The Official Netflix Marvel's "Luke Cage" Season 1 Thread

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
But what’s most distinctive about the series is the way it puts race — and specifically pride in Harlem, where the show takes place — at the center of the story.

This approach has a couple of effects, beyond the unusual (for the superhero genre) and welcome element of diversity. The selling of Harlem as a literary-artistic wonderland is distracting in what’s basically a straightforward, middling-quality comic-book adaptation about a reluctant hero taking on gangsters and crooked politicians.

And it often feels like the cultural lessons are getting in the way of the genre fun.

the show from which it was semispun off, it looks decidedly average. Mr. Colter was better served there, playing a stoic Cage in a supporting role — here he doesn’t seem comfortable carrying the show. And “Jones” pulled off the trick of being both a compelling narrative and a smart, frightening commentary (in that case, on predatory male behavior). “Cage” tries to do a similar thing with racial politics but gets lost in platitudes. Its messages don’t get under your skin.

-The New York Times

:stopitslime::francis::usure::dwillhuh::what::why::mjpls::mjpls::mjpls:
Lets see how they let "culture and racial pride slide" when Iron Fist comes out:sas2:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
They gonna act like most movies, shows, and video games ain't all white now. Lololololol

3976532-0555207706-seper.jpg

Dat Diversity... :troll:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Liking the show, but god damn I'm getting bored with all the black shows being set in ny and Atlanta. :mad:

Edit: i keep forgetting this is a comic, seeing remy as this villain is wild lol

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Quentin Tarantino Disappointed by Luke Cage Changes

Fans are diving into Marvel's latest Netflix series Luke Cage right about now, but there is one creator who isn't in such a rush to see it.

That creator happens to be Quentin Tarantino, and his apathy for the series doesn't have anything to do with the character or actors, but specifically the timeframe in which the show is based. Tarantino told Yahoo's Khail Anonymous about his brief chance to work with the character early in his career.

“I’m a huge fan. I had even considered, after Reservoir Dogs, doing a Luke Cage movie. But I ended up doing Pulp Fiction instead. So I think I might have made the right choice.”

While Tarantino is a huge fan of Cage, he is specifically a fan of the 1970's version of the hero and isn't so thrilled that they show takes place in modern day.

“Well, frankly, to tell you the truth, I might be one of the pains in their asses because I love the way the character was presented so much in the ’70s,” Tarantino admitted. “I’m not really that open to a rethinking on who he was. I just think that first issue, that origin issue … was so good, and it was really Marvel’s attempt to try to do a blacksploitation movie vibe as one of their superhero comics. And I thought they nailed it. Absolutely nailed it. So, just take that Issue 1 and put it in script form and do that. The Luke Cage: Hero for Hire era … that’s the era.”

Breh takes fetishizing black people and black culture to a whole new level :scusthov:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound

Ripp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Queens
They explain ALL of that in further episodes. Not going to spoil anything for you, but it's deeper than c00ning. Cottonmouth is out to PROVE something to himself...

Don't know how to do spoilers but I laughed out loud think about this post when I saw the episode and what happened. I'm like finally the back story then.....:patrice: