The Official Playstation 4 Thread - News and Info

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
honestly this doesn't even matter. last generation the best selling console had the worst game library. these consoles will hit and their respective companies will fund exclusives and third party games will probably either be timed exclusives or multi-platform. sales don't really matter anymore. we'll likely never see a PS2 era of console dominance again.

I never thought someone's state of mind will show In a online post but man you are always cynical about everything :dwillhuh:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
honestly this doesn't even matter. last generation the best selling console had the worst game library. these consoles will hit and their respective companies will fund exclusives and third party games will probably either be timed exclusives or multi-platform. sales don't really matter anymore. we'll likely never see a PS2 era of console dominance again.
Xbox hasnt had *THE GAMES* in any console gen they've been in and this gen wont be any different. Sony has always delivered. Always.

As far as market share, Well yea probably not considering xbox has a piece of the market and this gen, xbox wont sell 70 million and ps4, WIll.

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
People lose me when they become these spec warriors.

PS3 specs were much more impressive than 360's and that system couldn't run a Fallout/Skyrim gave for shyt.

That was simply due to PS3's complicated architecture/RAM setup in comparison to 360.

Pretty much all of PS3 mistakes have been corrected with PS4.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Think about it though. With the indie game market blowing up we might have a ps2 era because if the indy games are successful just as or better than the AAA titles it would force those big name publishers and the low tier publishers to stop aiming at one thing and start making a variety of games again.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Mark Cerny Explains The PS4′s GPU – Can Perform Asynchronous Complex Processes « GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog
A couple of days back, Mark Cerny, the lead architect on the PlayStation 4, attended Gamelab 2013, a developer conference which took place in Barcelona. At the conference he spoke in great length about the PS4 and its set of features.

He also spoke about how the PS4′s GPU is not only limited to handling the graphics but also complex processes which is traditionally handled by the CPU.

“We have worked hard to ensure that the console has a rich feature set, which will allow it to grow over the years and support the overall evolution of gaming. And our work there on that rich feature was to focus on making sure that for those teams that were interested in investing time, the GPU could be used for far more conventional graphics. Principally, we enhanced the GPU to make the use of asynchronous fine grained compute practical on the platform. So the asynchronous refers to the GPU doing many tasks which is not directly related to graphics.”

He believes that the developers will be able to develop richer worlds if they are able to unlock the true potential of this feature set.

“Physics simulation, collision detection, ray casting for audio, decompression and the like. And these operations are fine grained meaning that there will be many small world simulation tasks running on the GPU simultaneously alongside rendering of the game scenes. So the concept is that as game developers learn to use these techniques later on in the console life cycle, we will see richer and even more interactive worlds.”

The presentation also had a slide which gave more details about the PS4 GPU and it’s capabilities:

As you can see from the image above, the PS4′s GPU can also handle some of the CPU based tasks like collision detection and simulation.

Decompression
Raycasting of Audio
Physics Simulation
Collision Detection
World Simulation

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
Think about it though. With the indie game market blowing up we might have a ps2 era because if the indy games are successful just as or better than the AAA titles it would force those big name publishers and the low tier publishers to stop aiming at one thing and start making a variety of games again.

All we need is some dope indy JRPGS :sadbron:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i have a library of PS2 games and at the moment no way to play them other than PCSX2 which has compatibility issues.

i care about backwards compatibility to the extent that i wanna replay through my old games at some point. really though the PS4 should be strong enough to flat out emulate all PS2 and PS1 games. i don't think anything in this console generation will be able to emulate the Cell processor so that era of games will likely be lost once the supply of PS3s dries up.

HD remakes put an end to bc on most mainstream consoles. they figured out the Square Enix plan of reselling the same games as multiple remakes over and over again.

but honestly how much can they really charge a person to stream a game? it can't be much since you don't even physically own the game and an internet connection would be required to stream. are you gonna pay $10 to stream a Final Fantasy XIII when a physical copy on the PS3 can be had for close to that used and you'll own it?

as for streaming PS4 games why bother? unless its to a Vita on the go i'd rather just buy the game
You're under the assumption that they will charge to stream per game. I'm sure that streaming PS3/PS4 games will be part of PS Plus probably and will work with digital games you own.

As for streaming PS4 games, why bother? :childplease: I can play my game that's probably not on my vita anywhere.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I never thought someone's state of mind will show In a online post but man you are always cynical about everything :dwillhuh:
that's not cynical at all. the sales will not really effect which console is the best of the bunch. Sony has a better portfolio of first party studios and a more diverse library of IPs. in all likelihood they'll have the best console this generation like they did last generation.

i mean the Xbox Brand has been around since like 2001 and the only franchises that have managed to stick are Halo, Gears, and Forza (to a lesser extent Fable) and that's that.

when the PS2 era ended Sony lost so much market share that they lost all those third party exclusives and were forced to develop their own. part of what makes them so successful is a studio like Naughty Dog will develop Jak and Dexter and after a period come up with a new IP and hand off Jak and Dexter to an up and coming studio. the same with Sly Cooper. Sucker Punch handed that off and moved on to Infamous.

Microsoft goes out and gets Sony's trash (Insomniac) or Nintendo's trash (Rare) the studios they used up and moved on from never purchasing to commission games. they should have never let Bungie go. outside of Remedy who do they really have that's solid and taking risk?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
Just to drop my two cents, you guys don't get tired of REACHING?
Its well known you love all things sony. But as of this moment, you guys are trying to get hype for Knack :heh: Driveclub looks not that great. The rest of the games are multiplat.

PS3 exclusives have been below average in GAMERS eyes. One company having great games is not enough to make that system the best. And since you like being biased, for some reason you guys shyt on xbox games that are great. Gears of War is one of the best games of this gen, saying its not cuz you like sony is really immature and retarded.
Fatboi is always playing Halo and Gears, but constantly talks negative about it.

Every other game on xbox is trash as well. So go head and limit yourselves to DriveClub and Knack. I'll be playing all the games I KNOW YOU WANT, and I'll be playing PS4 games as well (when one comes out that is worth spending $400 MORE toward gaming)
If neither console had games, Xbox at least has everything else under the sun. Thats why I'm getting an xbox day 1. Cuz it offers much much more. Does the PS4 have better multiplats. Mowgli seems to think so, but nobody anywhere else has said that. Enjoy your misery fellaz :ufdup:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

You're under the assumption that they will charge to stream per game. I'm sure that streaming PS3/PS4 games will be part of PS Plus probably and will work with digital games you own.

As for streaming PS4 games, why bother? :childplease: I can play my game that's probably not on my vita anywhere.
then say i wanna stream Rogue Galaxy i own a copy of that game. how can i stream it to a PS4? it isn't available digitally but i own it.

either that's not gonna be possible or they're gonna charge to stream that indivisual game.

i highly doubt they're gonna have a PS+ service that lets you stream ala Netflix for all you can eat for a monthly fee on games you don't own. if a person that's never played Killswitch comes along and wants to play it on a PS4 i struggle to see how that would work without charging him a fee to play the game but how much could that fee be if he doesn't even own a copy and has to be online to stream?

streaming PS4 games is gonna require a device that's capable of doing so (likely a Vita) and an internet connection that can keep up (likely not free Wifi or unreliable cell phone mobile internet)