Essential The Official Photography Thread

Rich Spirit

#LeveledUp
Daps
Reppin
houston.
Well brehs, I traded my 70D and some equipment for the Nikon D610. I wanted an entry level full frame camera since I'm pretty new at this. I was deciding between the D610 and the Canon 6D. At the end the D610 offered more for the price than the 6D. Bought the 50mm 1.8 lens for it as well. Can't wait to put this to work :wow:

@Black_Tux just checked your flickr and noticed you use the D600. Dope photos btw

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Nobody got advice??

@spinoza
@Black_Tux
@T-K-G
@Uncle Grime.
@beejus
@Raiders
@Majestyx
@Klarifeye The Great
@SmarkMero

I'm bout to order some more prints but I don't want my pockets getting raped :sadcam::mjcry::to:
My bad I never got this notification, I had to search for the thread to post, but for prints I bought a printer, it was retail like $400 but I got it new for $100 they have done the sell/rebate at least twice that I know of you can print up to 13x19 and mine came with ink and paper, the only thing is the ink is like $100-120 but supposedly it doesnt need to be used all the time so the ink wont dry/clog up.

I got this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html
Plus I know how to window mount I figure once I start printing things I would sell some shyt from my spain trip. I got the printer in june havent opened it tho. I need to find a frame place.

Anyways
Im about to start building my portfolio and jump in the photography thing here are a couple from a shoot on Friday.

zBoIpSd.jpg

9oPapYP.jpg

qwPl1sg.jpg

IDK sometimes I look at my pics and think im pretty dope, but most of the time I feel like im lacking something. :mjcry: Any ideas on what im missing/how I can improve from what i've posted in this thread? Don't worry about my feelings, I need the truth :demonic:

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My bad I never got this notification, I had to search for the thread to post, but for prints I bought a printer, it was retail like $400 but I got it new for $100 they have done the sell/rebate at least twice that I know of you can print up to 13x19 and mine came with ink and paper, the only thing is the ink is like $100-120 but supposedly it doesnt need to be used all the time so the ink wont dry/clog up.

I got this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893738-REG/Canon_6228b002_Pixma_Pro_100_Photo_Inkjet.html
Plus I know how to window mount I figure once I start printing things I would sell some shyt from my spain trip. I got the printer in june havent opened it tho. I need to find a frame place.

Anyways
Im about to start building my portfolio and jump in the photography thing here are a couple from a shoot on Friday.

zBoIpSd.jpg

9oPapYP.jpg

qwPl1sg.jpg

IDK sometimes I look at my pics and think im pretty dope, but most of the time I feel like im lacking something. :mjcry: Any ideas on what im missing/how I can improve from what i've posted in this thread? Don't worry about my feelings, I need the truth :demonic:
yv1biK2.png
Pics got a nice basis Breh. Now if you want that extra;

Don't think text book looks.

Bring in more of a background to add atmosphere (candid) have life around your subject.

Try new lighting techniques.

Try Natural Light.

Experiment with your editing styles.

Try various focal lengths (Wide Angle up close).

Look at the work of others and get a feel as to how they see things.

PRIME LENSES BREH WILL SET YOU FREE!!!!:blessed:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
cop more photography books breh, not like textbooks, but actual photobooks, preferably someone who's a O.G. at whatever particular lane you're trying to be in, mix that with what you're doing now and you'll be >>> the local competition
my ex got me Magnum Contact Sheets and :whew: there's so much insight, the way some of these people's minds work are :wow:

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cop more photography books breh, not like textbooks, but actual photobooks, preferably someone who's a O.G. at whatever particular lane you're trying to be in, mix that with what you're doing now and you'll be >>> the local competition
my ex got me Magnum Contact Sheets and :whew: there's so much insight, the way some of these people's minds work are :wow:
Daidō Moriyama and Nobuyoshi Araki Tha Gawds!
6JiF5BB.png

@Raiders Hit up the exhibitions and check out sites like
PDN
Lens Culture
Time Photo
Feature Shoot
C-Heads
booooooom.com
Purple Diary
Leica Blog
American Photo
World Press Photo
LCjournal
Panos Pictures
YUME MAGAZINE

Last edited:

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
Daidō Moriyama and Nobuyoshi Araki Tha Gawds!
6JiF5BB.png

@Raiders Hit up the exhibitions and check out sites like
hold up nikka you up on Daido the GAWD too :krs:

along with him i'd say Henri Cartier-Bresson for street shyt :noah:

william eggleston for immaculate color photography :wow:

way too many people to name

soaking up books/shooting>>> thinking a new body or lens is gonna push you over the edge

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps

I looked for a PDF/epub of it and couldnt find it. :scust:

Its $50 on Amazon, but in not in a place to drop $50 on a book right now :mjcry: it looks dope tho.

I do have a few digital photography book I think still, I read one and dont feel like i learned much, and never touched the rest. I'll look over what I have until I can affod the hardcopy.
yv1biK2.png
Pics got a nice basis Breh. Now if you want that extra;

Don't think text book looks.

Bring in more of a background to add atmosphere (candid) have life around your subject.

Try new lighting techniques.

Try Natural Light.

Experiment with your editing styles.

Try various focal lengths (Wide Angle up close).

Look at the work of others and get a feel as to how they see things.

I never read my textbooks in photography class.:lolbron: Maybe i should go back and read them :mjcry:

I didnt have a lighting technique, I had a flash and a friend holding it behind a a small diffuser trying to instruct him on where to put the light and why, and at the same time trying to instuct the girl on what to do, she has never modeled before, but hey you work with what you have:yeshrug: I have a light stand and umbrella on the way tho, so i should be in more control of the lighting.

I couldnt do natural light because we got there about 30 min before sunset, so it was rushed, and then once the sun set artificial was my only option. I do need to get some gels because shooting with two separate temperature light is a pain to edit :sadcam:

I think thats my thing, I need to study other photographers. Right now, I really only see shyt from this thread.

I used a prime for the shoot a 50mm, but on a full frame its not really my cup of tea

ANd thanks for the sites, ima look into them.

T-K-G

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Starkset
I looked for a PDF/epub of it and couldnt find it. :scust:

Its $50 on Amazon, but in not in a place to drop $50 on a book right now :mjcry: it looks dope tho.

I think thats my thing, I need to study other photographers. Right now, I really only see shyt from this thread.

I used a prime for the shoot a 50mm, but on a full frame its not really my cup of tea

ANd thanks for the sites, ima look into them.
i've only had this book for like 3 weeks and this shyt readin like the holy grail :mjcry:

studying other photographers makes a world of difference, learning the science by yourself is one thing, but seeing it applied and explained at the highest level is :ohlawd:

SmarkMero

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

soaking up books/shooting>>> thinking a new body or lens is gonna push you over the edge

Breh, the nikka taught me the lesson to just get out there and shoot:wow:

watching this was that moment that I knew:mjcry:

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL

Don't forget Vivian Maier...she top 5 D.O.A

Imma see the GAWDon Parks exhibit this week too :lawd::banderas:

Anyways

zBoIpSd.jpg

9oPapYP.jpg

qwPl1sg.jpg

I would just experiment with your editing. Try compositing random colors and textures, or randomly playing with your lightroom sliders. Its very easy to get in a routine and process your images in a similar way. I think i personally got better when I stopped worrying about being technically right and making sure my color balance was "accurate" and just did shyt I thought was interesting :ehh:

Find another photographer who has a contrasting style with yours and see how you can take ideas and merge em.

I like that last pic btw

full

Last edited: