Essential The Official Photography Thread

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
Brehs, my girl wants to get into photography and she wants a "professional" grade camera for christmas. I don't think she knows what she means when she says that and neither do I, but I want to keep it under $500 if possible.

A couple questions for the many skilled guys in here:
- Are cameras in this price range going to produce pics that are a marked improvement over iPhone's and the old school point and shoots? When we say improvement, how much an improvement would you say (if its even possible to say)?
- If so, which camera's would you recommend at that price range for an entry level person --- possibly allowing some room for growth later on?
- In case you think that price range isn't enough to start getting to that obvious step up from point and shoots, what would you say is the price range where that starts being the case?

I've looked through this thread and a lot of you guys have some great shots for real :salute:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
China
sam_0393.jpg

sam_0534.jpg

10592750_922593761088817_8044630108683186747_n.jpg

Tokyo
sam_0860.jpg

sam_06991.jpg

sam_0635.jpg

sam_0777mini.jpg

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Brehs, my girl wants to get into photography and she wants a "professional" grade camera for christmas. I don't think she knows what she means when she says that and neither do I, but I want to keep it under $500 if possible.

- Are cameras in this price range going to produce pics that are a marked improvement over iPhone's and the old school point and shoots? When we say improvement, how much an improvement would you say (if its even possible to say)?
- If so, which camera's would you recommend at that price range for an entry level person --- possibly allowing some room for growth later on?
- In case you think that price range isn't enough to start getting to that obvious step up from point and shoots, what would you say is the price range where that starts being the case?

I've looked through this thread and a lot of you guys have some great shots for real :salute:

You'll be able to find a camera that shyts on a camera phone for 500. Look into some of Sony's mirrorless cameras. The camera that I use is going for 600 right now with a kit lens... There are other models that are cheaper, but you won't have a viewfinder and maybe no pop up flash.

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
Started messing with the HD video function of the 7D, with the 50mm 1.8 :whoo:, I'm late to the game since my 30D didn't offer any video function, with this new cam and the lenses I have :noah:. Took a video of my friends dirtbike yesterday, the detail and crispness was on point. Now I just need to get a steady mount so I can get it smooth. Any way here are few stills with the new camera.......

IMG_7969.jpg

IMG_7986.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland

I'm a Canon person myself, if you want to jump in the DSLR market (plenty of room to grow) here are some current deals. As far as improvement over and iPhone, quite a bit, especially when you look at lens options. I started with a Digital Rebel and a kit lens, kept it for 4 years and it tought me alot. The one thing I will say is all the camera's are just that a camera, not a lens wrapped in a smartphone or tablet, so you can focus on just that to get better at using it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040758-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t5_dslr.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030209-REG/canon_9126b003_eos_a_rebel_t5_dslr.html

I didnt know about this thread. Where do I start if I want to get into photography? :wow:

If you are camera shopping I would look at new and used. Figure out where you want a DSLR or a point & shoot. Keep in mind with a DSLR you are buying into a system (lens, flash, acc.) and they are not interchangeable from Canon to Nikon to Sony, etc. The room to grow will depend on your learning abilities and budget. Point & shoots are great because size wize they are hard to beat, no extra lenses to carry and you can grab some shots very easily. Whatever camera you get, practice as much as you can, it always helps and you can only get better.

KillSpray

Don't be mad
Daps
Reppin
The top of the City
You'll be able to find a camera that shyts on a camera phone for 500. Look into some of Sony's mirrorless cameras. The camera that I use is going for 600 right now with a kit lens... There are other models that are cheaper, but you won't have a viewfinder and maybe no pop up flash.

I'm a Canon person myself, if you want to jump in the DSLR market (plenty of room to grow) here are some current deals. As far as improvement over and iPhone, quite a bit, especially when you look at lens options. I started with a Digital Rebel and a kit lens, kept it for 4 years and it tought me alot. The one thing I will say is all the camera's are just that a camera, not a lens wrapped in a smartphone or tablet, so you can focus on just that to get better at using it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1040758-REG/canon_eos_rebel_t5_dslr.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1030209-REG/canon_9126b003_eos_a_rebel_t5_dslr.html

If you are camera shopping I would look at new and used. Figure out where you want a DSLR or a point & shoot. Keep in mind with a DSLR you are buying into a system (lens, flash, acc.) and they are not interchangeable from Canon to Nikon to Sony, etc. The room to grow will depend on your learning abilities and budget. Point & shoots are great because size wize they are hard to beat, no extra lenses to carry and you can grab some shots very easily. Whatever camera you get, practice as much as you can, it always helps and you can only get better.

You guys got an opinion on the Samsung NX300?

I looked at some sample pics and video from this camera and at that price I was impressed by the quality.... Even though some of what I saw was taken with a different lens than what comes with the cam out the box.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
You guys got an opinion on the Samsung NX300?

I looked at some sample pics and video from this camera and at that price I was impressed by the quality.... Even though some of what I saw was taken with a different lens than what comes with the cam out the box.
Thats the camera I shoot with. The pics above were shot in raw. I upgraded the lens to 18mm-55mm

shutterguy

Photographer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
brehs got my first camera i have no clue what im doing just got something light nikon d3300 ok for starter?

Congrats, that camera is perfectly fine for getting started. If it came with the kit lens that will get you going, only other lens I would get would be a 50mm f/1.8. Image quality will surpass the kit and you will learn a lot about aperture and depth of field. The main thing is constantly shoot and learn, alot of people start out in the full auto (green box) and gradually as they learn the camera they move to Manual, Shutter & Aperture priority modes to control their own settings. The more you shoot the more you look at what settings will get you the picture results you want. Tripod or monopod would be a good thing to have as well. Check out the camera forums for Nikon, wealth of info can be found.

FUPA

#LWO
Daps
Reppin
Lakers, Dodgers
Congrats, that camera is perfectly fine for getting started. If it came with the kit lens that will get you going, only other lens I would get would be a 50mm f/1.8. Image quality will surpass the kit and you will learn a lot about aperture and depth of field. The main thing is constantly shoot and learn, alot of people start out in the full auto (green box) and gradually as they learn the camera they move to Manual, Shutter & Aperture priority modes to control their own settings. The more you shoot the more you look at what settings will get you the picture results you want. Tripod or monopod would be a good thing to have as well. Check out the camera forums for Nikon, wealth of info can be found.

Thanks ive been playing with it and trying different settings and taking pics of random stuff just to get a feel for it. Ill post some pics lol dont hate on me bruhs. Everyone has told me to grab a 50mm f1.8 lens guess im gonna have to give it a go. Bout to join nikon forums thanks breh.