Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
mh6lohqi3lz01.png

Daps
Reppin
Mt. Vernon
It feels like Shazam is going to be the Deadpool of the DCEU. That promo shot drinking just reminds me of Deadpool promo.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
The 'Shazam' Suit Went Through Lots Of Changes During Filming

David F. Sandberg (Lights Out; Annabelle: Creation) directs the highly-anticipated superhero film that’s described as Big but with superheroes. Zachary Levi portrays the titular alter-ego of young Billy Batson, played by Asher Angel.

Before the first official photo of Levi in the Shazam suit was revealed, numerous set photos leaked showing him donning the suit in certain situations. Some expressed concern that the suit looked a bit too goofy, but the official image of Shazam New Line Cinema and Warner Bros. released gave fans a better idea of how it will translate on screen.

In an interview with the Film Riot Podcast, Sandberg revealed that before and even during production, the Shazam suit underwent numerous changes:

“Yeah, there were a few iterations. And you sort of have to keep changing stuff even after we started shooting because you realize things… You shoot the first scene and Zach [Levi] is like, ‘You know, I can’t move my hands properly with these gauntlets.’ So we had to redesign that, or like the boots kept falling apart so it’s like, ‘Oh well, I guess we have to do something different there.’ It was sort of a constant process of updating and making it work better.”

When it comes to seeing how the Shazam suit would look on camera, Sandberg revealed some interesting details regarding the structure of the suit:

“You shoot the fabric [with] different lights. Before you even have a costume, you test fabric samples with different patterns on them and all that. His lightning bolt lights up, so there was a lot of tests to get that right.”

Sandberg also revealed that the Shazam suit’s lightning bolt insignia and gauntlets both light up through practical effects.

It just goes to show you that leaked set photos are not the be-all-end-all when it comes to how a character’s aesthetic will translate on film. Ideas that jump out to the filmmakers on paper usually need some alterations so the finished product will be the best it could be. Also, post-production is also a major factor and when the practical footage and the visual effects combine in good harmony, the final presentation can truly soar in flying colors.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Should just shoot the movie with nothing but dark tones so the brightness of the suit wouldn't stand out like Zack's BVS

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
DC's Shazam! casts 'Guardians of the Galaxy' actor Djimon Hounsou as the Wizard

DC’s Shazam! movie has found its 3,000-year-old Wizard.

Djimon Hounsou was quietly cast to play the sorcerer who gives young Billy Batson his powers in DC’s Shazam! film coming next year, EW has exclusively learned.

Hounsou also played the Kree mercenary Korath the Pursuer in Guardians of the Galaxy as well as the upcoming Captain Marvel — so he’s pulling off the rare feat of having significant roles in both the Marvel and DC universe at the same time.

Previously, This Is Us actor Ron Cephas Jones was widely reported as likely getting the Shazam! role, but that didn’t end up happening due to a scheduling conflict.

Filming on Shazam! has actually wrapped, but this bit of casting remained under the radar until now. (Comic fans will bemusedly note that Hounsou’s upcoming Captain Marvel was also the original name of the Shazam! comic book before DC changed the name).

Hounsou rose to fame in major roles in films like Amistad and Gladiator, and was previously in another DC title — playing Papa Midnite in 2005’s Constantine.

Shazam! hits theaters April 5, 2019 and follows a 14-year-old (Angel Asher) who gains the power to turn into a grown-up superhero (Zachary Levi) by saying a magic word. In the comics, Honsou’s character is a 3,000 years old sorcerer from Ancient Egypt who uses his powers to fight evil and has been seeking a successor to carry on his mission. He passes his power to Billy who only needs to shout his name — SHAZAM — to instantly become a superhero with an array of powers.