Essential The Official Photography Thread

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
What type of cam are y'all using and what's the price range? After further doing reviews on the Canon Powershot SX700 HS, I'm not entirely sure on what I want. I don't know what good stats to really look for regarding a cam but I'm looking for potentially the best I can get at a $300 price range that takes very sharp pics/videos and does well in low light and has zoom capabilities and all that other good stuff.

Is Canon even the best brand? All these review sites are all over the place and now I'm lost and need more help

I use a Canon 7D and a Canon 30D, both DSLR's and I bought both of them used, spent roughly $1,100 on both bodies. Already had lenses. I would take a trip to your local camera store or Best Buy, Target, etc. and see what they have and try a few out and see how you like them. One of the sites I used when I was looking to buy a camera was..........

http://www.dpreview.com/

Very helpful.......plus plenty of user feedback in the forums.

There isnt a best brand, just better camera's depending on what you want to shoot and spend. so the best camera for you could be a Cannon, sony, nikon, or pentek depending on your needs and budget.

I am using a 5Dm3 its expensive and takes can sharp vids and pics depending on the lens attached and the person using it, I have zero knoledge about non DSLR cams. your best bet would be to look for sample pics.

One of these days I will get a full-frame body. Co-sign this on the bolded. Same with me. I couldn't tell you about the non-DSLR camera's, I haven't used one in years.

Last edited:

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
What type of cam are y'all using and what's the price range? After further doing reviews on the Canon Powershot SX700 HS, I'm not entirely sure on what I want. I don't know what good stats to really look for regarding a cam but I'm looking for potentially the best I can get at a $300 price range that takes very sharp pics/videos and does well in low light and has zoom capabilities and all that other good stuff.

Is Canon even the best brand? All these review sites are all over the place and now I'm lost and need more help

Any of the top tier companies make great cameras. Just have to find the one that works best for you. I've got a Canon 60D. Eventually I plan on jumping up to the Canon Mark III. You should think about getting something like this. You'd be able to capture video with this. You'd also be able to do some zoom in with the lens. Eventually you could even start to get other lenses once you get the hang of using this camera and want to push your photography.

http://www.canonpricewatch.com/product/03545/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T3-with-18-55mm-IS-II-Kit-price.html

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I use a Canon 7D and a Canon 30D, both DSLR's and I bought both of them used, spent roughly $1,100 on both bodies. Already had lenses. I would take a trip to your local camera store or Best Buy, Target, etc. and see what they have and try a few out and see how you like them. One of the sites I used when I was looking to buy a camera was..........

http://www.dpreview.com/

Very helpful.......plus plenty of user feedback in the forums.

One of these days I will get a full-frame body. Co-sign this on the bolded. Same with me. I couldn't tell you about the non-DSLR camera's, I haven't used one in years.

Same with me. I couldn't tell you about the non-DSLR camera's, I haven't used one in years.
Whats funny is, it seems like the more expensive my camera got the less I used it. I put in work with my T3 but dont know where those pics are. Also, I feel like my knowledge of photo editing has jumped and I never really took my 7D to it's full potential. I really havent shot anything in a few months even the pics I just posted were from summer. I think I am going to go out and shoot today.

You are going to love FF tho, the low light performance is god like compared to the 7D. IQ is immediately noticeably better with the same lenses you have.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Whats funny is, it seems like the more expensive my camera got the less I used it. I put in work with my T3 but dont know where those pics are. Also, I feel like my knowledge of photo editing has jumped and I never really took my 7D to it's full potential. I really havent shot anything in a few months even the pics I just posted were from summer. I think I am going to go out and shoot today.

You are going to love FF tho, the low light performance is god like compared to the 7D. IQ is immediately noticeably better with the same lenses you have.

I'll take that Mark III off your hands for $200,000 coli cash and all my reps if you don't want it.

What lenses do you have?

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

I bought my 30D back in '08, used it heavily for a few years, tapered off in '14. Bought the 7D about a month ago, it had recharged my interest in photography especially with it's high iso performance compared to the 30D. I was seriously considering the 7D MK 2 and still am. My photo editing has stayed to same for the last few years, really want to mess with HDR now and video. All of the night shots I've been posting has been from the last few weekends. I haven't shot a model in a few months.....need to get back to it. Recently bought 2 more studio flash triggers, need 2 more Alien Bee 800's.

I definitely want to get a FF, the low light performance I know is incredible, it will probably be a used 5D MK 2 or 3............. found this through a friend was blown away at the price.....didn't know L lenses came packaged with bodies. Right now I have a list of lenses to buy in the coming months....

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=874331

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I bought my 30D back in '08, used it heavily for a few years, tapered off in '14. Bought the 7D about a month ago, it had recharged my interest in photography especially with it's high iso performance compared to the 30D. I was seriously considering the 7D MK 2 and still am. My photo editing has stayed to same for the last few years, really want to mess with HDR now and video. All of the night shots I've been posting has been from the last few weekends. I haven't shot a model in a few months.....need to get back to it. Recently bought 2 more studio flash triggers, need 2 more Alien Bee 800's.

I definitely want to get a FF, the low light performance I know is incredible, it will probably be a used 5D MK 2 or 3............. found this through a friend was blown away at the price.....didn't know L lenses came packaged with bodies. Right now I have a list of lenses to buy in the coming months....

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=874331

That's the package I got brand new for $1000 with warranty(retail at the time was $4,000), I had already had a 24-105L so I sold it for like $600-$650 so only about a $400 loss to get the 5D. I was going to sell my 7D too so it would have been like me getting paid to upgrade to the 5Dm3 but I ended up keeping it even tho I havent really used it since I got the 5D its good to have a second camera.
I'll take that Mark III off your hands for $200,000 coli cash and all my reps if you don't want it.

What lenses do you have?

As tempting as that sounds, my Coli cash will probably be on $0 by the end of the raiders next season. I just have the 24-105L and the sigma 50mm f1.4. both are good but not great. I want to get the 70-200L 2.8 IS markII, the 135L F2 and the tamron 24-70 2.8 but I dont have $4000 laying around.

I do wish I never sold my 40mm pancake lens tho :mjcry:

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
That's the package I got brand new for $1000 with warranty(retail at the time was $4,000), I had already had a 24-105L so I sold it for like $600-$650 so only about a $400 loss to get the 5D. I was going to sell my 7D too so it would have been like me getting paid to upgrade to the 5Dm3 but I ended up keeping it even tho I havent really used it since I got the 5D its good to have a second camera.

As tempting as that sounds, my Coli cash will probably be on $0 by the end of the raiders next season. I just have the 24-105L and the sigma 50mm f1.4. both are good but not great. I want to get the 70-200L 2.8 IS markII, the 135L F2 and the tamron 24-70 2.8 but I dont have $4000 laying around.

How does one get a Mark III for $1000? Really want to upgrade cameras and get a 35mm Sigma along with about 4 other lenses.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

Wait you paid $1,000 in the store/online for the MK 3?? How did you manage that??? I see where you said you sold the 24-105L. That Tamron 24-70 2.8 is a beast, a few friends have it and love it.

There was a guy on FB selling a Canon 50mm f/1.2 for $800, one of the lenses I want. Canon lens list this year is gonna be: 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm (f/4.0L or f/2.8L), 100-400mm L, and 50mm f/1.2L. Not all at once cause I don't have 4-5 grand laying around either, but over time.

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Wait you paid $1,000 in the store/online for the MK 3?? How did you manage that??? I see where you said you sold the 24-105L. That Tamron 24-70 2.8 is a beast, a few friends have it and love it.

There was a guy on FB selling a Canon 50mm f/1.2 for $800, one of the lenses I want. Canon lens list this year is gonna be: 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm (f/4.0L or f/2.8L), 100-400mm L, and 50mm f/1.2L. Not all at once cause I don't have 4-5 grand laying around either, but over time.
If I could do it again I would, I could easily make $2,000 each time. I can't speak too much on it tho because it might be considered borderline fraud in another country but not under U.S law :mjpls:

I still have a 24-105L tho, once I got the package I had two, and sold one. The 50 1.2 for $800 is pretty cheap I would suspect that something is wrong with it, you have to look out for fungus and shyt that is going to cost an arm and a leg to get fixed when it comes to used lenses. even tho I get better ISO performance, I still need/want faster lenses the f4 can be limiting
How does one get a Mark III for $1000? Really want to upgrade cameras and get a 35mm Sigma along with about 4 other lenses.
The 35mm art is pretty dope, gotta get the dock tho, my 50mm has some inconsistent focusing issues

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Great responses.. thanks for the feedback guys

No problem, honestly the link @beejus posted about that Rebel T3 would be a great camera to get into photography with. The downside with any on the non-dslr camera's you are stuck with the lens that is on that camera, with a dslr the options are wide open (budget depending) and the learning curve IMO is greater. Grab that T3 or a T5 (little more than the $300 you wanted to spend) and maybe a 50mm f/1.8 down the road and you should be good for awhile.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030209-REG/canon_9126b003_eos_a_rebel_t5_dslr.html

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.

I have the Nikon D610. Got it brand new for like $1400 a few months ago. I had traded my Canon 70D and some lenses for it and just had to pay the difference. I wanted to get an entry level FF camera. I was looking at the Canon 6D, but after comparing the 6D to D610, i ended up going with the D610 because it offered more for what I want to do. The 6D is a few years old too, so that factored into my decision.

Around your price range I'd take a look at this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d...lack/3643029.p?id=1219092579150&skuId=3643029

its like $500 but you get 2 lenses (18-55mm & 55-250mm)

This one is $446 w/just the 18-55mm lens

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/856049-REG/Nikon_25492_D3200_DSLR_Camera_With.html

We Ready

The Malarkey Cutter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
A few shots my wife took this morning

Gvu2mfB.jpg

xNPwR4n.jpg

y94fTHe.jpg

8xZ3CpH.jpg