion hype train will continue for a couple years at least. But he came out of the gate massively overvalued so unless he turns into Giannis/Luka level impact (top 5 MVP candidate), I think a lot of people will be losing money. Zion isn’t a ballhandler the way every high valued modern guy is. Not sure if he can be your number 1 option. But he’s valued like he’s baby LeBron... We shall see

If guys like Booker and Lillard, and even a champion like Kyrie, are pretty cheap to get because their hype has run out, it’s pretty damn concerning for all the 18-19 and 19-20 guys that people are dumping racks into...

Last edited:

Miggs

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.O.
IM not upset i missed out on Luka because at that time i was brand new to the hobby and i just didnt know yet,but i am upset i missed out on Mahomes...I nhad mutliple chances to cop his Optic stuff dirt cheap early last year and passed on it...I remember those auctions those holos going for a few hundred.I never saw it coming.

I did get in on the Lamar Jackson hype,i really thought he was gonna be the GOAT...I completely whiffed on the Mahomes hype and now those cards are 3-4k USD they are not attainable or good investments for me anymore...

Thing is now you cant buy anything cheap anymore and get in on it before explodes,everything is high now relatively speaking...I paid $125 for that Nate Pearson refractor and he hasnt made a single start in the majors yet...

Luis Roberts bowman drafts already sitting at 500.00..The days of getting those cards for 50.00 before the hype is over...The game changed alot in the last 9 months,now ur gonna have to spend hundreds in the hopes of getting back thousands.

Last edited:

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
IM not upset i missed out on Luka because at that time i was brand new to the hobby and i just didnt know yet,but i am upset i missed out on Mahomes...I nhad mutliple chances to cop his Optic stuff dirt cheap early last year and passed on it...I remember those auctions those holos going for a few hundred.I never saw it coming.

I did get in on the Lamar Jackson hype,i really thought he was gonna be the GOAT...I completely whiffed on the Mahomes hype and now those cards are 3-4k USD they are not attainable or good investments for me anymore...

Thing is now you cant buy anything cheap anymore and get in on it before explodes,everything is high now relatively speaking...I paid $125 for that Nate Pearson refractor and he hasnt made a single start in the majors yet...

Luis Roberts bowman drafts already sitting at 500.00..The days of getting those cards for 50.00 before the hype is over...
Nobody saw this coming, man. It's unprecedented. There were occasional surges but usually it was a slow burn over time for prices to increase. Now it happens after one week and it's for EVERYBODY.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Optic Holos are a pretty good buy, imo

They’re MUCH much much more SP than silver prizm. By a large amount. There’s less than 500 Luka Optic holo subs to PSA, and only 208 have Gem Mint’d. So there’s really not a whole lot of them out there.

It’s a beautiful, simple design card. Has silver finish. Everyone knows it’s SP compared to the mass produced Donruss/Prizm/Hoops. Has the classic “Rated Rookie” design to keep that nostalgia factor.

Optic Holos for any player in NFL or NBA is the way to go, imo. Problem is that everybody realized this a little less than a year ago and now they’re priced around silver prizm range. But they’re still much much much more limited than silver prizm and, in my opinion, look drastically better...

Optic Holos are one of the few cards I have almost no concerns about in the long term.

I think the base bubble definitely collapses. For anyone 2018 and beyond.

Best way to collect, assuming you’re buying for the flip, is numbered, SSP, or team color. Been trying to buy more Luka Blue anything, but obviously prices are ridiculous.

Chronicles is a fantastic set.

And yeah, I really don’t know what to say about people paying $5k for optic Holos, 1k for prizm base, 5k for prizm silver. Zion NT RPA going for 100k...

Every player who plays 20+ mins a game being valued like he’s a future 5x All Star. Every young All Star being valued like he’s a future 2-3x MVP and champion.

I think Mahomes is a lock to stay expensive and has a very high floor for almost all of his RCs. I think Luka has a pretty high floor, barring any unforeseen fall off. Because Luka has a unique allure :mjpls: he still has about 3-4 years of not producing in the playoffs before people start to doubt him and his pricing comes down, imo. Especially if he keeps putting up Westbrook numbers.

Zion hype train will continue for a couple years at least. But he came out of the gate massively overvalued so unless he turns into Giannis/Luka level impact (top 5 MVP candidate), I think a lot of people will be losing money. Zion isn’t a ballhandler the way every high valued modern guy is. Not sure if he can be your number 1 option. But he’s valued like he’s baby LeBron... We shall see

If guys like Booker and Lillard, and even a champion like Kyrie, are pretty cheap to get because their hype has run out, it’s pretty damn concerning for all the 18-19 and 19-20 guys that people are dumping racks into...
I like Luka but he has some Harden tendencies in terms of hunting cheap fouls. Not as bad as the Beard but if he leans into that style more I wonder if people will be turned off.

I sent Probstein a bunch of low end base/parallels and got way more than I should have. 2019 base Prizm LeBron went for $50. :dead: I can't believe these prices have sustained this long. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Curry Silvers and Holos are still the easiest money maker right now, imo. Still mostly in the $10-25 range raw and 10s are between $100-200; plenty available too.

Zion's overvalued...but if he starts the bubble with monster numbers and carries that over next season with a hot start, there will be another explosion. He's not a ballhandler but he's physically overwhelming and a highlight every time he steps on the floor. I still believe the Prizm Variation SPs have more room to grow.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I'm trying to pick up a few Duncan RCs. He should get a bump across the board at some point with his HOF induction coming up. Dwyane Wade should not have higher prices than him.

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Are Prizm Baseball and Topps Series 2 not good? There’s a bunch of it at all the Walmarts in my area.

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Series 2 is fuego because of Luis Robert.
Does Prizm Baseball not have Luis Roberts? I collect basketball and if someone can’t get a Prizm Zion, they’ll settle for Optic or Hoops Zion. If people can’t get a Bowman Chrome of a hot player then they don’t bother?

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
Does Prizm Baseball not have Luis Roberts? I collect basketball and if someone can’t get a Prizm Zion, they’ll settle for Optic or Hoops Zion. If people can’t get a Bowman Chrome of a hot player then they don’t bother?
Prizm and Optic baseball aren't licensed cards. Panini doesn't have an MLB license so all the logos are airbrushed off. Older versions with Acuna and Trout have taken off lately. I don't know if Roberts is on their checklists but if he is, those will be big hits too.

TM101

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prizm and Optic baseball aren't licensed cards. Panini doesn't have an MLB license so all the logos are airbrushed off. Older versions with Acuna and Trout have taken off lately. I don't know if Roberts is on their checklists but if he is, those will be big hits too.
Thanks for the clarification. I just assumed Panini had all the major licenses

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
2020 pickups

50170640212_7367b54fee_b.jpg

both /99

50170643607_55c378ac3d_b.jpg

needed this in the collection a while back

50170373021_3d174a4318_b.jpg

level IV court kings. one of my favorite cards in my collection

50170292721_2605f67b62_b.jpg

only 2nd year luka i own. /50, pop 1

50170685192_ed8dd13cfb_b.jpg

bought prizm raw. pulled the rookies holo myself

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
2020 pickups

50170640212_7367b54fee_b.jpg

both /99

50170643607_55c378ac3d_b.jpg

needed this in the collection a while back

50170373021_3d174a4318_b.jpg

level IV court kings. one of my favorite cards in my collection

50170292721_2605f67b62_b.jpg

only 2nd year luka i own. /50, pop 1

50170685192_ed8dd13cfb_b.jpg

bought prizm raw. pulled the rookies holo myself
I love Court Kings. Are you gonna grade that Morant?