The Official Playstation 4 Thread - News and Info

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Is it true that the PC's equivalent to the PS4's GPU is an HD 7850/ GTX 560?

I think it will be more like a 7860. :whoo: Thats my sony. They just give and give to the fans. Microsoft and their Xbox DUNG just takes and takes from the fans and thats so demonic.

"Replicating the 8GB unified ram of the Sony console will be impossible," another well-placed source tells us.

"The problem with Windows is that there is always a DirectX type 'layer' between the game and the actual hardware. This marshals and controls the movement of textures/shaders/vertices from the main PC memory to the memory on the GPU. Unless PC games programmers get direct control of the hardware (very unlikely), you will always be fighting against this issue. You never know where your textures are and when they will be uploaded to the GPU, which can cause stalls or micro-stutters in a frame as resources are shunted between the memory types."
Quote:
While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
PS4_meme_kaz_hirai_PlayStation_4_03.gif

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I've confirmed that there are 8 Jaguar based AMD CPU cores inside the PS4's APU. The CPU + GPU are on a single die. Jaguar will still likely have better performance than the PS3/Xbox 360's PowerPC cores, and it should be faster than anything ARM based out today, but there's not huge headroom going forward. While I'm happier with Sony's (and MS') CPU selection this time around, I always hoped someone would take CPU performance in a console a bit more seriously. Given the choice between spending transistors on the CPU vs. GPU, I understand that the GPU wins every time in a console—I'm just always an advocate for wanting more of both. I realize I never wrote up a piece on AMD's Jaguar architecture, so I'll likely be doing that in the not too distant future. Update: I did.

The choice of 8 cores is somewhat unique. Jaguar's default compute unit is a quad-core machine with a large shared L2 cache, it's likely that AMD placed two of these together for the PlayStation 4. The last generation of consoles saw a march towards heavily threaded machines, so it's no surprise that AMD/Sony want to continue the trend here. Clock speed is unknown, but Jaguar was good for a mild increase over its predecessor Bobcat. Given the large monolithic die, AMD and Sony may not have wanted to push frequency as high as possible in order to keep yields up and power down. While I still expect CPU performance to move forward in this generation of consoles, I was reminded of the fact that the PowerPC cores in the previous generation ran at very high frequencies. The IPC gains afforded by Jaguar have to be significant in order to make up for what will likely be a lower clock speed.

We don't know specifics of the GPU, but with it approaching 2 TFLOPS we're looking at a level of performance somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870. Update: Sony has confirmed the actual performance of the PlayStation 4's GPU as 1.84 TFLOPS. Sony claims the GPU features 18 compute units, which if this is GCN based we'd be looking at 1152 SPs and 72 texture units. It's unclear how custom the GPU is however, so we'll have to wait for additional information to really know for sure. The highest end PC GPUs are already faster than this, but the PS4's GPU is a lot faster than the PS3's RSX which was derived from NVIDIA's G70 architecture (used in the GeForce 7800 GTX, for example). I'm quite pleased with the promised level of GPU performance with the PS4. There are obvious power and cost constraints that would keep AMD/Sony from going even higher here, but this should be a good leap forward from current gen consoles.

Outfitting the PS4 with 8GB of RAM will be great for developers, and using high-speed GDDR5 will help ensure the GPU isn't bandwidth starved. Sony promised around 176GB/s of memory bandwidth for the PS4. The lack of solid state storage isn't surprising. Hard drives still offer a dramatic advantage in cost per GB vs. an SSD. Now if it's user replaceable with an SSD that would be a nice compromise.

Leveraging Gaikai's cloud gaming technology, the PS4 will be able to act as a game server and stream the video output to a PS Vita, wirelessly. This sounds a lot like what NVIDIA is doing with Project Shield and your NVIDIA powered gaming PC. Sony referenced dedicated video encode/decode hardware that allows you to instantaneously record and share screenshots/video of gameplay. I suspect this same hardware is used in streaming your game to a PS Vita.

Backwards compatibility with PS3 games isn't guaranteed and instead will leverage cloud gaming to stream older content to the box. There's some sort of a dedicated background processor that handles uploads and downloads, and even handles updates in the background while the system is off. The PS4 also supports instant suspend/resume.

The new box heavily leverages PC hardware, which is something we're expecting from the next Xbox as well. It's interesting that this is effectively how Microsoft entered the console space back in 2001 with the original Xbox, and now both Sony and MS have returned to that philosophy with their next gen consoles in 2013. The PlayStation 4 will be available this holiday season.

I'm trying to get more details on the CPU and GPU architectures and will update as soon as I have more info.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I think it will be more like a 7860. :whoo: Thats my sony. They just give and give to the fans. Microsoft and their Xbox DUNG just takes and takes from the fans and thats so demonic.

"Replicating the 8GB unified ram of the Sony console will be impossible," another well-placed source tells us.

"The problem with Windows is that there is always a DirectX type 'layer' between the game and the actual hardware. This marshals and controls the movement of textures/shaders/vertices from the main PC memory to the memory on the GPU. Unless PC games programmers get direct control of the hardware (very unlikely), you will always be fighting against this issue. You never know where your textures are and when they will be uploaded to the GPU, which can cause stalls or micro-stutters in a frame as resources are shunted between the memory types."
Quote:
While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

I've confirmed that there are 8 Jaguar based AMD CPU cores inside the PS4's APU. The CPU + GPU are on a single die. Jaguar will still likely have better performance than the PS3/Xbox 360's PowerPC cores, and it should be faster than anything ARM based out today, but there's not huge headroom going forward. While I'm happier with Sony's (and MS') CPU selection this time around, I always hoped someone would take CPU performance in a console a bit more seriously. Given the choice between spending transistors on the CPU vs. GPU, I understand that the GPU wins every time in a console—I'm just always an advocate for wanting more of both. I realize I never wrote up a piece on AMD's Jaguar architecture, so I'll likely be doing that in the not too distant future. Update: I did.

The choice of 8 cores is somewhat unique. Jaguar's default compute unit is a quad-core machine with a large shared L2 cache, it's likely that AMD placed two of these together for the PlayStation 4. The last generation of consoles saw a march towards heavily threaded machines, so it's no surprise that AMD/Sony want to continue the trend here. Clock speed is unknown, but Jaguar was good for a mild increase over its predecessor Bobcat. Given the large monolithic die, AMD and Sony may not have wanted to push frequency as high as possible in order to keep yields up and power down. While I still expect CPU performance to move forward in this generation of consoles, I was reminded of the fact that the PowerPC cores in the previous generation ran at very high frequencies. The IPC gains afforded by Jaguar have to be significant in order to make up for what will likely be a lower clock speed.

We don't know specifics of the GPU, but with it approaching 2 TFLOPS we're looking at a level of performance somewhere between a Radeon HD 7850 and 7870. Update: Sony has confirmed the actual performance of the PlayStation 4's GPU as 1.84 TFLOPS. Sony claims the GPU features 18 compute units, which if this is GCN based we'd be looking at 1152 SPs and 72 texture units. It's unclear how custom the GPU is however, so we'll have to wait for additional information to really know for sure. The highest end PC GPUs are already faster than this, but the PS4's GPU is a lot faster than the PS3's RSX which was derived from NVIDIA's G70 architecture (used in the GeForce 7800 GTX, for example). I'm quite pleased with the promised level of GPU performance with the PS4. There are obvious power and cost constraints that would keep AMD/Sony from going even higher here, but this should be a good leap forward from current gen consoles.

Outfitting the PS4 with 8GB of RAM will be great for developers, and using high-speed GDDR5 will help ensure the GPU isn't bandwidth starved. Sony promised around 176GB/s of memory bandwidth for the PS4. The lack of solid state storage isn't surprising. Hard drives still offer a dramatic advantage in cost per GB vs. an SSD. Now if it's user replaceable with an SSD that would be a nice compromise.

Leveraging Gaikai's cloud gaming technology, the PS4 will be able to act as a game server and stream the video output to a PS Vita, wirelessly. This sounds a lot like what NVIDIA is doing with Project Shield and your NVIDIA powered gaming PC. Sony referenced dedicated video encode/decode hardware that allows you to instantaneously record and share screenshots/video of gameplay. I suspect this same hardware is used in streaming your game to a PS Vita.

Backwards compatibility with PS3 games isn't guaranteed and instead will leverage cloud gaming to stream older content to the box. There's some sort of a dedicated background processor that handles uploads and downloads, and even handles updates in the background while the system is off. The PS4 also supports instant suspend/resume.

The new box heavily leverages PC hardware, which is something we're expecting from the next Xbox as well. It's interesting that this is effectively how Microsoft entered the console space back in 2001 with the original Xbox, and now both Sony and MS have returned to that philosophy with their next gen consoles in 2013. The PlayStation 4 will be available this holiday season.

I'm trying to get more details on the CPU and GPU architectures and will update as soon as I have more info.

nikka, can you post a link?

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
PlayStation 4 Games - PlayStation 4 Wiki Guide - IGN

What we know so far about games for that 4

Confirmed PlayStation 4 Games

These games have been confirmed specifically for PlayStation 4. See below for a list of games confirmed for "next-generation systems," which highly suggests a PlayStation 4 release. Click on any of the games below for more information, videos and screenshots.

Game Developer Release Date

Battlefield 4 [1] EA DICE TBA
Deep Down Capcom TBA
Destiny Bungie TBA
Diablo III Blizzard Entertainment TBA
DriveClub Evolution Studios TBA
Dying Light [2] Techland TBA
EA Sports UFC [3] EA TBA
FIFA Soccer 14 [4] EA TBA
Final Fantasy (PS4) Square Enix TBA
Infamous: Second Son Sucker Punch TBA
Killzone: Shadow Fall Guerrilla Games TBA
Madden 25 [5] EA TBA
NBA Live 14 [6] EA TBA
Need for Speed Rivals [7] EA TBA
Knack Studios Japan TBA
Sniper Elite 3 [8] 505 Games TBA
Thief [9] Square-Enix 2014
Watch Dogs UbiSoft Montreal TBA
War Thunder [10] Gaijin Entertainment Fall 2013
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt CD Projekt RED 2014
The Witness Thekla, Inc TBA
Blacklight: Retribution Zombie Studios TBA
Primal Carnage: Genesis Lukewarm Media TBA
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag [11] Ubisoft TBA
Call of Duty: Ghosts [12] Infinity Ward November 5th, 2013

Games Coming to "Next-Gen Consoles"

These games may not have specifically been confirmed for PlayStation 4, but have been announced for "next-gen consoles."

Visceral Star Wars Game: A report confirms that Dead Space developer, Visceral, has begun the hiring process to build a next gen Star Wars title.[13]

Wolfenstein: The New Order: Bethesda and MachineGames' next Wolfenstein game has been announced for "next-gen consoles" and is coming in Fall 2013. [14]

The Evil Within: The newest game from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami was announced by Bethesda for a 2014 release on "next-generation consoles," [15]

Dragon Age III: Inquisition: Despite being announced by BioWare for a release in 2013, the resume of an EA Shanghai level designer suggested that the "scope" of the game has changed and that it "will be postponed to 2014" and "target next gen platforms." [16]

Cyberpunk 2077: This futuristic RPG is being developed by CD Projekt, using the brand new Redengine3. This game is an open world RPG that is based on the pen and paper game with nearly the same name. [17]

Human Element: Upstart developer Robotoki (a company founded by Robert Bowling, formerly the creative strategist for the Call of Duty franchise) is creating this ambitious, episodic project that is targeting next-generation gaming platforms of all kinds. Portions of the project will debut first on the Ouya platform, but the core portion of Human Element is a major release planned for 2015. [18]

Spec Ops: Yager, the European studio behind 2012's cult favorite Spec Ops: The Line, is officially working on a new game. Epic Games has revealed that the company has licensed its new, next-generation engine -- Unreal Engine 4 -- to Yager for use in an "unannounced next-generation AAA game."[19]

Rumored PlayStation 4 Games

These games might be coming to PlayStation 4, but "next-generation systems" have not been directly mentioned in announcements. Nevertheless, the information on the games below has been properly sourced.

Homefront Sequel: Perhaps titled Homefront 2, Crytek is developing this game (and was the company that originally outed the Xbox 720's Durango codename.)[20]

Mafia III: Rumors suggest that Mafia III is in development at 2K Czech and was delayed in order to shift to next-generation consoles. [21]
With the delay of Grand Theft Auto V, it is possible that it will be released simultaneously with the next generation of consoles. [22] [23]

Naughty Dog Project - Naughty Dog co-president Evan Wells believes the prospect of developing for PlayStation 4 is "terrifying" as the studio looks into what its next project will be. [24]

Ready at Dawn Next-Gen Game - The developers of the God of War PSP games are developing "an exciting new AAA IP for a Next-Generation home console game system." [25]

Next-Gen Sonic Game - Sega notes that Sonic "won't become photo-real" in next-gen games and that he "will always remain stylized and will have that bright, colorful world. What the high hardware spec will allow us to do is make that more convincing." [26]
Square-Enix "Luminous" Games - Square-Enix is showing off its "Luminous" tech engine, capable of highly realistic next-gen graphics. Luminous will make games 30% cheaper and shorten development cycles. [27]

Medieval RPG - Warhorse studio is currently working on an unannounced medieval RPG game. Its is being developed using a modifed version of CryEngine3.
Singularity: This project is rumored to be in development at Quantic Dream. They acquired the url Singularityps4.com in 2013, and the title "Singularity" has been connected to the company since at least 2012. The company's "Kara" technology was originally showcased on PS3 hardware, but the characters and setting seen in the game could possibly be part of the next-generation Singularity project.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
PlayStation 4 Has a Significant Power Advantage Over Xbox One

Sony's system leading the charge

It seems that there was a reason behind the hazy specifications that Microsoft released for the Xbox One – it’s not quite up to snuff compared to the PlayStation 4. The ever reliable technology gurus over at Digital Foundry have stripped back both consoles and come up with some fascinating conclusions – namely that Sony’s system has a GPU roughly 50 per cent more powerful than its counterpart.

“We know that both Xbox One and PS4 are based on Radeon GCN architecture and we also know that each compute unit is capable of 64 operations per clock," explained author Richard Leadbetter. “So, again, through a process of extrapolation from the drip-feed of hard facts, the make-up of the One's GPU is confirmed – 12 compute units each capable of 64 ops/clock gives us the 768 total revealed by Microsoft, and thus, by extension, the 1.2 teraflop graphics core.”

He added: “That's another tick on the Durango leaked spec that has been transposed across to the final Xbox One architecture, and the proof that we need that the PS4's 18 CU graphics core has 50 per cent more raw power than the GPU in the new Microsoft console."

Of course, it’s not the only advantage that Sony’s system holds. The PlayStation maker is using significantly faster RAM than is found in the Xbox One, which Leadbetter hypothesises is the result of a fortuitous gamble. It also seems that the PS4 will have a much smaller system footprint, with roughly 1GB of the console’s memory being reserved for system tasks, while Microsoft’s machine will supposedly require a whopping 3GB.

It’s not entirely clear what impact this will have on multiplatform games, but you can probably rule out shoddy PS4 ports at this point in time. There’s plenty more technical information available through here. It’s a fascinating read – well, if you’ve got a degree in computer science, anyway.