Essential The Official Photography Thread

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Copped 2 of the new Nanlite Forza 720 lights. Awesome lights and for the price they can’t be beat.

I’ve really been looking into renting out my studio space for photographers. I have the Sony A7R3 but have been heavily focused on video for the last 3 years.

What would be some must haves in your opinion for a photography studio.
I would like to have the essentials for any photographers to walk in and work with ease. I’m thinking of charging like $50 / hour for the space and have all the essential lights/backdrops/etc

kdslittlebro

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lightroom has a great spot fix tool.. I noticed my own black squiggles after my last trip.. I've got to remember to point up in the sky and take a few testers before starting to snap
I use Luminar 4, and it has a pretty good eraser. I touched a couple up just to learn the tool and it worked perfectly, I just didn’t have the motivation to go through all of em. These are just a few shots, and I don’t even wanna go through all these. Probably just my absolute favorites, or if I decide to print

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Copped 2 of the new Nanlite Forza 720 lights. Awesome lights and for the price they can’t be beat.

I’ve really been looking into renting out my studio space for photographers. I have the Sony A7R3 but have been heavily focused on video for the last 3 years.

What would be some must haves in your opinion for a photography studio.
I would like to have the essentials for any photographers to walk in and work with ease. I’m thinking of charging like $50 / hour for the space and have all the essential lights/backdrops/etc

I know when I rented studio space from a friend back when I was doing portraits he had a few couches in there, bar stools, ottomans, plenty of photo props, lighting with mods (beauty dishes, softboxes, and strip boxes), boom stands, backdrop setup for paper and muslin. He closed his place down however one of the things that I bought from him that has been very useful is a pair of wooden panel room dividers (old pic below), these things are nice as you can separately light them from the back. I know they make them in a bunch of different style including ones with semi-transparent panels.

CRW_8947.jpg

Last edited:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I know when I rented studio space from a friend back when I was doing portraits he had a few couches in there, bar stools, ottomans, plenty of photo props, lighting with mods (beauty dishes, softboxes, and strip boxes), boom stands, backdrop setup for paper and muslin. He closed his place down however one of the things that I bought from him that has been very useful is a pair of wooden panel room dividers (old pic below), these things are nice as you can separately light them from the back. I know they make them in a bunch of different style including ones with semi-transparent panels.

CRW_8947.jpg
Appreciate you. Any particular brand(s) for flashes, triggers, umbrellas that I should be looking at?
I know video gear all day it’s just photography that I’m just now taking serious.
Godox stays popping up when I go to B&H

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Appreciate you. Any particular brand(s) for flashes, triggers, umbrellas that I should be looking at?
I know video gear all day it’s just photography that I’m just now taking serious.
Godox stays popping up when I go to B&H

I've heard of Godox, never used them. I can tell you from experience Paul C. Buff equipment has been great and not that expensive. I know cost is a factor for studios. I have had 2 Alien Bee B800 strobes last me for over 15yrs and the only thing I have replaced is a flash tube and modeling lamp. I have their beauty dishes and and soft boxes, good quality stuff. A lot of this stuff is foldable for easy storage too. Photoflex is another great brand for soft boxes and umbrellas. A lot of these companies make their own triggers too. I use Adorama flashpoint 4 channel triggers for the strobes, they have worked for me for years.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I've heard of Godox, never used them. I can tell you from experience Paul C. Buff equipment has been great and not that expensive. I know cost is a factor for studios. I have had 2 Alien Bee B800 strobes last me for over 15yrs and the only thing I have replaced is a flash tube and modeling lamp. I have their beauty dishes and and soft boxes, good quality stuff. A lot of this stuff is foldable for easy storage too. Photoflex is another great brand for soft boxes and umbrellas. A lot of these companies make their own triggers too. I use Adorama flashpoint 4 channel triggers for the strobes, they have worked for me for years.
Appreciate you. I ended up making a few calls and settled on 2 godox AD400 pros, 6 rolls of 9’ paper in various colors, a rack to store the paper rolls, a wall rack to mount and unroll 3 different rolls, 2 soft boxes, 2 different beauty dishes, eyelighter Panel, triggers for canon, Sony, and Nikon and some c stands.
Dropped close to 5 racks. Everything should arrive by Thursday and I’ll install everything over the weekend.
I never did a grand opening for my studio and I plan on using this opportunity to finally do one. I figure, invite a bunch of local photographers and models to use the studio for free all day and then do a marketing push on IG and Facebook.
I’m debating whether charging $50 or $60 an hour. I researched local spots and they charge $35-$40 an hour but their spaces aren’t as clean as mine so I’m comfortable charging a little bit of a premium.

Last edited:

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Appreciate you. I ended up making a few calls and settled on 2 godox AD400 pros, 6 rolls of 9’ paper in various colors, a rack to store the paper rolls, a wall rack to mount and unroll 3 different rolls, 2 soft boxes, 2 different beauty dishes, eyelighter Panel, triggers for canon, Sony, and Nikon and some c stands.
Dropped close to 5 racks. Everything should arrive by Thursday and I’ll install everything over the weekend.
I never did a grand opening for my studio and I plan on using this opportunity to finally do one. I figure, invite a bunch of local photographers and models to use the studio for free all day and then do a marketing push on IG and Facebook.
I’m debating whether charging $50 or $60 an hour. I researched local spots and they charge $35-$40 an hour but their spaces aren’t as clean as mine so I’m comfortable charging a little bit of a premium.

Congrats on everything, hope the opening goes well, share some pics when you get it all setup. Sounds like you got all the right equipment you need. I would definitely stick with that $50/$60 and hour, especially if your place is much nicer. Photographers will appreciate a nice studio that's easy and clean to work out of. Is your spot 1 or 2 floors?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Congrats on everything, hope the opening goes well, share some pics when you get it all setup. Sounds like you got all the right equipment you need. I would definitely stick with that $50/$60 and hour, especially if your place is much nicer. Photographers will appreciate a nice studio that's easy and clean to work out of. Is your spot 1 or 2 floors?
One floor. It’s a relatively small office. It consists of a small lobby where I have a nice little couch and tv on the wall, then a decent size conference room, a recording booth, my editing office and a single car garage bay where I’m setting up the photography studio. The garage bay is long so plenty space to break out some 50-100mm lenses and get nice portraits. I’ll share some pics of the space soon.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
I use Luminar 4, and it has a pretty good eraser. I touched a couple up just to learn the tool and it worked perfectly, I just didn’t have the motivation to go through all of em. These are just a few shots, and I don’t even wanna go through all these. Probably just my absolute favorites, or if I decide to print

I use luminar ai makes everything so easy