Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Thats how it goes sometimes. Look at Enzo Calzaghe. He was only good for his son. Floyd Sr. Who has he ever brought up and maintained to a world class status besides his own son? Where is Jack Leow? Norman Stone? There are very few world class trainers who can be good for so many people.

Dawson looked his best under Floyd Sr. imo

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
santa-cruz-mares-photo%20(2)%20(720x480).jpg

santa-cruz-mares-photo%20(3)%20(720x480).jpg

santa-cruz-mares-photo%20(9)%20(720x480).jpg

GzUp

Sleep, those slices of death; Oh how I loathe them
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
California
i feel like i ask this every week but what time is the weight in :snoop:

King P

Legends Never Die
Daps
Reppin
Views From The X
I don't see LSC's power translating at 126. Plus he's looked like shyt his past couple fights against jobbers.

Not a fan of Bruno Mares, but he has enough left in the tank to finish off Santa Cruz

Amare's Right Hook

Southeast World Champion
Daps
I don't see LSC's power translating at 126. Plus he's looked like shyt his past couple fights against jobbers.

Not a fan of Bruno Mares, but he has enough left in the tank to finish off Santa Cruz

Bruno Mares.

:deadmanny:

Print it !!

I too am not a Mares fan, stan what have you I just think he wins this match up.

Newzz

"The Truth" always prevails
Supporter
Daps
Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares promise fight-of-the-year performance
3h - Boxing
  • 69 Shares
  • Email
  • Comment
i

i

Dan Rafael, ESPN Senior Writer
Close
  • 2013 BWAA Nat Fleischer Award winner for excellence in boxing journalism
  • ESPN.com boxing writer since 2005
  • Five years at USA Today

LOS ANGELES -- Leo Santa Cruz and Abner Mares have already both accomplished much in their careers, but they have also taken their share of criticism over the past couple of years for fighting a slate of opponents softer than a good pillow.

Leo Santa Cruz vs. Abner Mares
Where: Staples Center, Los Angeles
When: Saturday, 10 p.m. ET
TV: ESPN

That is finally going to change in a big way, however, as the Southern California fighters, both from Mexico and among boxing's most crowd-pleasing combatants, prepare to face each other in a much-anticipated 12-round non-title featherweight fight that headlines a Premier Boxing Champions card on Saturday night (ESPN, 10 ET) at the Staples Center.

"This is definitely the biggest fight of my career," Mares said.

Santa Cruz said it is also his biggest fight.

"It's the first time I'm the main event, and then also because it's the first time I'm going to fight a fighter that's on a big level," Santa Cruz said. "Like the fans said, they wanted me to fight a fighter that is at the elite level, and I think Mares right now is the hardest opponent I ever faced."

Although there is no world title at stake, there are L.A. bragging rights up for grabs, and the match is perhaps the highest-profile fight that could be made in the 126-pound division. It also shapes up as an action-packed battle, one fans and media have clamored for.

It took a while for Al Haymon, who manages them both, to finally set up the fight that both fighters say they have longed for.

"I've been looking forward to this fight for many years; many years fans have been excited," Mares said. "I've been wanting to fight. I've been calling out Leo this whole year, called him out on radio shows, in person. And it's finally here. I'm really, really excited to fight."

Santa Cruz, who sparred around 30 rounds with Mares a few years ago, said this is a fight he has also had his eye on.

"I've wanted to fight him for a long time," Santa Cruz said. "I wanted this fight three years ago and they said I wasn't on Mares' level. I said I was going to work hard to get on that level so one day we can make it happen, and here we are.

"I started my career and I saw Mares in my weight class and he has been really good throughout his career. I think I had like four, five fights at the time and I knew that maybe in the future we're going to have to face each other and I never doubted that we were going to face each other. So, yes, it was always in my mind that sooner or later we're going to face each other."

While the 27-year-old Santa Cruz (30-0-1, 17 KOs), a highly entertaining volume puncher, has won world titles in the bantamweight and junior featherweight divisions -- he still owns a junior featherweight crown but will be fighting as a featherweight for the second bout in a row -- he has fought mostly no-names and club fighters in recent years as his team sought to shield him while he amassed high six-figure purses.

"I wanted to listen to the fans and the criticism, and then I wished I could choose and say I'm going to fight this fighter, and just go on ahead and fight him. But I had to leave it to my team," Santa Cruz said. "They're here to protect me. They know what's right. So that's why I listen to [Haymon, and to Santa Cruz's father/trainer Jose Santa Cruz] and they know what's best. But sooner or later, I'm going to fight the fight that the fans want.
"I need this win for my legacy and to get to that next level. I'm here to fight the best."

Mares (29-1-1, 15 KOs), 29, had a meteoric rise, winning world titles in three weight classes -- bantamweight, junior featherweight and featherweight -- over a 22-month period from 2011 to 2013. He has faced a gantlet of top-notch opponents in his career, including Jhonny Gonzalez, Daniel Ponce De Leon, Anselmo Moreno, Joseph Agbeko (twice), Vic Darchinyan and Yonnhy Perez.

But since losing his featherweight crown by stunning first-round knockout to Gonzalez in a big upset in August 2013, Mares has faced three soft touches in a row. All the while, fans and media howled about the lack of quality matchups featuring Mares or Santa Cruz and beat the drum for the pair to face each other.

Although Mares has faced the much better overall opposition, he is the betting underdog, undoubtedly because of the KO loss to Gonzalez and the decision to pull out of the rematch and not reschedule it.

"I've definitely faced tougher opponents than he has," Mares said of Santa Cruz. "I've been in against legitimate champions. I'm taking him to deep waters. My loss is completely forgotten. In life you have obstacles, especially in this sport. I'm over it. I'm back. This is where I want to be. When I fight guys the level of Leo Santa Cruz, it brings the best out of me.

"I'm going up against a young, undefeated, talented and strong Leo Santa Cruz. He's never tasted defeat. All of that motivates me to go in there and be the first one to take him down."

"I've been looking forward to this fight for many years; many years fans have been excited. I've been wanting to fight. I've been calling out Leo this whole year, called him out on radio shows, in person. And it's finally here.

Mares said he understands that many wanted to see this fight a bit sooner, but he believes this is the right time.

"It could have [been sooner] but you know, things happen for a reason and fights get made at weird times for business issues," Mares said. "But I think it's the perfect time for both. Leo [now] has more experience, he's been fighting great, and myself, after my defeat, I've fought three times and my mindset is there. So I think it's a perfect time for both."

In the co-feature, Mexican countrymen Hugo Ruiz (35-2, 31 KOs) and Julio Cesar Ceja (29-1, 26 KOs) square off for an interim junior featherweight title. The winner will become the full titleholder should Santa Cruz remain at featherweight. If Santa Cruz returns to junior featherweight, the Ruiz-Ceja winner will get a mandatory fight against him.

Santa Cruz and Mares have both been a staple of the Southern California boxing scene and are popular among the fans. Both figure to have large cheering sections on Saturday night.

But who will be the fan favorite?

"I'm not worried about the crowd and who they're rooting for. I'm there to make everybody a believer," Mares said. "It's going to be an amazing atmosphere, and I can't wait."

Said Santa Cruz, "I think the crowd will be 50-50. We're both from here, so it's going to be crazy. At the end of the fight it's going to be rowdy. We're excited that they're showing love and we'll give them a great fight."

That is the expectation -- a great fight. Mares and Santa Cruz both have a penchant for being in action fights. Both have good boxing skills, but their nature is to engage.

And that is why so many are expecting a fight of the year candidate, including both participants.

"I think we are going to make it a fight of the year," Mares said. "I have no question in my mind that that will be it."

Said Santa Cruz, "In my mind this is a fight of the year because we're both Mexican street fighters. We come forward trying to please the fans and I think this is going to be a great fight. I think he's a great fighter and everything, and I see this fight like almost a 50-50 [fight]. It could go either way because he's a good fighter, I'm a good fighter, so I think it's going to be great."

"No one wants to lose. We're going to leave everything in the ring. When two Mexicans fight each other, it's always bloody. We both have everything to lose."

Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares promise fight-of-the-year performance

Im ready for this fight:blessed:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
PBC on ESPN Weights: Mares 125.4, Santa Cruz 124.8

Posted by: Jake Donovan on 8/28/2015 .
>>>Click Here For Tons of More Breaking Boxing News, Articles and Insider Information<<<

By Jake Donovan
Boxing fans and media like have eagerly awaited the long-awaited featherweight showdown between Abner Mares and Leo Santa Cruz. So, too, have the fighters themselves, as they were both already within the 126 lb. contracted weight prior to the weigh-in.
Naturally, both fighters easily made weight ahead of their scheduled 12-round clash Saturday evening at Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. Mares came in at a ripped 125.4 lbs., while Santa Cruz weighed 124.8 lbs., barely heavier than his last fight despite this being his first scheduled fight at the full featherweight limit.
ESPN will air the fight live in primetime, beginning at 10:00 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. PT, as part of the network’s latest installment of the Premier Boxing Champions (PBC) series.

Santa Cruz (31-0-1, 17KOs) rose to prominence beginning with his June '12 bantamweight title win over Vusi Malinga. The all-action pressure fighter brawled his way into the hearts of boxing fans thanks to his tireless workrate and active schedule.

Momentum was slowly building towards a planned showdown with Mares (29-1-1, 15KOs), who at his peak was an undefeated fighter with titles claimed in three weight classes. Dating back to his 12-round draw with Yhonny Perez, the road on which Mares embarked was nearly unrivaled, posting wins over Vic Darchinyan, Joseph Agbeko (twice), Eric Morel, Anslemo Moreno and Daniel Ponce de Leon.

Had both won their respective bouts on the same Aug. '13 show, it's possible this matchup could have taken place much sooner. Santa Cruz did his part, icing Victor Terrazas in three rounds to claim a super bantamweight title, which he still possesses (more or less) to this day.

Mares, however, fell miserably short as he suffered a shocking 1st round knockout loss to a resurgent Jhonny Gonzalez in what went down as the 2013 Upset of the Year.

Neither fighter has lit the boxing world afire since that night. Santa Cruz' competition level has declined, to the point of drawing stark criticism and his combat readiness called into question despite having remained unbeaten.

Mares has won three straight, but has yet to prove that he has all the way recovered from the lone loss of his career. Perhaps it takes a certain opponent to bring out the best in him, which we will find out on Saturday night.

Opening the telecast, Julio Ceja and Hugo Ruiz will contender for an interim version of the super bantamweight title still in Santa Cruz’ possession.
The winner will be the mandatory challenger for Santa Cruz. In the event that Santa Cruz opts to not return to the super bantamweight division—win, lose or draw versus Mares—the winner will then be named super bantamweight champ.
Both fighters make their U.S. debut in the matchup and are in phenomenal condition as they easily made weight. Ceja tipped the scales at a fine-tuned 121 lbs., while Ruiz was a ripped-and-lean 121.4 lbs.
Ceja (29-1, 26KOs) suffered his only loss in his lone title fight to date, dropping a heartbreaking decision to Jamie McDonnel in their May ’13 vacant bantamweight title fight on the road in England. The 22-year old knockout artist from Mexico has since won five straight, including a 10-round decision over countryman Oscar Blanquet in his most recent fight this past March.
Ruiz (35-2, 31KOs) previously claimed an interim bantamweight title, but—like Ceja—came up short contending for the real thing in his opponent’s backyard. The free-swinging slugger from boxing-rich Los Mochis, Mexico gave Koki Kameda all that he could handle in dropping a disputed split decision in their Dec. ’12 clash in Osaka, Japan.
Just four fights have followed and none since last November, though hardly by his own doing. Ruiz—who turns 29 in September—saw two separate ordered fights fall by the wayside.
Ruiz’ promoter, Promociones del Pueblo, won the purse bid for a final elimination bout with former four-division champion Nonito Donaire. However, the matter became a non-starter, as Top Rank was already steering Donaire for a fight in Macau (which he won), followed by plans to a desired showdown with unbeaten super bantamweight titlist Scott Quigg later this year.
Rather than order another eliminator, it was decided that Ruiz would earn a mandatory title shot by default. However, Santa Cruz’ decision to move up to featherweight to face Mares left Ruiz to settle for a consolation prize in the form of his dangerous clash with Ceja.
FULL WEIGHTS
Leo Santa Cruz, 124.8 lbs. vs. Abner Mares, 125.4 lbs.—12 rds, featherweight
Hugo Ruiz, 121.4 lbs. vs. Julio Ceja, 121 lbs.—12 rds, super bantamweight
Alejandro Luna, 135 lbs. vs. Sergio Lopez, 134.2 lbs.
Alfredo Angulo, 163 lbs. vs. Hector Muñoz, 159.8 lbs.
Jessie Roman 144.2 lbs. vs. Hector Serrano 143.8 lbs.
Brian Castano, 158.4 lbs. vs. Jonathan Batista, 158.2 lbs.
Alan Castano vs. Tom Howard
Anthony Flores vs. Curtis Morton
Paul Mendez vs. Andrik Saralegui
Min Wook Kim vs. Miguel Huerta
Antonio Santa Cruz vs. Isaiah Najera